Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:55 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:09 pm 

after all the issues with the arch lib that have been highly critised i took a look at my own. i found i had albums missing on my own libary so i took a look at these albums.
what i found was i had various files in there like extra album art, thumbs. files (for windows) and other sorts of rubbish. ive gone and removed these files from the folders and just to check, i also removed the archlib folder at the same time so it was a clean sheet.
anyways, ive done about 15 missing albums and since i done this all the albums now appear in my arch lib.
it maybe a fix or a fluke, could you guys check it out for me and report your findings back on this thread. remember all you need in the folders are your album art and tracks (and playlist if you use them), all other files can be removed. this could be what is causing the confusion with the arch lib when it sees foregn files to its operating system, all i can think of is it sees them and assumes that its not music / video / photo.
give it a try.
roy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:14 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Interesting find Roy...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:20 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Roy,

In my case, I make sure that these files do not get copied (I use SyncToy and exclude *.ini, *.db etc). I have double-checked before and am confident that I only have MP3 / FLAC files and one folder.jpg per album folder.

Looking forward to seeing if the latest firmware makes any improvements!

Cheers,

Charles

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:42 pm 

judgechuck wrote:
Roy,

In my case, I make sure that these files do not get copied (I use SyncToy and exclude *.ini, *.db etc). I have double-checked before and am confident that I only have MP3 / FLAC files and one folder.jpg per album folder.

Looking forward to seeing if the latest firmware makes any improvements!

Cheers,

Charles

hmm all i can think of is an issue with wmp there. try copying your music back to your pc then back in hhd mode to see if this solves the problem. ive about halfway though checking all my music and so fair (touch wood) ive been able to get every track to appear in the archlib.

another little workaround ive just found is with my audiobooks. i have switched the arch lib to manual update, then move the audiobooks folder to the root of the player, then do the arch lib update, once done move them back. volia my audiobooks are no longer indexed with my music so i can now use shuffle without the books coming on. archos could fix this by making a sub directory accessable though the music icon thats not indexed.

thanks for the feed, im going carry on testing this method and see how it goes, i know its not perfect - but may work hopefully you will get it to work as well.
roy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:49 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I keep my folders very clean and I don't have a problem -- when I run a manual ArcLib build. It's the Auto ArcLib that doesn't seem to pick up all items.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:14 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Nope, that doesn't help my problem with ArcLib.

That is not my issue.

No other junk in my album folders but mp3s and one album art jpeg.

This problem is still on Archos.

:doubt:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:29 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Just wanted to thank Roy for taking the initiative to go forward with this.

Go roy, go!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

All my mp3 files are appearing properly (Album Art is sometimes missing but that's not a big problem)
BUT about 50% off my FLACs are not being recognized the first time. Then I delete all tag infos, retag them and put them back to my A5. Sometimes they are recognized, sometimes not. I do this until they are recognized. A bit annoying :(
All of my Folders only contain the Songs, nothing else.

BTW: When i play FLACs which are not being recognized by Archlib and therefore not shown in the Artist Tab under Unkown Artist, all infos are shown in the playback screen like Artist etc. Then I hit Info and no infos are shown. Thats a bit weird isnt it? The A5 recognizes the tags while playing but not while seaching for them Oo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

My folders have nothing but music in them, and still some of they don't show up.

They do however show up in HD view, and that's how I've been using my Archos. I hope a fix is found soon.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:24 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

WarofArt wrote:
My folders have nothing but music in them, and still some of they don't show up.

They do however show up in HD view, and that's how I've been using my Archos. I hope a fix is found soon.

exact same problem i have. f.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:33 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

regards to what roy said about these files, i think at least the thumbs.db is a hidden file, so make sure you set folder options to show hidden files!

Edit: I did have thumbs.db in a couple albums, but i've not had issues with those albums.

Last edited by lawrence.cook on Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I go into the file structure with 7-zip File Manager which would show hidden files, etc. I would expect such things if one was syncing with Windows Media player. I use Sync Toy and only sync those files specified.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:31 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I also have albums missing from arclib, but since the new release I'm sure that alot more of my collection is showing up. Could be mistaken though....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:50 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have always used the hard drive mode, which, by the way is FASTER with the new firmware upgrade! I'd estimate at least 30% faster if not more. I was astounded last night when I went to do my usual evening ritual of music via my A5....but I digress!

