Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:25 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi all, i am new to 'tablets' so i may show my ignorance in asking this question, so any way here goes:

i get on the internet using a usb internet device (dongle) this is a T mobile 'dongle' that is part of a package with my contract mobile phone...now can i use this with the Archos 80 Cobalt to get on the internet, i have done some research on the net and i am getting conflicting information some say yes and some say no, you cant use this dongle with an Android tablet, i have seen 'videos' that shows you how to connect to an Android tablet but one of the options shown in these videos is missing from my 'tablet', when i go to settings,wireless and networks, more, i only have the option VPN and nothing else no 'mobile settings/networks' or anything else is there.

i have bought a cable to convert the micro usb to a regular 'female' usb socket and this works for memory sticks (flash drives) but it does not seem to recognise my internet dongle i am wondering now if i had to get a specific lead for this purpose, this is the one i got
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006P9QWNE/r ... 1_3p_dp_i1

Anyway any advice would be gratful...thankyou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:44 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi there,

I brought the same thing as I got myself a leader case with built in usb keyboard and found that the Archos Cobalt 80 doesn't have USB.

When I am not at home using my WiFi if I am on the go and no in a McDonald's or Starbucks to use their free WiFi I use my mobile phones 'Portable WiFi hotspot' (WiFi Tethering) https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ther&hl=en

This lets me use my mobiles internet but on my Archos Cobalt 80 which lets me share my phone's 3G internet.

Other then that I am no real help as regards to the USB dongle only got my Archos Cobalt in the Tesco boxing day sale but I am learning , I have a 02UK Internet dongle here which I might try see if it works and let you know.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

DreamcastUK
well apparently you can connect a usb internet devise(dongle) to this tablet but you do have to do some 'stuff' to it first, i have a T mobile dongle, and the T mobile shop (which is now called EE) told me it can't (as many others did as well) due to these 'dongles' are not compatible with the 'Android' O/S.

But i did find out, after a tinker about, you can (i havent tried it yet) but you have to 'root' this tablet then download an ap'/widget called
'ppp' change some settings in the 'wireless' settings, APN change to you're network provider and 'dial string' to *99# and anything else like pin number (if you have one) and of course you have to get a lead to convert the micro usb to a regular size female (socket) usb.

I am new to the Tablet experience so am a little apprehensive in doing the above until i get a bit more info' on it or any more advice here..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you andy for the reply , I am new to tablets as well and android so just getting used to everything and this forums are really useful

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi.New to forum and somewhat naive to the tablet.
Trying to set up my 80 cobalt to be able to use my t mobile dongle.
I downloaded PPP but now how do I change APN to tmobile AND what is/where is DIAL STRING that is to change to *99#

Please.