Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:11 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Along with many others I purchased an Archos 80 Cobalt from Tesco on Boxing Day for our young daughter. Great device for the money however we have a problem with wireless on the device where the wireless stops initiating.

When this happens I tried turning wireless off and on again with the soft toggle switch in settings however this resulted in wireless getting stuck in a loop and the switch turning of and on all on its own with the only way to bring wireless back online is to perform a full restart of the device.

The issue must be either hardware or firmware but there does not appear to be any updated firmware and I am currently waiting for Tesco to get more stock for them to swap to try to eliminate a hardware issue.

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:26 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

Seems like a common problem. This fixed it for me :-

Go to Settings > wifi > tap 3 dots on upper right corner > advanced > Keep wifi on during sleep > Always

Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Does this setting eat the battery?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:07 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Tesco had more stock this morning so swapped it out only to find replacement had lots of dead pixels so back to Tesco again for another unit, this one appears better, not had the wireless issue as yet and has all if its pixels fully working.

More units now available and for £69 which isn't quite as good as Boxing Days £50 offer but still very good for an OK tablet, its certainly no iPad but great for the money!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi there yup I have the same issue stuck in a loop , authenticating-saved,secured wpa/wpa2!!!!

Took them both to a friends house last night and both connected easily??

Think a trip back to tesco might be the answer :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:10 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hello

for anyone who's had their device replaced for this wifi issue you're one of the lucky ones*

bought mine from tesco on 26th, on/off wifi issue began on the night of the same day which can only be fixed by cold starting the device. also, app icons on the home screen randomly stick in their installed location, ie you try and drag one to another preferred area of the screen and it will bounce back to it's first location, this also applies to any widgets and you can't remove them by dragging to the top of the screen, they disappear upwards then reappear exactly where they were so the only option is a factory reset - this is something i've had to do 12 times to date :evil:

back to the O/P's topic, yes wifi on during sleep mode does eat battery life compared to having it switch off

now the reason for the *. i work for tesco, or to be more specific i'm a tech advisor. so it may come as a surprise and maybe a humorous one, that i cannot get my device replaced. why? because the help desk (the one procedure tells me (and you) to contact if there's a technical problem) insist this is a software issue and they wash their hands of all such problems. they referred me to Archos saying i need to re-install the firmware. the problem is Archos website only supports the 97 Carbon under the Elements series dropdown menu. the 80 Cobalt isn't listed and the 80 G9 seems a completely different unit.

so if you've had your device switched for this issue then fair play. the tech advisors probably didn't follow procedure by calling the help desk and replaced your tablet without quibble. this is how it should be and an example of how customer service should behave.

sorry if this seems like a rant, it wasn't :) it was meant more of a head's up warning to anyone who bought from tesco a Cobalt 80 that has a 'software' problem, than a disagreement against the policy i have to follow.

edit: as a noob to the android platform i've just discovered Nova Launcher and it's fixed my app icon issues which was my main gripe so i can live with the wifi problem. tbh i don't want to risk replacing a relatively healthy device for one with potential dead pixels even though hardware faults are supposedly covered by our help desk - experience tells me they've more than likely got that covered too by operating under some dead pixel policy clause freeing them from any customer responsibility :roll: lol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

KoolDJ wrote:
hello

for anyone who's had their device replaced for this wifi issue you're one of the lucky ones*

bought mine from tesco on 26th, on/off wifi issue began on the night of the same day which can only be fixed by cold starting the device. also, app icons on the home screen randomly stick in their installed location, ie you try and drag one to another preferred area of the screen and it will bounce back to it's first location, this also applies to any widgets and you can't remove them by dragging to the top of the screen, they disappear upwards then reappear exactly where they were so the only option is a factory reset - this is something i've had to do 12 times to date :evil:

back to the O/P's topic, yes wifi on during sleep mode does eat battery life compared to having it switch off

now the reason for the *. i work for tesco, or to be more specific i'm a tech advisor. so it may come as a surprise and maybe a humorous one, that i cannot get my device replaced. why? because the help desk (the one procedure tells me (and you) to contact if there's a technical problem) insist this is a software issue and they wash their hands of all such problems. they referred me to Archos saying i need to re-install the firmware. the problem is Archos website only supports the 97 Carbon under the Elements series dropdown menu. the 80 Cobalt isn't listed and the 80 G9 seems a completely different unit.

so if you've had your device switched for this issue then fair play. the tech advisors probably didn't follow procedure by calling the help desk and replaced your tablet without quibble. this is how it should be and an example of how customer service should behave.

