Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:49 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

One other item. I charged it all night. When I woke up this morning and the battery level was at 91%. I have th 160gb unit and the drive is constantly spining, no matter if it is just sitting there, this can't bode well for batterry life!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:16 pm 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

arielgon wrote:
I did the upadate as Jaffar indicated as well as the way shown on chippy's video, but I still have the follwoing issues:

* While transferring files unit randomly disconnects from PC
* Craigsphone crashes when selecteing a listing (forced Close message)
* KKV - No audio this could be that they are encoded in AC3, but on my previous 5 it would tell me I needed the pug-in. On the android just no sound

How do you connect?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:38 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Jaffar wrote:
arielgon wrote:
I did the upadate as Jaffar indicated as well as the way shown on chippy's video, but I still have the follwoing issues:

* While transferring files unit randomly disconnects from PC
* Craigsphone crashes when selecteing a listing (forced Close message)
* KKV - No audio this could be that they are encoded in AC3, but on my previous 5 it would tell me I needed the pug-in. On the android just no sound

How do you connect?

Mobile media Device (MTP)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:33 am 
Archos User
Archos User

SvenC wrote:
Okay.
Please, give me a detailed instruction for the FW-update (I hope I will get my Android tomorrow).
If possible, step by step.
All the information here in the thread are very nebulous and not very helpful.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2342158
Can't get easier then this. This is my second day, no crashes and the TV show I recorded last night played fine, no lock-ups.... I'm starting to love my A5A, but then I loved my A5 til the harddrive took a dump..... That is why I'm so happy they did a Flash unit again. I have alot of 16GB Micro SDHC cards so space is not a problem..... Good luck with your reload, I hope it works as good for you as it did for me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:00 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thank you. :D
waiting for the device....waiting for the device...waiting for the device

/edit
it works fine for me. Thanks.
That was funny. Before the update, there was no "keyboard" available during the input of the WiFi settings. It is now visible after the update. :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:15 am 
Archos User
Archos User

OH JOY, OH REPTURE...... Day three and my A5A has been rock solid since I did the fresh install, I'm in love..... :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:18 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

FM wired remote not working....
there is no sound through the remote (no LED) and the internal loudspeaker is playing when I plug the remote to the device and when I unplug the headphones...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:29 am 
Archos User
Archos User

SvenC wrote:
there is no sound through the remote (no LED) and the internal loudspeaker is playing when I plug the remote to the device and when I unplug the headphones...

Is that from the A5? I don't use the FM remote. I'm sure you rebooted the unit with it pluged in, right?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:47 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I remember reading somewhere that the FM Remote was not compatible with the new A5 as the new A5 has a built-in FM receiver.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:22 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Theojt wrote:
No luck with the application logger Alsutton. Looks like its needs something that does not exist on my unit.

Sooooo...on to Format/Recovery. Here are the exact steps I performed.

1. Power off unit completely (not to standby).

2. While pressing Power button, also press Vol + this will boot into Recovery mode. NOTE: Use Vol + and Vol - keys to move in the menu, use Power button to Select.

4. Select Format, and confirm. Device will format, indicated by message "Format Disk - Part 1" and "Please Wait". This took about 2 minutes on my device.

5. Next message on device: "Setting up operating system". This took about 1 minute on my device.

6. Next message on device: "Connect your device to your PC and install an update file. When I connect, it looks like a standard USB driver is installed and the device (at this point poiint) is merely an external drive.

7. Copy the firmware onto the device and Press the Power button. The firmware update will be applied. It took about 5 minutes on my device.

8 Next message on device: "update successful ok" and "press the On/Off button to restart.

9. Up and running again!

Applications present after Recovery:

- Alarm Clock
- Browser
- Calculator
- Contacts
- DVB-T
- Email
- File Manager
- Gallery
- Global Time
- Music
- Settings
- Sound Recorder
- ThinkFree Mobile

On to installing other apps and testing. again....

Jeff

Step 7 just keeps kicking me back to the "Would you like to recover your system?" page and when I try to reboot it it comes back to this screen as well. And when I connect back to my computer the firmware file is gone.

Now I have a brick. Any ideas???

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:11 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

caseyatbt wrote:
Theojt wrote:
No luck with the application logger Alsutton. Looks like its needs something that does not exist on my unit.

Sooooo...on to Format/Recovery. Here are the exact steps I performed.

1. Power off unit completely (not to standby).

2. While pressing Power button, also press Vol + this will boot into Recovery mode. NOTE: Use Vol + and Vol - keys to move in the menu, use Power button to Select.

4. Select Format, and confirm. Device will format, indicated by message "Format Disk - Part 1" and "Please Wait". This took about 2 minutes on my device.

5. Next message on device: "Setting up operating system". This took about 1 minute on my device.

6. Next message on device: "Connect your device to your PC and install an update file. When I connect, it looks like a standard USB driver is installed and the device (at this point poiint) is merely an external drive.

7. Copy the firmware onto the device and Press the Power button. The firmware update will be applied. It took about 5 minutes on my device.