So, I decided to use the normal music function in support of roy's request and so far as I can see everyone of my 3000 or so MP3 files is showing up, with artwork.

These were no-DRM legal MP3's that I used to use iTunes for since I had an iPod touch and I had also bought this add-in program (can't think of the name now) whose purpose was to cleanup tags, fill in missing info and suck down the album art. The ones it could not find I laboriously did manually over some weekends. This would indicate to me there is something in the argument of malformed tags or bad files causing some of the issues people have experience.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:23 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

blandishment wrote:
This would indicate to me there is something in the argument of malformed tags or bad files causing some of the issues people have experience.

It is possibly causing some issues, but I am concentrating on one particular album that I own on CD, which doesn't appear in my ARCLib (Hard Disc mode, Manual Update), even though I have ripped, re-ripped, encoded and re-encoded it multiple times on multiple machines using different apps (MediMonkey / WMP 11 for ripping, MediaMonkey / Xilisoft Audio Maker for re-encoding, MediaMonkey / MP3Tag for re-tagging):

Led Zeppelin - How The West Was Won (3 CDs)

Performing a "Clear temporary system files and cache" has helped immensely, but not 100%, as this album still does not show up.

I do not want to have to do this every time I add a new album that doesn't show up in the ARCLib...

I haven't yet tried the new firmware, but will be doing so this evening...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:02 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

My auto ArcLibrary build seems to be working (for now). I'll leave it enabled and see what happens.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:25 am 

gawd you guys are not easily pleased lol.
anyways, ive spent hours and hours getting the last 7 albums that are not showing up on my player - no joy - so i decided to play the albums directly. 3 of them were ok but the rest crashed the player.... hmmmmm.
anyways, i started to think about video problems etc then it hit me, header errors on the files so google became my new best friend.
I found a program called Free mp3 validator http://www.gromkov.com/faq/repair/mp3_validator.html and installed it. (FREEWARE)

i decided to put all my files though the program thinking sod it, it took about an hour to scan and fix the files, there were 1000s of dodgy mp3s on my machine, once it had done its job i disconnected, ran arc lib update.... holly sh** all my files are now in my arch lib. i know this wont fix problems with ogg or flac, but it seems to do the trick with mp3.
im hoping this will finally put to bed the problems with the arch lib, please try it out ive spent HOURS on this problem.
the program may not be the best but i found it suited its purpose, if anyone finds a quicker or better program that freeware let us know.
im gona chill now and enjoy using the complete search feature. it dosnt appear to be archos programming thats at fault just dodgy file encoding, archos firmware just seems to be a little to quick to ignore files with any sort of corruption.
thanks
roy

edit before i forget, make sure you have your machine fully charged before hand or on a mini dock with ac supply.
also before you start the process select file, prefrences, and then tick all the fields (three boxed), then just drag and drop your WHOLE music file in the screen. it will ignore bad tagging, all we want is the actual files fixed so they show in the libary.
good luck, im going to see if i can find a similar program for ogg and flac.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:12 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Roy are you using Media Monkey? A couple of years ago I trashed a boatload of MP3 files by running some sort of album art script on Media Monkey. Luckily I had back ups.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:22 am 

nope i use no sync or management programs just drag and drop for me, i like things simple, i assume as mp3 is a lossy codec the errors occur every time you copy them and this is where the arch lib falls foul. this program just re writes the file headers as so many have garbage or trunacations on the files. i still have to run the audiobooks though the program - but thats 40gb so i will do that at a later stage - i know many many of them will be problematic.
roy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:25 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

roylovelock wrote:
nope i use no sync or management programs just drag and drop for me, i like things simple, i assume as mp3 is a lossy codec the errors occur every time you copy them and this is where the arch lib falls foul. this program just re writes the file headers as so many have garbage or trunacations on the files. i still have to run the audiobooks though the program - but thats 40gb so i will do that at a later stage - i know many many of them will be problematic.
roy

I have a problem with my 5 picking up album art - would running this software help, you think Roy?