Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:12 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:57 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Is it me or is there shockingly little discussion on the 10? Virtually nothing. Not even complaints, let alone praise. Are these netbooks selling at all?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:13 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have the 6-cell one and it's great! Boots very fast, XGA screen is big and crisp. It's very sturdy and well made. It's very plain and has a matte black finish, which I personally find to be elegant, although others probably would want some bling. I don't agree with the bad press, the A10 is much better than the Acer or HP at Costco.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:26 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

How is the screen quality? Does it even compare to the 5 or is it pretty much standard TN-quality (mediocre black levels and viewing angles)?

How is the sound quality? Is it subject to EU volume limits?

I'm still shocked at the lack of discussion.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:42 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Well, I don't know much about hardware, but the screen is the XGA type. The A10 is unremarkable in terms of "Archos Style", and I have put a sticker over the Archos name. This transforms the A10 into a "no-name" generic-looking netbook.

So it is easy to un-brand, and re-brand as your own. I've done this with my Canon G7 as well. Crooks see it as a cheap import camera, and it becomes invisible.

Also, the proletariat don't bother me to ask about the brand name, and how do I like it, and how great their [insert brand name here] is, and yadda yadda. I get tired of being a free advertising agent.

By un-branding, the name doesn't get in the way, and quite remarkably the A10 seems to stand out more. Same with my G7. The un-branded G7 looks like an old 80's model digicam from the front, and when someone thinks they can start a conversation to show off their "latest model", they get a shocker when I turn the camera around and reveal the "space shuttle" control panel.

Hahaha

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:23 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'd think the G7 is large enough that the average thief would assume it is expensive just by the size. Plus a flash hotshoe marks it as not-from-ebay.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:35 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I was thinking the opposite, that the large size would mark it as old. I painted the hotshoe black too, but left the contacts bare. But you bring up a good point.

Maybe I'll break out my Casio label printer and stick a "Yamashita" label over the blacked out "Canon" logo. Then the camo would be military-grade.

strikeback03 wrote:
I'd think the G7 is large enough that the average thief would assume it is expensive just by the size. Plus a flash hotshoe marks it as not-from-ebay.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well I've just bought one! it arrived yesterday and I spent all of last night playing around with it, and I have no complaints.

It booted up fast, the sound is good (not 'tinny' at all) and the graphics are good too. It picked up my wireless internet connection just fine, although not at first because I realised that I hadn't pressed the F3 key to toggle on the
wireless capability. Doh!

Although it's got only 1gb RAM it's not THAT slow compared to my home laptop which has 4gb. I was pleasantly surprised. I streamed some videos and they were played very well - good graphics, sound and no jerking or stuttering. Very
smooth in fact, and I don't have to wait ages for anything to open.

I've put MS WORD 2007 on it as I use that a lot. It comes with 6 months free Bitdefender which I haven't used as I've installed the firewall and anti-virus that I use with my laptop.

The battery is a 3 cell, but I can live with that. It came with 2 batteries, 2 power leads and a padded soft case. It's light, yet feels quite well made and not 'plasticy.' It's not the most flashy looking thing, but I wasn't bothered about looks.

I'm going to wait a while before making any decision on adding extra memory. It's not going to be my main PC - it's for connectivity on the move and playing my films and TV programmes that I download from the internet. I wanted to upgrade from my Archos AV500 which only has a 30gb hard drive and no wi-fi. It was a toss up between a netbook or the new Archos 7, but I've been reading such a lot of negative reviews about the Archos 7 that I plumped for the netbook - larger than the Archos 7 but more versatile. I got a good deal from QVC for it.

Only one problem I've got. I copied some of my films and TV progs over to the netbook. The sound plays perfectly in Windows Media Player 11, but there's no video. Downloaded vids from my email, YouTube etc were fine. The films play okay on my laptop though so it's probably a codec problem that I'll sort later.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yep, just codecs. I downloaded k-lite and videos play just fine now.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:15 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

All right! Some discussion! Thanks for the replies. Nice to know that there are some "10" users out in the wild.