Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:31 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Archos Slipping
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:09 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

So since it seems that Archos will not be making anymore 4" or 5" models with a HDD any longer ... anyone know any other products that could closely compare to what I'm looking for?

Post subject: Re: Archos Slipping
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 4:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well, let me think... Apple still makes the 160gb iPod Classic... and yep, that's it. There are no other portable media players with hard drives. Apparently the unwashed masses like us were supposed to move our audio and video collections to the "cloud" already and not store anything locally. Since, you know, the cloud is accessible from all over the world... wait...

Are there really so few people with large video collections? Does anybody know what sales have been like for the hard drive models?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:39 pm 

My 60gb a5imt is dying, but all i need is something with a 64gb compatible card slot. Lighter, smaller, less power drain, less lag, less fragile, swappable to other devices and future replacements, and i can buy more cards as the prices fall.

Why do you need a giant library sitting on the device... just swap files from a repository once in a while... you need a backup anyway. If not a pc, then a huge usb disk drive that the g10 can hopefully host. Google gives free cloudspace using an app, but it currently seems to need handling each file seperately.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:42 pm 

Just grab up a couple 64GB micro-SD cards, or USB cards. Then you can swap pretty quickly and easily.

When I get my new tablet, I will be using two 64GB micro-SD cards (one for entertainment, one for work), and a 128GB USB drive. I should have more than enough space on that to not have to deal with cloud dependencies.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:12 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

We went on a weeklong vacation this year to my parents' fishing cabin, taking nothing but my A5IT 500gb, the battery dock, and the composite video cable. At night, my wife and I had an assortment of 25 movies and six different seasons of hour-long dramas to choose from. My daughter had another 25 or so movies and about 200 episodes of animated shows to watch on both 8-hour drives and during indoor times (not to mention my 80gb music library). We didn't have to worry about hauling any laptops, external hard drives, getting any DVDs scratched up... there's no substitution for that kind of freedom.

We have almost 2TB of video at home. We buy tons DVDs when they get discounted, rip them, encode them, and throw them in the cabinet. An Aspire Revo is connected to our main TV upstairs, and a $35 Sony network media player is hooked up to a hard drive on the downstairs TV. We simply don't watch anything on broadcast/cable TV. Some of what we watch on a daily basis is on Netflix, the rest is part of our media collection. I like being able to take that media collection on trips with a single device. Quite a few friends, after seeing our setup, have started doing the same with their own collections (especially children's shows). Yes, my family and I are handling media in ways that aren't extremely common, but the point is that some people are doing it that way. So the hard drive tablet market may be small, but it will continue to exist until reliable 4G cell service is in available in every remote corner of the world.

Also, 64gb is an SDXC size. SDHC tops out at 32gb. How many media players/tablets on the market today actually support SDXC? 32gb fills up pretty darn quickly with full-length movies, concerts, and TV shows - even at 480p.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:55 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

clkeagle wrote:
We went on a weeklong vacation this year to my parents' fishing cabin, taking nothing but my A5IT 500gb, the battery dock, and the composite video cable. At night, my wife and I had an assortment of 25 movies and six different seasons of hour-long dramas to choose from. My daughter had another 25 or so movies and about 200 episodes of animated shows to watch on both 8-hour drives and during indoor times (not to mention my 80gb music library). We didn't have to worry about hauling any laptops, external hard drives, getting any DVDs scratched up... there's no substitution for that kind of freedom.

We have almost 2TB of video at home. We buy tons DVDs when they get discounted, rip them, encode them, and throw them in the cabinet. An Aspire Revo is connected to our main TV upstairs, and a $35 Sony network media player is hooked up to a hard drive on the downstairs TV. We simply don't watch anything on broadcast/cable TV. Some of what we watch on a daily basis is on Netflix, the rest is part of our media collection. I like being able to take that media collection on trips with a single device. Quite a few friends, after seeing our setup, have started doing the same with their own collections (especially children's shows). Yes, my family and I are handling media in ways that aren't extremely common, but the point is that some people are doing it that way. So the hard drive tablet market may be small, but it will continue to exist until reliable 4G cell service is in available in every remote corner of the world.

Also, 64gb is an SDXC size. SDHC tops out at 32gb. How many media players/tablets on the market today actually support SDXC? 32gb fills up pretty darn quickly with full-length movies, concerts, and TV shows - even at 480p.

