All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow! Check this out: http://archosfans.com/2009/02/09/archos-uses-android/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:09 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Possible picture http://www.engadget.com/2009/02/09/archos-to-release-android-phone-tablet/

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I'm not sure about this... as many on Engadget have commented, Archos has a less then stellar track record with support for previous generations of hardware (basically, none of their products ever fully worked as they were supposed to), so jumping into this whole new direction, even though it might birth the best gadget ever, could easily mean that basically they quit solving problems for products they already sold. I know my 404 still reboots whenever I tinker with subtitles, and Archos doesn't care.

What I'm really wondering about is - Android means open source, means independent developers, means high quality third party software and literally limitless options for improvement. That's what sells it. ARCHOS, on the other hand, are about control and additional revenue garnered from all the BS they sell even though people should be given the chance to pay for a complete product.

So is this going to be a MID? Or a net-tablet? Or a PMP with a phone? What price range?
And how about that "HD playback" promise... have heard that one before, I think. :)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:52 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It's an interesting idea, and will be all the more interesting if Archos can make a genuinely open device, without compromising whatever DRM agreements it has. Or perhaps they'll stop supporting DRM content?

Interesting, but vapourware right now, no?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I expect they will make the first ever Android device with full DRM and full codecs support. Among many other worlds firsts.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:07 am 
Ahhh it's you again Mr. Charbax from engadget. Well, guess what, I'm right behind you since you seem to have a stake in the shares and you most likely also get paid for the false advertisement.

While you're quick to help your company announce its revised and upcoming reliant product, you do know that your company will end up losing in the long run. As Android is open source and it won't take long before the genius out there put together a version for the Archos 5 - 7 which Archos currently have locked down.

BTW, do you know anyone who wants to buy one of these? I'm desperately looking to sell my 250GB and a $47 case with it for around MSRP price. It is fairly new.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I wonder if OMAP 3440 is the same processor as for the Gen6 or if it's updated. I forgot which specific one is used here, someone had opened up the Archos 7 or something recently and found it out.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:01 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I would really be excited about this if this means that the present generation of IMT get Android or if Archos can work out the myriad of little bugs that keep appearing and prove they are up to the task of creating stable hardware and firmware. It's exciting but I pay for something more than a dream. Archos needs to fix the bugs, restructure customer support and return to profitability.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:00 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
I expect they will make the first ever Android device with full DRM and full codecs support. Among many other worlds firsts.

Well, time will tell. Making an application platform that is open enough to run real 3rd-party apps that do real stuff, while at the same time being closed enough to protect their contractual obliagations with respect to to DRM, is a very significant engineering challenge. Those two goals are almost mutually exclusive.

Still, we'll see, one way or the other.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:34 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

For their own sake I hope to high heaven that they don't attempt to ruin a perfectly good OS with DRM-ridden rubbish. Although the 605 (and other Archos gubbins) is lovely, it's really let down by being locked down, and ensures that I will not be buying another Archos. The whole point of something like Android (and GNU/Linux) is it's very openness. If you lock it down you kill it.
In other news I notice that the Unicorn horn buffing plug-in has been delayed. Again.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:21 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

i hope this is real and i want one. please archos dont touch the OS.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:53 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I would prefer Archos to spend their time updating their firmware and fixing bugs for products they already have rather than attempt a new product in an already bloated market.

-Ashes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:21 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

A bit more info: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2340709,00.asp

Keep in mind it could still be crippled by EU volume cap....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Ashes wrote:
I would prefer Archos to spend their time updating their firmware and fixing bugs for products they already have rather than attempt a new product in an already bloated market.

Yes. But at least we now know what the Archos developers have been doing when they ought to have been fixing bugs in the existing products :/

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:24 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Android applications are designed to work just within a very specific sandbox based on Java in one corner of the Android OS. The rest of the OS can be made more or less proprietary and managed by Archos just as HTC installs a closed proprietary Android on their HTC G1 and just as any other Android devices out there will have their firmware updates coming only from the manufacturer.

