Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:11 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chippy posted a video showing how to clean install this new firmware: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/2342158

Edit: Jaffar Archos Staff reports that this is not the recommended way to clean install! viewtopic.php?p=170361#p170361

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:54 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I continue to have good success with this firmware. No more of the constant resetting - gets an IP address from WiFi much quicker. Only problem I have noticed after some time is that my NDrive software hasn't installed correctly - but I think this is a NDrive software issue rather than an Archos issue. Looking for CoPilot anyway....

Jeff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:14 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

There is a couple of torrents containing the copilot. I won't paste the links since I am sure everyone here could find it if they want. One has the maps and one has a newer version. I think this should be bought though. It is only 34.99 bucks for the love of god, and as soon as it is available from somewhere other than the android market place I will buy it. Also, a resolution fix would be a plus. But I can wait for that. It's a little funny pressing the buttons. Off a little.

http://androinica.com/2009/07/15/app-re ... direction/
and
http://www.alk.com/copilot/android/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:23 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I agree, I'll just buy it once its available or once we can access MarketPlace.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:51 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

If we will ever be allowed to.

Ill write an emai to the makrs of copilot and ask for an alternate install method when I get some time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Running stable so far. Anybody else have a problem downloading AppsLib?

Post subject: Re: New Firmware 1.1.01
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:01 pm 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

Charbax wrote:
Jaffar wrote:
I would rather advise you to start from a fresh install with this firmware update. It should help in solving some of the unstability issues you may have encountered with the previous release.

So do you recommend that the user first go in the recovery mode and format the whole storage (make a backup first) before updating to this new firmware?

I would advise Archos to try to give any tips for how to avoid the memory leaks or other bugs that are identified. Something like if Archos could "simply" provide an official bug reports and suggestions for "Clear cache and temp files" or "Full recovery through format/restore". Which file types or apps to avoid trying to load (which may cause memory leaks?). I mean, if you can find the time, that would be helpful.

It would also help to lower the noise level coming from the forum trolls.

NOOOOOO. DON'T. In the A5 IT, the system tools are divided now in two parts (3). In case you have issues related to the operating system only (badly behaving apps and so on) go in the Settings > About Device > Repair and Formatting tools and select the second option Delete device configuration and installed application. This will reset the operating system but will not harm and touch your multimedia files.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Archos Staff - I wish you'd have made that reply yesterday, when you were specifically asked by Charbax for clarification. :x Do I understand correctly, or do we now have a video of Chippy demonstrating precisely how not to do it, but was based on the interpretation of your post yesterday. #-o

You're not doing much to deflect the poor reputation Archos tech support seems to have amongst many on this forum. [-X

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

CamMan wrote:
Archos Staff - I wish you'd have made that reply yesterday, when you were specifically asked by Charbax for clarification. :x Do I understand correctly, or do we now have a video of Chippy demonstrating precisely how not to do it, but was based on the interpretation of your post yesterday. #-o

You're not doing much to deflect the poor reputation Archos tech support seems to have amongst many on this forum. [-X

the way charbax did is better.....but it requires the user to backup his/her data .....with that method you are replacing the base os with the new os (firmware) after cleaning up the hdd.

what jafaar is saying is to restore the system settings to default after os update.

clean install is always better than upgrading accrd to me

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:27 pm 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

On this unit there are two parts that do not interfere one with the other. The OS part and the multimedia part. So doing a reset of the Android part only is equal to a fresh install without wiping oout the multimedia content.

The video Charbax posted is good for the A5 Gen6, not for this one.

Last edited by Jaffar on Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:29 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

CamMan wrote:

:roll: Jaffar responsed to Charbax's question within 24hrs, which I think is a reasonable response time. I'd rather Jaffar was busy working on improving the device than monitoring this forum 24/7!!
Why are people suggesting that Charbax's method is better than someone who works on the device??!!!
Thank you for coming back to the forum Jaffar. Don't let this put you off!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:32 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Jaffar wrote:
On this unit there are two parts that do not interfere one with the other. The OS part and the multimedia part. So doing a reset of the Android part only is equal to a fresh install without wiping oout the multimedia content.

gottcha .....basically separate partitions for the OS and data.....good yeh so its the same either way....your way will be easier...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I accept what you're saying, though Charbax has been checking with people who's problems persist after updating the firmware that they did a 'complete' re-install from scratch, and without going back and specifically checking the posts, I got the impression that this did indeed seem to resolve some of the stability issues more effectively, but from what you're saying that's not possible. So, is there any circumstances where the formatting/updating procedure should be followed, for example, if simply updating the firmware doesn't resolve the problems?

