Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:39 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Newbie Q
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

H all new here I recently purchased an archos cobalt 80 from tesco,
But before I open it I want to know if it is possible to connect it through my iPhone 4 (tethering) to be able to use the Internet when I'm away from wifi hotspots? Ad could this be done wireless or do I need to connect the 2 via USB?
Or would I have to purchase some form of dongle?

Thanks for your help

Post subject: Re: Newbie Q
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:15 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm not 100% sure about this but from what I have read, cable tethering may not work but wifi tethering should.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yeah, WIFI tethering seems the only real option, as with other Archos tablets! :-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Wifi tethering is certainly the best (cheapest) arrangement - provided your mobile account allows this.

Just for the record the Archos 80 Cobalt can be used with a dongle. My Archos from Tesco came with Mini USB rather than Micro leads, so I used a separate cable to the dongle (you will need a HOST cable USB to Micro). Orange Huawei E160E came up with a Raoming message (I was using an Orange mobile Sim it may not have liked) but my 3UK Huawei E156G with 3 Broadband Sim provides a good internet connection for 50p per day (250 Meg) for the rare occasion nothing else is available.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just to correct my statement, above, the Orange Huawei E160E does work with the 80 Cobalt. I do not know if this just "came alive" or activated as a result of the following procedure.

I wanted to use my Ovivo Sim (which provides some mobile or broadband for very little) but it usually requires a manual setup - which is lacking on the Cobalt, So I installed the "Network Status" Ap (Jose Antonio Bueno) from Play - well worth a look. However, I did not have all the Ovivo setup info required and no result. The Ap lets you search for available mobile providers - which included Orange. When I tried my Orange Sim again it was working.

For the record my Orange Sim is the 99p on Ebay type (some with £5 credit). Check the detail but while its is PAYG, if you add £10 credit you get 250Mg per month data for a year i.e one £10 gives you 3Gb data over the year in addition to your phone credit. It is a mini Sim (intended for Iphone) - so you need an adaptor. Recommended you make a call every few months to keep it alive and I cannot give any guarantees - but it may assist some.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

erniesone wrote:
I wanted to use my Ovivo Sim (which provides some mobile or broadband for very little) but it usually requires a manual setup - which is lacking on the Cobalt, So I installed the "Network Status" Ap (Jose Antonio Bueno) from Play - well worth a look. However, I did not have all the Ovivo setup info required and no result. The Ap lets you search for available mobile providers - which included Orange. When I tried my Orange Sim again it was working.

I've just added an Ovivo sim to my 101G9. It wouldn't let me create a new APN, but it picked up the sims APNs and allowed me to edit them. I think I edited the one for Pay-As-You-Go internet but don't quote me on that; anyway that did the trick.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:29 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

picked up the sims APNs and allowed me to edit

Having trouble finding this App (and link goes to Ebay) - can you confirm the exact name and producer please