Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 10:07 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Archos tv+ hard drive upgrades confirmed. Up to 2tb possible. Prices range from $100 for 500gb upgrade to 250 for 2tb. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:38 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I thought it was an IDE in there? u manage to fit SATA drive in there?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:30 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

ecsw wrote:
I thought it was an IDE in there? u manage to fit SATA drive in there?
You never opened yours? Most of the box is empty space. There is plenty of room to put an adapter and a sata drive in there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:34 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

^ :) nah. Never need to open up my TV+, yet... :)

Exactly which adapter did you use for the converting? did you get it from DX?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

ecsw wrote:
^ :) nah. Never need to open up my TV+, yet... :)

Exactly which adapter did you use for the converting? did you get it from DX?
Yep. They all work pretty much the same. I just put in a 500gb sata 3.5 to test it and it does work.

Image Can be upgraded to 2tb so far. So now I just have to do the 1.8. Or maybe I should get some sleep. Ugh. Or maybe not. Being numb makes things easier I think,

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:50 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

go sleep. get some rest. you might feel a little better when you wake up.
I am sure she doesn't want to see you torturing yourself.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Has anyone upgraded to 1TB or 2TB Successfully. Junior are you still around?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:36 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

tcempire wrote:
Has anyone upgraded to 1TB or 2TB Successfully. Junior are you still around?
Yeah, I put a 2tb in there but the case needs modification to fit the larger hard drive. A 1tb 2.5 sata drive is a better option.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Do you have to reload the latest firmware once a new drive has been fitted or does the firmware not reside on the HDD.

I was under the impression that Archos didn't allow upgrades.

Tungsten

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:24 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Tungstenc wrote:
Do you have to reload the latest firmware once a new drive has been fitted or does the firmware not reside on the HDD.

I was under the impression that Archos didn't allow upgrades.

Tungsten

It comes ready to install. The firmware is already installed. I dont think Archos minds as they dont even support the tv+.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:50 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

When you say it comes ready to install, do you mean the HDD and can any SATA drive be used for the upgrade.
Does the Archos format the drive to FAT32 or do you need to do this on a PC.

Tungstenc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:17 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Tungstenc wrote:
When you say it comes ready to install, do you mean the HDD and can any SATA drive be used for the upgrade.
Does the Archos format the drive to FAT32 or do you need to do this on a PC.

Tungstenc

No, not any Sata. The serial numbers still have to match the original one. What I do with these units is change the serial number to match the tv+ I have. Format and load the firmware and then change it to the customers serial number.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:44 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My TV+ has failed - flashy red light but no joy. Win XP unable to see it. I emailed Archos but no support there. They said that I couldn't just replace HD because it had to be encrypted... Can I replace HD then start rebuild OS with Archos update? If so, can you recommend a HD or does it not matter? How do I change serialno as suggested ? And which update should I use? Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:38 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

hobobill wrote:
My TV+ has failed - flashy red light but no joy. Win XP unable to see it. I emailed Archos but no support there. They said that I couldn't just replace HD because it had to be encrypted... Can I replace HD then start rebuild OS with Archos update? If so, can you recommend a HD or does it not matter? How do I change serialno as suggested ? And which update should I use? Thanks for any help.
Unplug the unit. Then with the unit off press and hold down the tv button on the remote control. That should take you to recovery mode. Tell me what you see on the screen.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:03 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

With unit connected only to TV & power, and unit off, if I press/hold TV I see a blank screen. Nothing. No illumination of TV screen. And I just noticed hard drive clicks when unit is powered up at room temp.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:25 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

hobobill wrote:
With unit connected only to TV & power, and unit off, if I press/hold TV I see a blank screen. Nothing. No illumination of TV screen. And I just noticed hard drive clicks when unit is powered up at room temp.

Yeah, clicking is a good sign that the hard drive is gone.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:10 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I understand. Iwaprked as a tech for a few years, so I am comfortable swapping drives, flashing etc. I was thinking of putting in a Western Digital 1TB Scorpio Blue SATA II Notebook HDD w/ 8MB Cache, as I have good luck with WD product. Is that a good choice?

I'd like to know what the process is - what steps and the proper order for them. I understand that I may have to change the manufacturer's HD serialno. I have never done that, and don't know how to do it. What tool(s) do I need for that?

Thanks for any help. I have a little Patriot device which is OK, but it's nowhere near the quality interface of the TV+ and I really do miss it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:27 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

hobobill wrote:
I understand. Iwaprked as a tech for a few years, so I am comfortable swapping drives, flashing etc. I was thinking of putting in a Western Digital 1TB Scorpio Blue SATA II Notebook HDD w/ 8MB Cache, as I have good luck with WD product. Is that a good choice?

I'd like to know what the process is - what steps and the proper order for them. I understand that I may have to change the manufacturer's HD serialno. I have never done that, and don't know how to do it. What tool(s) do I need for that?

Thanks for any help. I have a little Patriot device which is OK, but it's nowhere near the quality interface of the TV+ and I really do miss it.

http://www.pc3000.com/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I understand it might be possible to recover the HDD. but I'm not at all concerned about data recovery from the disk, and would rather just go ahead and replace it with something larger if that is feasible. A new disk would only cost about $100.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi, my trusty ole tv plus hard drive has passed away. From what I understand I need to buy a replacement hard drive but the serial numbers need to match up. I have tried to purchase a hard drive from a link that was on here that is based in the USA but the company have not replied. Do I only need to pair up the serial numbers so that the cinema plug in etc still work or can I just purchase another hard drive, not pair up the serial number and then re purchase the plug ins ?

Many thanks for any replies

PS my 704 wi fi is still going strong as is my archos 420 and wifes gemini player...have recently added the archos 70it to my collection but not so keen on that as battery life isnt that good and video player is choppy