Thanks for your help - good to have Archos staff interacting on this forum. =D>

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:36 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Hi Jaffer,

I think you comng here frequently is actually a good thing because at least we can rely on your expert knowledge. My question for you is: For some of us who have yet to receive our devices, when we do get them with regards to firmware upgrades, do we bother with the last 3 firmwares or go straight to firmware 1.1.01? Are there any upsides and downsides to installing and not installing the previous firmwares? Thanks. Thanks for comng to the forum, at least now we know you guys are actually paying attention especially when we see you trying to assist us with some of the issues. It actually helps and reflects better on Archos.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:36 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

nmp5946 wrote:
CamMan wrote:

:roll: Jaffar responsed to Charbax's question within 24hrs, which I think is a reasonable response time. I'd rather Jaffar was busy working on improving the device than monitoring this forum 24/7!!
Why are people suggesting that Charbax's method is better than someone who works on the device??!!!
Thank you for coming back to the forum Jaffar. Don't let this put you off!

because the other method (via recovery mode) isnt wrong either......some people might get scared that they did something wrong......but just do it jaffars way that is easier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:41 pm 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

grenso wrote:
Hi Jaffer,

I think you comng here frequently is actually a good thing because at least we can rely on your expert knowledge. My question for you is: For some of us who have yet to receive our devices, when we do get them with regards to firmware upgrades, do we bother with the last 3 firmwares or go straight to firmware 1.1.01? Are there any upsides and downsides to installing and not installing the previous firmwares? Thanks. Thanks for comng to the forum, at least now we know you guys are actually paying attention especially when we see you trying to assist us with some of the issues. It actually helps and reflects better on Archos.

Hi

No you can go straight form the installed firmware to the latest update. BUT. In case some of the pre installed applications do not show up, download the apks_aos from ftp://support.archos.com folder Gen7, drag and drop on root (MTP mode with WMP11 allows same feature as old MSC), install from the file browser of the unit, once you get the confirmation that the package is installed, navigate into settings, about device, repair and formatting tools and down the menu select startup wizard. When you will switch off completely (not suspend) and restart the unit from Archos splash screen, you will have the wizard and when finished all the apps will be visible.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:45 pm 
Archos Staff
Archos Staff

CamMan wrote:

Charbax video is a good tutorial for recovery mode on Archos5 Gen6 and those who have one of these units can follow the video. This is not valid anymore for Gen7 for the reasons explained above. On Gen6, when you had to reset the unit to factory settings, you did not have choice than clearing the whole drive, system files along with your pictures, videos and so forth. With Gen7 we made distinctive modes. Cleaning to factory state the OS, or just cleaning the Media part of the drive (if you have corrupted files for example) or both together if you wish to.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
Charbax video is a good tutorial for recovery mode on Archos5 Gen6 and those who have one of these units can follow the video. This is not valid anymore for Gen7 for the reasons explained above. On Gen6, when you had to reset the unit to factory settings, you did not have choice than clearing the whole drive, system files along with your pictures, videos and so forth. With Gen7 we made distinctive modes. Cleaning to factory state the OS, or just cleaning the Media part of the drive (if you have corrupted files for example) or both together if you wish to.

Ok, thanks for the clarification - that's very helpful.

I'm going to push my luck and ask a couple of questions whilst you're here online:

- is there a one-off payment for the GPS after the 7-day trial, or is it a pay-per-month arrangement?
- the TV scheduler was discontinued on the 605 - could this happen with this system, or will be a permanent feature on the A5A device?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:59 pm 
This thread would appear to indicate the programme guide can be hit and miss. I think you're in the same board as you were for the 605.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

In response to CAMMAN. Archos USA has told me the GPS is a one time purchase for the maps... NOT a monthly fee and I was quoted $39 but not a definite price yet.

Scott
archos.ca

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next