Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:38 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Firmware 1.1.01
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chengbin wrote:
Fresh install as in recovery and do a format?

That's unacceptable in terms of inconvenience and effectiveness.

Please leave the whining outside of this thread.

Early adopters deal with these types of things, otherwise they should just wait (like you do) to buy a unit when the stable firmwares are pre-loaded from the factory.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Theojt wrote:
Anxious to hear the proper steps to apply this update. I downloaded and installed it as I normally would (before I saw this post)

Can you not format your Archos in recovery mode?

With previous Archos generations you can format from the recovery screen, holding On/Off and Volume at the same time for 5 seconds at bootup from complete power off. Then after format you can connect by USB, transfer the latest firmware and thus perform a fresh install.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:31 pm 
Theojt wrote:
Anxious to hear the proper steps to apply this update. I downloaded and installed it as I normally would (before I saw this post).

Result = Many apps crashing or encountering errors now that used to be stable, including AppLib, And AppStore, OIUpdate, Aldiko, Quickpedia, FBReader, NDrive Demo, FunkyExpenses. I definately took a step backwards by applying this update.

Suggest holding off on installing this update until clear instructions are provided and some "alpa" testers confirm that it works.

Any chance you could download and install http://android-log-collector.googlecode ... -1.0.0.apk

This will allow you to send the system log to yourself, if you PM it to me I can then see whats causing the problem (particularly interested in Funky Expenses and AndAppStore, but I should be able to see if the problem with the other apps is solvable).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:39 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Not sure if this is a "bug" or a "fix" - but, prior to this firmware you could connect to the device via wifi using ftp - since there was proftpd v1.3.2a running on it. After the update this service appears to be halted.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
Chengbin wrote:

Early adopters deal with these types of things, otherwise they should just wait (like you do) to buy a unit when the stable firmwares are pre-loaded from the factory.

Whining is good. I'd welcome whining if I had a company.

I don't wait. The fact that I'm in Canada makes me wait.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Jaffar wrote:
I would rather advise you to start from a fresh install with this firmware update. It should help in solving some of the unstability issues you may have encountered with the previous release.

Charbax wrote:
So do you recommend that the user first go in the recovery mode and format the whole storage (make a backup first) before updating to this new firmware?

Awesome! A full reinstall to update a firmware!

No further comment required...

Charbax wrote:
I would advise Archos to try to give any tips for how to avoid the memory leaks or other bugs that are identified. Something like if Archos could "simply" provide an official bug reports and suggestions for "Clear cache and temp files" or "Full recovery through format/restore". Which file types or apps to avoid trying to load (which may cause memory leaks?). I mean, if you can find the time, that would be helpful.

Eh? No! Not: "If you happen to have a little time, pretty please with sugar on"... Some kind of knowledgebase / FAQ to acknowledge and track bugs and issues is provided by many manufacturers and given the issues with this and the previous Archos 5 IMT, it might be well worthwhile.

Charbax wrote:
It would also help to lower the noise level coming from the forum trolls.

Ahh yes, Charbax's new classification of any dissenters... Take 'em out and have 'em shot... They are speaking out against the party line...

:roll:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:17 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

AlSutton - I downloaded the log app and it installed correctly. As soon as the installation completed, I got an error "Application closed unexpectedly" from Twidroid. I uninstalled Twidroid and it runs now, but I get a window ""Select an application to send the log" followed by "No applications can perform this action".

Sorry, but I am not familiar with this app - I'll keep trying though....

Charbax - Thanks, I will try that. I am not a former Archos user, so it's still a bit new to me. I'll spend a bit of time trying Alsutton's request first.......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:26 pm 
No worries. Have you got an email client installed, the app should be able to send the log out via any email client.

If that's not working let me know and I'll code up something that will do things slightly differently.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

No luck with the application logger Alsutton. Looks like its needs something that does not exist on my unit.

Sooooo...on to Format/Recovery. Here are the exact steps I performed.

1. Power off unit completely (not to standby).

2. While pressing Power button, also press Vol + this will boot into Recovery mode. NOTE: Use Vol + and Vol - keys to move in the menu, use Power button to Select.

4. Select Format, and confirm. Device will format, indicated by message "Format Disk - Part 1" and "Please Wait". This took about 2 minutes on my device.