sorry if this seems like a rant, it wasn't :) it was meant more of a head's up warning to anyone who bought from tesco a Cobalt 80 that has a 'software' problem, than a disagreement against the policy i have to follow.

edit: as a noob to the android platform i've just discovered Nova Launcher and it's fixed my app icon issues which was my main gripe so i can live with the wifi problem. tbh i don't want to risk replacing a relatively healthy device for one with potential dead pixels even though hardware faults are supposedly covered by our help desk - experience tells me they've more than likely got that covered too by operating under some dead pixel policy clause freeing them from any customer responsibility :roll: lol

Did it fix the problem you had with the widget as well as I've got the same problem?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have had few of the Chinese tablets over the years and decided to buy the atchos 80 from tesco on boxing day when I got it home I tried to connect it to my wifi and it would not connect then I remembered that the Chinese tablets had problems connecting to wifi I found out in another forum changing your router to channel on 1 or 6 sorted the wifi problem out most routers revert to automatic channel selection if you don,t do it manually the archos 80 is a very good tablet compared to the Chinese ones the only problem is the one I have got has got one bad pixel on the screen but I can put up with that for £49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

yep I have the wifi on/off problem this happens when i turn my archos cobalt 80 sometimes when i load it up as it states no internet connect so i look whats happening in the settings with the wifi and see it going crazy on/off/on/off so i just restart the tablet which sorts it.

I can the same problem with the widget icon to the home screen I just went in the settings to turn off creating a home icon when a app is installed , but I have some apps on my home screen i can't move but I dont want to reset my tablet again as I like how I have my tablet setup.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey..

Glad I'm not alone with the issue. Like many others, took advantage of the 49£ offer.

Found the same problem with WiFi. When it connected it was fine, but let it sleep, wake it up, and no WiFi connection. Into settings to see it "pulsing" between on/off. Reset the device NORMALLY cleared the issue.

Sometimes, however, I would wake the device, and it simply wouldn't connect (WITHOUT the pulsing). Way round this was to switch off (long power press), then on again. After a few secs it would connect. Not right, but workroundable, til I got annoyed!

Called Tesco helpdesk. They were very helpful, suggesting I took it back to swap (this was just outside the 10 days too).

Got it swapped out. Loaded new device and no longer get the "pulsing" (on/off) scenario, but more often than not, when the device is left to sleep, and then woken, it has "no internet connection", and will not connect, until I power off (long press) then power up, where it normally then connects immediately.

VERY annoying/frustrating.

I actually called their (Archos) helpline today, and a stock response "Factory reset the device, and if you have further problems get in touch and have the unit returned to Archos for repair/replacement". If this persists (annoyingly) then I shall.

Slight change of direction.. Any of you guys have trouble connecting to Google+?? Since 30/31st Jan, when G+ updated, I am unable to connect on my device, being informed "No connection-Retry connecting". Obviously I DO have connection, with no problem, but G+ simply will not connect.

I have raised an issue with Google (through a forum) and a few others have the same problem. Google response is very slow though, but there's no way to contact them direct (mail/phone)

I'll be interested if any of you have the same problem??

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've got the same Google+ issue with my Cobalt 80 (yes, bought from Tesco on Boxing Day!). I've been a bit of a reluctant Google+ user but loved it on my tablet. Shame it doesnt want to connect.

The Google+ app tells me its out of date so wont connect, but when I go to Google Play, it doesnt allow me to update the app and I also have automatic updates set as well.

It isnt possible to uninstall and then reinstall the software either, presumably as it comes as part of the operating system.

Frustrating!

Any answers Google? Oi, yes you..............

Re the wifi issue, leaving the wifi set ON all the time sorted it out for me. It was crashing when going into sleep mode, but leaving wifi on cures this.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

GoogleFail#

They don't seem too bothered about this. Originally got one response from them, but has now gone strangely quiet :-(

Yeah, Thanks Google....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hi guys.
my archos wont stop pulsing!
i have tried everything in my power.i have tried to restart it,turned to always keep wifi on and even factory reset it.i dont know what i can do to fix it.tesco and archos wont replace it as i bought it a few years ago.any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,
My daughter bought an Archos 101 Cobalt on Friday, I configured it to work on my WiFi network and everything was fine.

Suddenly on Saturday morning the internet connection was gone. The device is connected with excellent signal strength to my router (Dlink D300), but there is no internet.

I installed the latest firmware, without result.
I tried to connect to another WiFi router and that has the same result.

Is the device defective and should I have it replaced ?