Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:54 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Archos has a new firmware for my tablet!
[install: yes] Farewell my tablet, thanks for the good times! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
[install: yes] Better order a new WiFi router! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
[install: yes] Finally a reason to buy that super tablet from that other company 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
[install: yes] Send a enthousiastic letter to Archos: Guys you made an already great product perfect! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
[install: no] Get used to the relentless new firmware prompts but never give in! 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
[install: no] Life is too short. Should have bought that other tablet... 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
[install: no] Dear tablet I like you just the way you are, I'll protect you from those nasty updates! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes: 2
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

:evil: The initial setup of my new 101 XS went ok and I was able to connect through my Linksys Compact Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54GC v2 using wpa2 protocol and a rather long shared key with mixed case letters and quite a few symbols. The tablet alerted that a firmware update was available and I allowed the update to run its course. As soon as the update to 4.1.2 (Android 4.1.1) was completed I noticed my router was not within reach (even though it was within 2 meter distance) when occasionally (after restarting the tablet) it was "within reach" (duh) it did not pass the verification and no connection was established. I was rather annoyed because only 30 minutes earlier I had downloaded the firmware update using the exact same credentials on the exact same router. Also infuriating was the fact that all routers in the neighborhood were visible including signal strength indications but the wifi router almost touching the tablet was not "within reach". There are plenty of discussion threads dealing with WifI problems after an Archos firmware update (with many hints that the Archos programmers/engineers should be pelted with donuts for producing erratic, seemingly unnecessary updates that instead of enhancing the functionality rather seem to cripple the tablets), but almost none of these discussions pointed me in the right direction. The first thing I did was to make the wpa2 password extremely simple and on one occasion it did connect successfully to the router, but after resetting the password (wpa2 shared key) with a more complicated one the problem returned and I was even unable to replicate my succes with the very simple password. Then I tried to connect to a different router, I happen to have a MyFi gadget (huawei mobile wifi), and things were not looking great, but after restarting the tablet it did manage to connect to this MyFi router without problems (which is excellent when I am on the road but too costly when I'm at home doing some serious downloading and file transferring). In one of the threads it was mentioned that the router could be the culprit, such an observation is counterintuitive when all was fine with the very same router before the firmware upgrade.
:o However I'm a pragmatist and leave no stone unturned when dealing with "computer problems" (in other aspects of life I readily give up after the first hurdle but in the digital realm I am determined as an Olympian to see things through and go for gold). I assumed I had the highest FW for my WRT54GC Linksys router but it turned out that there was a more recent update. To end this already long story: after the update of the ROUTER I had no problems with connecting the tablet to the WiFi router (all WPA2 settings the same as before the tablet FW update). The moral of the story is (I suppose): when no WiFi connection after tablet FW update (= desperation ensues + urge to smash the tablet against the wall) try to connect through a different router (in order to eliminate the updated tablet as the source of the problem) if that is successful you may have to upgrade your primary router (i.e. the one you normally use but that all of a sudden refuses the tablet after the FW update) or possibly replace that one (maybe you can send the bill to Archos). It is a pity that the Archos FW programmers/engineers do not pay more attention to this problem which apparently is not uncommon, but I can also understand that a proposed upgrade cannot be tested on all the hundreds if not thousands brands of Wifi routers that are on the market.
PS: resetting the tablet after the FW update and then reconfiguring the tablet DID NOT work, tried that at least three times!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi, you might want to read this post I sent earlier: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=70287#p417057

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

arclite wrote:
Hi, you might want to read this post I sent earlier: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=70287#p417057
Thx, I abandoned Archos altogether, this model eventually broke down with an unresponsive touch screen (after 10 hard resets or so etc. etc. In a fit of blind rage (quite out of character I should say) I smashed this pos to pieces. I still have a mediocre 13" Archos tablet that I intended to read comics on but the screen-res of that thing is so awful that reading anything on it is a challenge. That particular model also bizarrely changed mac address at every reboot making it useless for my mac address filtering on my router. Come to think of it I also have the fake ipad model lying around (white, 9 inch or so dunno which exact model), NEVER used it. Although I am most definitely not an Apple aficionado I received an iPad air from my employer and I never looked back. Recently I bought an Apple BT keyboard which makes this iPad + keyboard combo virtually unbeatable. Might be tempted to switch to the higher end Windows Surface for the ultimate portable workstation solution but I probably won't have the expandable income to buy it. I do have an early model of the Surface (+ attached KB) and use that occasionally, it is far superior to any android tablet for MS Office work and its battery outperforms any Android tablet that I know of (which is not saying much).

BTW: Up to its hardware failure the Archos 101 XS did serve me all and all quite well and I used it a lot for my classes at Uni. esp. as a reading tablet, pdf annotation and obviously as a web browser. Was kind of sad when the rage ebbed away and I pondered over the smashed pieces of that one time cherished work pony. Most reviews brutally dissed this particular model but my experience was mostly positive, except for the incredibly poor battery which never gave you much use over 2 - 2.5 hours and maybe just 45 mins playing a (tower defense) game...

RIP Archos!