Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:38 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Hardware Video Convertor
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This sounds pretty cool:

ADS Tech Video To-Go USB Stick
http://www.usb-ware.com/ads-instant-video-to-go.htm
http://www.neowin.net/index.php?act=vie ... ment520241

Converts video 5x faster than software encoding. Anyone know anything more about it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:36 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have not used this product but you can get it for 64.99 shipped from amazon: click here

the other place offers a rebate and I am sure they charge shipping

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:10 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Looks interesting but I'm wary of the figures. It certainly doesn't take me 5 hours to encode a 100 min video

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My thoughts exactly...! Still sounds interesting though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:03 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

my 1.6 Ghz laptop can convert 2 hours of vob file to 1.4GB divx in under 2 hours, a proper desktop computer can probably do it in half that time. 5 hours sure is a bit much...

Post subject: My 2 cents
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:32 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Isn't it cheaper to buy the 20 dollar plugin? Also I dont see how a USB device could encode faster. It sounds like a flash drive that has encoding software on it. Why not just use super for free and encode your own it also encodes h264.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:13 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I want to buy the Cinema Plug-in, so I can just dump vob files directly from the dvd disk to Archos through dvd decryptor, but I haven't been able to buy it from the Archos site for the past 4 weeks because everytime I tried to checkout, it gave me bs server error. So right now I'm stuck with stupid converters.

Post subject: that sucks
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:22 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

RK wrote:
I want to buy the Cinema Plug-in, so I can just dump vob files directly from the dvd disk to Archos through dvd decryptor, but I haven't been able to buy it from the Archos site for the past 4 weeks because everytime I tried to checkout, it gave me bs server error. So right now I'm stuck with stupid converters.

That's to bad. I had a similiar problem I called them and they gave my a key. If they want people to continue buying this they need to make their plugins available and keep the updates and features going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:24 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Here,let me explain to everyone who DOESN'T know what the difference between hardware encoding and software encoding is.

In all of the archos 04 series PMP's,they have a main processor,and a video coprocessor.What the difference is the main processor can handle the bulk of the operating system,while the video coprocessor is specifically designed to do most of the time one thing and one thing only.With say an amd or intel chip,it takes the bits it recieves,0's and 1's,and converts them through software running it to a signal that can be outputted to a display.what a video coprocessor will do is it has the direct hardware switches embedded in them so that no matter what possibly could go in,it will always come out video.it always automatically switches the bytes that it recognizes into video,without any form of software telling it to do so.this way,you can use as minimal power as possible,becuse with a main processor,it has to do everything to the best of its ability,with power as the variable.a video coprocessor however,it will only matter that it has power,not that its getting a lot or a little.A great example for this is a PSP.in the psp,there is an r4000 co-processor for video that supports atrac,mp4 and h.264 hardware decoding.so no matter what speed you put the main processor/coprocessor/gpu/memory at,atracs will always play the same,mp4's will always play the same and h.264's will always play the same.you can clock the psp at 1mhz and it will still play fine,but the os will go terribly slow,because standard clocking on a psp is 222mhz to save battery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:54 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

ironace wrote:
I have not used this product but you can get it for 64.99 shipped from amazon: click here

the other place offers a rebate and I am sure they charge shipping

ironace, thanks for the tip. My wallet is now $64.99 lighter. :D Hardware acceleration will save quite a bit of time for me. Kewl product and useful too.

Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Three60guy, let us know your impressions once you've used it for a while :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:30 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Networkgamer wrote:
Here,let me explain to everyone who DOESN'T know what the difference between hardware encoding and software encoding is.

In all of the archos 04 series PMP's,they have a main processor,and a video coprocessor...

What you are describing is the Texas Insruments DaVinci chipset in the Archos 604 WiFi... It is a standard ARM processor with the multimedia coprocessor designed for off-loading video and sound jobs from the relatively under-powered CPU. I think the Archos 604 WiFi runs at a little over 200 MHz... Which is not horrible for a portable device... But it has no math CoProcessor for real number crunching. Archos multimedia apps are specially compiled to make use of the DaVinci... So after the machine gets hacked to allow user software on it, we are likely to only see apps compiled with standard ARM compilers... and it would be better not to totally replace the OS... just add the desired apps.

Personally, as for this USB thing, I cannot see how a USB dongle can possibly beat 2+ GHz Pentium processor in encoding video. The only advantage is that you can still be using you PC while this thing does its stuff.