I'm with you on this one...... Archos is giving up on us. Why not sell devices with user option to choose if the want to swap in a hdd, sdd of their choosing?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:14 am 

clkeagle wrote:
64gb is an SDXC size. SDHC tops out at 32gb. How many media players/tablets on the market today actually support SDXC? 32gb fills up pretty darn quickly with full-length movies, concerts, and TV shows - even at 480p.

I think most every device does handle 64gb cards... its mainly a question of which ones will let you reformat a new sdxc to fat or something usable. Not that the sellers admit it, but you can find results in the forums of customers trying it. If these cards fall in price at the same rate as the 32s, next year one might be able to reasonably carry a pill bottle full of them covering 2tb.

So i might travel lightly with a sansa clip+, samsung gp4.2, and archos gen10... each with 64gb cards inserted, totaling a fifth of a terrabyte before even messing with pill bottles. I'm tired of losing disk capacity because something else on the device dies... hurray for detachable storage.

I've got a stack of 5 laptops dead or dying for reasons other than their expensive disk drives. My a5 60gb now fries any usb port it plugs into (a short?), so that data is all lost to me. Now my master copy is on usb disk drives... both apple and microsoft format copies. Maybe soon there will be cheap 128 flash storage, a handful of which can obsolete disks... why drag out a doomed trend of disk drives.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:28 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

viking wrote:
I think most every device will handle 64gb... its mainly a question of which ones will let you reformat a new sdxc to fat or something usable. Not that the sellers admit it, but you can find results in the forums of customers trying it. If these cards fall in price at the same rate as the 32s, next year one might be able to reasonably carry a pill bottle full of them covering 2tb.

So i might travel lightly with a sansa clip+, samsung gp4.2, and archos gen10... each with 64gb cards inserted, totaling a fifth of a terrabyte before even messing with pill bottles. I'm tired of losing disk capacity because something else on the device dies... hurray for detachable storage.

I've got a stack of 5 laptops dead or dying for reasons other than their expensive disk drives. My a5 60gb now fries any usb port it plugs into (a short?), so that data is all lost to me. Now my master copy is on usb drives... both apple and microsoft format copies. Maybe soon there will be cheap 128 flash storage which can obsolete disks... why drag out a doomed trend of disks.

And how many 5-year-olds would you trust handling a pill bottle full of MicroSD cards in the back seat during a long car ride? :) I'm looking for a solution, not a compromise.

You're quite right that hard drives are an outdated technology and prone to failure. And you didn't even mention the fact that they drain battery life far more quickly than solid state storage. If solid state drives (or an equivalent) drop to the point where 250ish GB of storage can go into a tablet - you won't hear a single Archos fan say the words "hard drive" again. But I see 256GB solid state drives selling for $200 on their own today. The A80 G9 250GB tablet can be found for $275. So for now, I'd like to see Archos continue with at least one hard-drive model for each tablet generation. When the time is right, they can make the move to solid state (or internal micro SDXC or whatever else develops in the next couple of years).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:43 am 

clkeagle wrote:
And you didn't even mention the fact that they drain battery life far more quickly than solid state storage.

Yes i did, and i promise i didnt edit it in afterwards... this forum doesnt flag edits by moderators for some reason... and by the way you are the keeper of the pill bottle.

viking wrote:
Lighter, smaller, less power drain, less lag, less fragile, swappable to other devices and future replacements, and i can buy more cards as the prices fall.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:32 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

viking wrote:
Yes i did, and i promise i didnt edit it in afterwards...

Oops, missed that. :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Cowon still makes those fat mediaplayers.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The prob is Archos already makes so many different products, they can't afford to make even more and so Archos has to choose to limit skews, limit the different capacities, and perhaps the work needed to add 1TB HDD version of Gen10 wasn't worth it for Archos, as adding 1TB in there adds thickness so it can hardly be called XS anymore, and the price to develop HDD skews is perhaps too high compared to just making more of the same skew 16GB with MicroSDXC.

For Archos to easily be able to release 5-6-7 different sizes and different skews per sizes, we need to wait and see if France's Francois Hollande or the EU does some strategic investing in Archos, for France and the EU to have a strategic leader in competition with US and Asian giants Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, Sony etc. Other than Archos, France and Europe has nothing else. With more cash, Archos can afford to manufacture many more of each skew, thus supplying all the worldwide demand for tablets, and expanding to more sizes like 5", 7", add 1TB skews to all sizes, and make more skews, some with SIM card slots to compete with smartphones, some with Pixel Qi screens to compete with e-readers, some with 11.6", 12.1" and 13,3" screens to compete with Ultrabooks and Netbooks, some as a laptop without touch screen to be a true ARM Powered Laptop, some with Chrome OS on ARM, Ubuntu on ARM, Google TV on ARM and perhaps even some skews with Windows RT.