5. Next message on device: "Setting up operating system". This took about 1 minute on my device.

6. Next message on device: "Connect your device to your PC and install an update file. When I connect, it looks like a standard USB driver is installed and the device (at this point poiint) is merely an external drive.

7. Copy the firmware onto the device and Press the Power button. The firmware update will be applied. It took about 5 minutes on my device.

8 Next message on device: "update successful ok" and "press the On/Off button to restart.

9. Up and running again!

Applications present after Recovery:

- Alarm Clock
- Browser
- Calculator
- Contacts
- DVB-T
- Email
- File Manager
- Gallery
- Global Time
- Music
- Settings
- Sound Recorder
- ThinkFree Mobile

On to installing other apps and testing. again....

Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:08 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Charbax wrote:
Chengbin wrote:

Early adopters shouldn't have to deal with this.

itouch users don't deal with this. When I bought I my s9 I didn't have to deal with it crashing and resetting constantly.

Archos messed up this realease, instead of saying product will be out by november they decided to rush and release it early with all the bugs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:12 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

In fairness, I've had to Restore *many* iPods, all generations - it just goes with the territory.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:15 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Chengbin wrote:
Jaffar wrote:
I would rather advise you to start from a fresh install with this firmware update. It should help in solving some of the unstability issues you may have encountered with the previous release.

That's unacceptable in terms of inconvenience and effectiveness. How many people would know that you should do that? The firmware should fix instabilities without having the user to do a fresh install.

If this device is targeted to media consumers- you are very correct.

Theojt- What model are you using? I have not heard of this as a common issue on the iPod as apposed to this situation.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:59 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I have restored my ipod video Gen 5.5 several times, a previous Gen 3 several times, and recently a Nano, and ITouch (Nano once, ITouch several times). In addition, my daughter has an ITouch that we restored (more than once), and then it died completely. The repair estimate was to replace the logic board, at a cost of 80% of an entirely new unit. I told them "No thanks". Many family memebers have iPods/iTouch and more than a few have been sent back for service also. I will grant that Apple's service process and turn-around times are very good - perhaps they have it down to a science through practice?

So, at least from my perspective, Apple devices have the same track record as the Archos (which is indeed beginning to look more stable now) or perhps, even worse.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:12 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Regarding my earlier (bad) experience with this firmware update (1.1.01) - I am now cautiously optimistic.

All my previous problems are gone and my device now seems MUCH more stable since performing the Recovery/rebuild from scratch. I have noticed that the WiFi is no longer dropping, the GPS is now enabled when I turn on location services - before it would wait until an app ran to enable it. Using GPS in the house was kind of hit or miss - now I get 5 satellites solid. Apps that were crashing now running just fine.

The keyboard has been updated with new key graphics too. I am starting to like this firmware- alot!

Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:31 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Theojt wrote:
Regarding my earlier (bad) experience with this firmware update (1.1.01) - I am now cautiously optimistic.

All my previous problems are gone and my device now seems MUCH more stable since performing the Recovery/rebuild from scratch. I have noticed that the WiFi is no longer dropping, the GPS is now enabled when I turn on location services - before it would wait until an app ran to enable it. Using GPS in the house was kind of hit or miss - now I get 5 satellites solid. Apps that were crashing now running just fine.

The keyboard has been updated with new key graphics too. I am starting to like this firmware- alot!

Jeff

Good to hear!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Theojt wrote:

Jeff

Finally some positive news... i am not being able to stop myself from buying this new toy lol....
i just bought a gen6 5 like 3 months back ... .thatll prolly go on ebay ... its in perfect condition so i should get decent returns. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:19 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Settings > About Device

Doesn't seem to work -- force closes on me every time. Anyone have different results?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:40 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

strazzere wrote:
Settings > About Device

Doesn't seem to work -- force closes on me every time. Anyone have different results?

mines fine

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:47 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

strazzere wrote:
Settings > About Device

Did you also do a clean install? Formatting and all that before installing the new firmware?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:49 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Charbax wrote:
strazzere wrote:
Settings > About Device

Did you also do a clean install? Formatting and all that before installing the new firmware?

Yeap, clean install and then installed the update.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next