Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:57 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:16 pm 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Correct about the GPS, there is no subscribtion fee of any kind. You buy the software licence as you would do for any other software and it is yours, today or in 10 years.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jaffar wrote:
On this unit there are two parts that do not interfere one with the other. The OS part and the multimedia part. So doing a reset of the Android part only is equal to a fresh install without wiping oout the multimedia content.

The video Charbax posted is good for the A5 Gen6, not for this one.

Sorry to give wrong advice to forum users on how to clean install.. Hopefully, the recovery formatting tools cannot harm the device but is just a waste of time for users who have to backup their files first when it's not required.

Not yet having the Archos Android myself, it's pretty hard to have to guess how things may be done to help with administration and moderation of the free high-quality 24-hour Archos consumer support on this forum.

I'm looking forward to getting one though, to make the detailed video reviews and to improve on the quality of the 24-hour latest news/ideas/discussions coverage and free support on this forum and to improve also my contributions in generating more enthusiasm for Archos generally on the whole web.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 5:09 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

LOL! If that's not an extremely unsubtle hint for a freebie, I don't know what is! ;)

Best of luck, Charbax... :-)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

judgechuck wrote:
LOL! If that's not an extremely unsubtle hint for a freebie, I don't know what is! ;)

Best of luck, Charbax... :-)

Nail on the head there. Man, I laughed. Hopefully Charbax, you'll get one from Archos as you're really trying with this forum (and it is the only English speaking forum for Archos (that I know of).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:44 pm 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

yes, he'll be getting one of course.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Jaffar wrote:
yes, he'll be getting one of course.

See what the loyalty gets ya....free stuff. Good for you Charbax!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax, you owe me!! :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:41 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Chabby are you sure you are not on their payroll?....Well all in all Charbax has done a good job despite you know what....I am not gonna say it lest Charbax calls me a Troll...I know I said it... :lol:

It seems like things are slowly being addressed and the important thing is they are being addressed. Now we just have to wait for them to start distributing to Canada...maybe 2 months from now...I just noticed that future shop is selling Archos 5 120GB for $429.00. I wonder why?

Post subject: Re: New Firmware 1.1.01
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:49 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Jaffar wrote:
Charbax wrote:
Jaffar wrote:
I would rather advise you to start from a fresh install with this firmware update. It should help in solving some of the unstability issues you may have encountered with the previous release.

So do you recommend that the user first go in the recovery mode and format the whole storage (make a backup first) before updating to this new firmware?

I would advise Archos to try to give any tips for how to avoid the memory leaks or other bugs that are identified. Something like if Archos could "simply" provide an official bug reports and suggestions for "Clear cache and temp files" or "Full recovery through format/restore". Which file types or apps to avoid trying to load (which may cause memory leaks?). I mean, if you can find the time, that would be helpful.

It would also help to lower the noise level coming from the forum trolls.

NOOOOOO. DON'T. In the A5 IT, the system tools are divided now in two parts (3). In case you have issues related to the operating system only (badly behaving apps and so on) go in the Settings > About Device > Repair and Formatting tools and select the second option Delete device configuration and installed application. This will reset the operating system but will not harm and touch your multimedia files.

So do I do this after or before I upgrade the new firmware?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:13 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Before the upgrade.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:21 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Charbax wrote:
Jaffar wrote:
On this unit there are two parts that do not interfere one with the other. The OS part and the multimedia part. So doing a reset of the Android part only is equal to a fresh install without wiping oout the multimedia content.

The video Charbax posted is good for the A5 Gen6, not for this one.

Sorry to give wrong advice to forum users on how to clean install.. Hopefully, the recovery formatting tools cannot harm the device but is just a waste of time for users who have to backup their files first when it's not required.

I don't think it was bad advice, at least not for me..... I went from a very buggy unit to a very stable one in about a half hour and that includes over 15GBs of
Battlestar Galactica 4.0 and 4.5 video getting reloaded. Though not totally perfect, it's the best to date...... I can now format an SD card and the accelerometer's now know which way I'm holding it, my bluetooth mouse work great and the WiFi is working fine. But there are still some little bugs, the unit locks up when I pull it from thr DVR station after doing a recording, I'll try powering down before hand, next time. Also when I played the video the headphones didn't work, the sound was coming from the speaker and in the settings it was grayed out so you could not switch to the headphones. I rebooted the unit and played the video again, this time the headphones worked fine. Some small bugs, but bugs none the less...... I hope for a new update to fix these problems.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:27 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

teslabe wrote:
I don't think it was bad advice, at least not for me..... I went from a very buggy unit to a very stable one in about a half hour and that includes over 15GBs of
Battlestar Galactica 4.0 and 4.5 video getting reloaded. Though not totally perfect, it's the best to date...... I can now format an SD card and the accelerometer's now know which way I'm holding it, my bluetooth mouse work great and the WiFi is working fine. But there are still some little bugs, the unit locks up when I pull it from thr DVR station after doing a recording, I'll try powering down before hand, next time. Also when I played the video the headphones didn't work, the sound was coming from the speaker and in the settings it was grayed out so you could not switch to the headphones. I rebooted the unit and played the video again, this time the headphones worked fine. Some small bugs, but bugs none the less...... I hope for a new update to fix these problems.

That's good to hear.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:51 am 
Archos User
Archos User

O.K., I just noticed the time was off, again..... This is the second time I've had this happen and I'm not sure when it happened. I set the time and date last night after doing the reload and when I put in the dock just a minute ago I noticed it was wrong, it was way off...... What gives??????

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:28 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I had to change the time after the update.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:39 am 
Archos User
Archos User

To anyone with a harddrive based unit - after the update how is it switching songs or trying to change the volume right after selecting a song? Those were reported to be slow before.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:41 am 
Archos User
Archos User

RioT wrote:
I had to change the time after the update.

After doing a format and reinstall, the first thing the unit wants you to do is set the date and time...... So yes I did set the time afterwards.... This is a on going bug......

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:11 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The time thing isn't a worth wile bug. I can just changd the time myself.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:20 am 
Archos User
Archos User

teslabe wrote:

Good to hear that the the player is stable.

I'll take a wait and see approach to see how things go.

But the way things are looking i might be getting this soon.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:30 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Okay.
Please, give me a detailed instruction for the FW-update (I hope I will get my Android tomorrow).
If possible, step by step.
All the information here in the thread are very nebulous and not very helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:40 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I did the upadate as Jaffar indicated as well as the way shown on chippy's video, but I still have the follwoing issues:

* While transferring files unit randomly disconnects from PC
* Craigsphone crashes when selecteing a listing (forced Close message)
* KKV - No audio this could be that they are encoded in AC3, but on my previous 5 it would tell me I needed the pug-in. On the android just no sound

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next