Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:31 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:07 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Here it is...

http://reviews.cnet.com/portable-video- ... eStories.0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:14 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

A 7.0? What??? Web browser disappoints? Are they on crack?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I was going to buy the new archos, but this review is giving me second thoughts

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:32 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Seeing as he praises the pathetic itouch, i think we have a apple fanboy rating our product. to say that the web browser is better on the itouch vs the archos is just plain stupid, period. And he seems to forget you pay nearly 50-100 more for a itouch with less then half the memory. take that extra 100 and buy the plugins for the archos. need a real review this guy is a putz.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:39 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I ordered my Archos just a hour before this review was posted. It wouldn't have stopped me from ordering one. The bad things they talk about either will be fixed with firmware updates or just don't make sense.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:42 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Donald Bell (Portable audio reviewer for CNET) usually writes good reviews, but he seems extremely biased. How does the 605 get a 8.7 (that's a very high score) when it's got loads of bugs, looks ugly, horrible internet speeds, and poor interface? He rates the iPod Nano 4G a 8.5, for what? Oh because its got the accelerometer? He gives the iPod Touch a 9.0 when the storage is horribly small, small screen, mediocre browser, almost no video format support, and sounds average?

He gave the Archos 5 a 7.0 when it is significantly better than the 605. I find it hard to believe that he did not praise the exterior and the user interface, which is miles better than the 605. He said the browser performance is mediocre? What?? It's got almost PC like speed. That's mediocre? I can go on and on. He seems to have lost his credibility.

Let's hope for some other reviews that praises the Archos 5.

Don't let this review stop you buy an Archos 5.

Last edited by Chengbin on Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

What an absoloute nutter! "Overall, the archos loses out the the Ipot touch's superior browser" What browser! I actually own a touch, but currently no archos (not for long!) But the browser on the archos is immediately superior!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:53 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This guy is obviously an Apple fanboy:

Quote:
The iPod Touch (left) and Archos 605 WiFi (right) offer several advantages over the Archos 5

What is he talking about. It's the Archos 5 that offers several advantages over the other two.

OK, this guy absolutely has no idea what he is talking about:

Quote:
the Archos 5 offers support for AVI, WMV, MPEG4, and Flash video content with no transcoding necessary for videos sized at or below 640x480

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

On the bright side, let this be a warning to Archos not to send units out with beta firmwares and redesigned connectors. I wonder why Archos used a reflective and fingerprint magnet exterior. Why can't they use aluminum? (like the iPod Nano 2G in response to the fingerprint magnet back on the original iPod Nano)

Overall, I think it is a great product. If I were to review this product, I'll give it an 8.5. It does not receive a 10 because of the following reasons:

- reflective and fingerprint magnet exterior
- beta firmware
- short battery life (removable battery would be nice)
- have to pay for plugins
- no NTFS support
- some other small issues

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Chengbin wrote:
let this be a warning to Archos not to send units out with beta firmwares and redesigned connectors

Archos probably couldn't do things like HDMI output and Component input using the old connector.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:59 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
Chengbin wrote:
let this be a warning to Archos not to send units out with beta firmwares and redesigned connectors

Archos probably couldn't do things like HDMI output and Component input using the old connector.

Yes they can. The connector is just a data link connecting the PMP and the DVR. The DVR is doing the decoding and upconversion to HDMI.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:02 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

They say battery life is lower yet they haven't even tested it comparatively with the 605 WiFi using the same settings, same volume, same brightness and same video files.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:20 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It is probably lower though. Even if it manage to 5 hours, it is still average in their opinion. They expect 6-7 hours video. I wonder how can they expect that kind of battery life without a huge and expensive battery.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:24 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Lets face it the Archos will always lose out to ipods in "mainstream" reviews because the ipod range is "cool" and well advertised.

The most ridiculous comparison I saw was on a tv review where they were seeing which one, archos or ipod touch could get to a certain website faster. The archos lost because the woman reviewer started celebrating before getting to the right place.

The tv review then completely denounced the archos and said it was rubbish because it lost....completely ridiculous

Archos really should advertise, with a bit of advertising and their new designed Archos 5 they could really compete with the ipod's trendyness

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:29 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

good review but they dont consider the fact that you cant buy plugins with the touch. With the Archos 5 you can if you need/want a specific codec.

I'm writting this on my Archos 5 and the web browser is simply awesome. It's fast and the keyboard is hella nice. I almost type as fast as on my computer !

Charles on his 5

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:32 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I thought they were made from steel? Going by ArchosLounge.

Review says plastic?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:38 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yup Charles, and once you get a foldable USB keyboard with it, you are going to be able to type 100% as fast as on a computer.

AndrewGarn wrote:
Lets face it the Archos will always lose out to ipods in "mainstream" reviews because the ipod range is "cool" and well advertised.

Nah, actually I think Archos can rather easilly win out even over Apple, it just depends who the journalist is. This one as well as another PCmag guy (who reviewed the 605 WiFi) are pure US based Apple fanboys from the beginning. So for absolutely no reasonable reason they will rate down anything else. Wired, UK media, Stuff Magazine, T3, and the french media usually will always be fair and reasonable in their reviews of Archos products. Thus always positioning Archos clearly superior to Apple products.

I just posted a real review at Cnet to balance things out.

http://reviews.cnet.com/portable-video- ... 902-2.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:40 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charles wrote:
good review but they dont consider the fact that you cant buy plugins with the touch. With the Archos 5 you can if you need/want a specific codec.

I'm writting this on my Archos 5 and the web browser is simply awesome. It's fast and the keyboard is hella nice. I almost type as fast as on my computer !

Charles on his 5

Do ipods still only play one audio and one video format?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:43 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

iPods only play mp3 and aac for audio. Only H.264 baseline profile for video.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:43 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Chengbin wrote:
Charbax wrote:
Chengbin wrote:

Yes they can. The connector is just a data link connecting the PMP and the DVR. The DVR is doing the decoding and upconversion to HDMI.

Are you sure about that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

Does Archos publish their plug specification? The HDMI specification is relatively new and it does have specific voltage, timing and data stream requirements. Since the older models and docks didn't require this, it's really not difficult for me to believe that some of that data could not be passed through the old style plug. Heck, even electronics designed around HDMI sometimes have issues with handshaking and sync - visit a HDTV forum to see what I mean.

Not saying you're wrong, just asking if you're basing your comment on knowledge or your opinion. You could very well be an electronics engineer. I sure as heck am not.

Scott