8 Next message on device: "update successful ok" and "press the On/Off button to restart.

9. Up and running again!

Applications present after Recovery:

- Alarm Clock
- Browser
- Calculator
- Contacts
- DVB-T
- Email
- File Manager
- Gallery
- Global Time
- Music
- Settings
- Sound Recorder
- ThinkFree Mobile

On to installing other apps and testing. again....

Jeff

Step 7 just keeps kicking me back to the "Would you like to recover your system?" page and when I try to reboot it it comes back to this screen as well. And when I connect back to my computer the firmware file is gone.

Now I have a brick. Any ideas???

dont press the power button hard!!!

look at the video ----> http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2342158
once you upload the file.. you essentially press the power button once ( dont keep it pressed) to select 'done'

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:53 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

teslabe wrote:
SvenC wrote:

Is that from the A5? I don't use the FM remote. I'm sure you rebooted the unit with it pluged in, right?

It is the new A5 Android 500 GB device and it seems that the remote is not compatible with the new Android model. :(
The problem is also that the internal loudspeaker is switched on when I unplug the headphone from the normal headphone jack (the setting for the internal loudspeaker is OFF)....
The Android is a litle bit greater and it is recommend for using the wired remote. ;)

Another thing. How can I use the GPS software AFTER FW-recovery (I installed the latest FW regarding the instructions see above)?
I installed the software from the CD, but I don┬┤t see any "link" or icon on the Android. What should I do then? :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

desigunda wrote:

dont press the power button hard!!!

look at the video ----> http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2342158
once you upload the file.. you essentially press the power button once ( dont keep it pressed) to select 'done'

I am only pressing it the one time. The file I got from the Archos FTP site is apks_package_3.0.aos is this correct?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
caseyatbt

I am only pressing it the one time. The file I got from the Archos FTP site is apks_package_3.0.aos is this correct?

No that is just to get any missing Apps installed you need the firmware which you can get on the Archos site after logging in

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

For the applications, which lost with the FW-update you must use the apks_package_3.0.aos.
Copy to the root on the device and start the installation wizard (settings -> repair and formatting tools).
After device-restart, the wizard startes and copies the lost applications back to the desktop (including my missed GPS icon :D).
This is a little bit tricky, but it works fine for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

te3b0r wrote:
No that is just to get any missing Apps installed you need the firmware which you can get on the Archos site after logging in

Great! Thanks for clarifying. I will do this tonight.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:34 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

caseyatbt wrote:
te3b0r wrote:

Great! Thanks for clarifying. I will do this tonight.

Here is a link to the firmware

http://update.archos.com/7/archos5/arch ... rchos5.aos

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:44 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

A bug?
During music playback and after skip back to the Album choice, the device crashed.
A reboot was sucessfull, but the media center? hungs and only a force-shutdown was possible (via the normal poer buton incl. the normal reboot sequence). After restart, I had the same problem as today. The internal loudspeaker was switched on, although it was already switched off in the settings. In addition, the EQ and the loudspeaker choices were greyed out.
It was okay after deletion of the device configuration and after a reboot....

It was the second time today with the internal loudspeaker and the EQ settings. :?

Another nice thing, I heard a stuttering in the music files while display settings etc. After reboot, the stuttering is gone. ;)

Last edited by SvenC on Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:02 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Another one.
Is this correct that the battery charging icon flashes, although the battery has 100% and the LED flashes?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:49 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I received my 500 GB from mp3hotgear and loaded / re-installed the new firmware immediately. All in all it is a nice device but still buggy (but usable) and certain things need to be improved for user experience.

My applicane is using it in the car for MP3 (huge collection>32 SD Card and dont want to be sd jockey, was already a disk(ette) jockey), GPS, Bluetoot, DVD, Internet, etc. etc. The following things do not work or are not optimal:

- Switching to music library is taking too long. Should be immediate. Now with my 2 GB collection (when all copied over 100 GB) it takes 2-3 seconds to show library starting from home screen. Since this is a often used function (media library) it should be instant

- When you are in another application, it is not easy to go back to current music/playlist

- Long, looooon, looooooong GSP fix. 8 Minutes is what I can confrm, after Stand-by it seems to be faster but havent checked

- Often loosing GPS signal often although I put the device directly under the front window (or does it receive signals from theside as well). Where is the GSP antenna.

- Neither NDrive nor Copilot 8 are usable. Copilot has resolution issues (icons not displayed properly and you have to tap 5-10 pixel up-left). NDrive is a shame starting with the installation (does not run on 64 bit systems) and once you want to activate the card for the trial, you receive an HTTP error to try again later. Sorry guys, the money I wanted to spend for your soft will now go somewhere else (Tomtom, garmin, Copilot when resolution issue fixed - seems very good, no 3d photo maps but they bother more than help anyway)

- FM Reception with headphones is okay, with audio jack to my head unit I dont get any stations. So can not get rid of head unit then...

- Vibration of hard disk is not so bad. You can feel it of course but it is okay. No disk locks (or is the explanation for the long media library access times)

- Suspend/Stand-bye is not working via timer only when power button is pressed 1-2 secs and you then choose suspend. Is this normal behaviour and this be configured somewhere?

- Had a couple of "hangs". Archo keep going to stabilize and make more perforamnt than adding tons of features

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next