There are other reasons for Android firmwares only to come from the manufacturer. This keeps things optimized and under control, and limits the risk of bricking of devices. That is the way Android applications work within that sandbox, it's to make it just about impossible for badly coded or hackers or virus programmers to do any kind of permanent take over of the Android machine.

That is what Windows based machines lack, a safe sandbox for applications. That is why 80% of Windows machines are full of bugs, viruses, memory leaks, keyloggers, spam servers and other crap.

The Openness of Android is on two fronts.

Front 1: Open towards the manufacturer. Which means that manufacturers like Archos can come, take it and customize it for their specific and very specific hardware combinations and hardware choices.

Front 2: Open towards software hackers (positive software hackers). But that openness means that software programmers can program whatever they want within the JAVA application platform for Android (and not within the native code of Android) and don't have to ask anyone for the authorization to release their applications. BUT: that does not mean that certain manufacturers don't choose to control the applications repository and thus in fact require all applications to be verified and approved. For example perhaps one Telecom will not allow any VOIP applications to run on it. Or perhaps some other specific bandwidth intensive application. The openness here relies in the fact than the software programmer can still release his software anyways on other Android devices. And that openness will likely put public pressure on whichever telecom or manufacturer which might block a certain application to give in under pressure and just allow those apps to work as well.

And anyways, if for example Archos does handle some kind of application repository this can also only be very positive as well. Cause since the Archos might have 3x more screen resolution then most other Android phones, this makes it so that if you want to install this or that Android software, then the Archos filter might alert you and say "If you want to install this application, Please install this special Archos compatible version of that software here. That specific Archos port of that software complies with the specific Archos screen resolution, and other specific Archos multimedia drivers and perhaps even special unique Archos features like DVB-SH, DVB-T, video-recording, Flash video playback and so on..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:38 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It would be interesting to see this new device, but simply stated I must say I'd like to see enhancements and bug fixes for the current IMT line.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:48 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
That is the way Android applications work within that sandbox, it's to make it just about impossible for badly coded or hackers or virus programmers to do any kind of permanent take over of the Android machine.

That is what Windows based machines lack, a safe sandbox for applications. That is why 80% of Windows machines are full of bugs, viruses, memory leaks, keyloggers, spam servers and other crap.

Well, yes; but there is a balance to be found between `the user can do anything at anytime to anything' (the traditional Windows model) and `the user can do nothing but run the software we provide'. Most Linux systems, properly set up, avoid most of the flakiness of Windows while still allowing decent applications to run. But these distributions all assume that the user will have access to administrative rights (i.e., full control) at least some of the time. You can break a Linux system just as well as a Windows one if you are careless with that assumption.

It is unknown at present (so far as I understand) what level of software installation control Archos will allow over its Android devices. Even if it's total freedom, you're still going to limited by the Java sandbox, which in itself is pretty restrictive.

But I'll be interested to see how it works out.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Nice try to avoid updates and fixes for previous players.

Release a new player and all problems are solved.

I wanted to purchase 405 but I waited till it is stable etc. Then a new products was out. OK

I want to purchase IMT 5, but again it is out almost half a year and still major problems. And the story goes on.

I want to have something tha work like it is advertised. So let any tumors/advertisements for androids, GPS, HD etc etc...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:46 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I had thinked about buying the google G1 but now Archos will release an Android Product and I have to wait... Because If the Archos has all what I want... Camera, Motion Sensor, HDD, Android usw then I buy the Archos if not... I will be buy the G1 and keep my Archos 5 but if that will happen I have to carry two devices every Time... so Archos... Make Motion Sensor and Camera...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:30 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

not to be a party pooper but....whats this gonna cost? the same as a normal A5 or more? if its the same i might just wait out untill Q3 when its released to get one but if its more i might just go ahead and get a standard A5.