Even robots and everything, if Archos gets more cash investments they can make everything at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:44 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Charbax wrote:
The prob is Archos already makes so many different products, they can't afford to make even more and so Archos has to choose to limit skews, limit the different capacities, and perhaps the work needed to add 1TB HDD version of Gen10 wasn't worth it for Archos, as adding 1TB in there adds thickness so it can hardly be called XS anymore, and the price to develop HDD skews is perhaps too high compared to just making more of the same skew 16GB with MicroSDXC.

For Archos to easily be able to release 5-6-7 different sizes and different skews per sizes, we need to wait and see if France's Francois Hollande or the EU does some strategic investing in Archos, for France and the EU to have a strategic leader in competition with US and Asian giants Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, Sony etc. Other than Archos, France and Europe has nothing else. With more cash, Archos can afford to manufacture many more of each skew, thus supplying all the worldwide demand for tablets, and expanding to more sizes like 5", 7", add 1TB skews to all sizes, and make more skews, some with SIM card slots to compete with smartphones, some with Pixel Qi screens to compete with e-readers, some with 11.6", 12.1" and 13,3" screens to compete with Ultrabooks and Netbooks, some as a laptop without touch screen to be a true ARM Powered Laptop, some with Chrome OS on ARM, Ubuntu on ARM, Google TV on ARM and perhaps even some skews with Windows RT.

Even robots and everything, if Archos gets more cash investments they can make everything at the same time.

I think the 5inch market is dying due to larger phones from 4.3 to 5.5 inches. Who wants "another device to carry arround" in a similar size (appart from me as my phone is small!). These days, bigger is better.
As Charbax said, it is down to money and market strategy. You have to sell to the masses, Archos were there first, but the market has changed. Cloud storage is the "new" thing, but internet coverage is the weak link.
Unfortunatly, minority groups are largely ignored. I run a photographic shop, but I don't stock black and white printing paper or chemicals. There is not enough demand for it and it has a limited shelf life.

I'm not saying they don't get it wrong. If google put micro Sd into the nexus 7 it would sell at least twice as many units, probably more (waiting to see what Asus do with their unit).

Everyone has different needs and uses. no device is perfect, we just have to learn to make do, or set up our own business and make it ourselves!

marcel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:20 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I agree that hard drive implementation was a real point of differentiation for Archos and my previous purchases have been hard drive based just for the convenience. But this time around I changed to the 16gb flash gen 9 80. The main thing that swayed me was that I could have two standing lots of storage on board in the form of micro sd and USB stick via 3g slot (I dont use this for 3g modem) or I could attach portable hard drive anyway if needed and do carry one around sometimes for that purpose.

Effectively I could have 64gb on micro sd and 64gb or even more on usb stick totaling 128gb or more with the option to carry duplicates of these if needed or portable hard drive. In reality, memory prices are coming down and capacity increasing so as to make the hard drive options less attractive I guess. My 2 cents anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:39 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

there is the wifi-equipped external harddisks out there. Seagate has one that goes to 500 GB.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:02 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Looks like even Samsung is abandoning the 5" media player market with their new 5.8" media player.
But if you follow the money stream, it's not coming from small media players with large storage.

I was afraid that G10 was only going to be sold with keyboard, but I think it's good that Archos decided to make the keyboards optional. There's lots of price pressure and the extra price of a keyboard can steer the customers away.

For G11 I think Archos should go for IPS screens.

I hope Archos is also looking at the set-top market.
The Archos video player with built in upnp is a good start.
Something like this: http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/echostar-h ... 7-09-2012/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:18 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

:(
I saw new Titanium line. Finally there is a 7" ..... but no news about and HARD DISK version !!!
I'm realy disappointed about Archos.
Any week I go in the forums hoping to read some news about a new HARD DISK version. Unfortunatelly I read only of new 10" and 9,7" of many types: Titanium, cobalt, XS, Carbon ,........
all similar tablets, no reason about difference of price, you can find probably a new model that cost less than an old model and it is much better.
I'm realy disappointed about Archos.

I hope in a rationalization of the offer or, if they want to continue to produce so different models ... at least produce also an HARD DISK one !!!!!!! :evil:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:18 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I am also of the 'no hard drive no deal' brigade. I do not travel around but until I go to bed, I don't know what mood I am in do don't know what I will watch. 128 GB of *affordable* internal storage of the non-spinning variety would be my minimal requirement. Cannot be bothered will multiple micro cards that are too small to label.

DrT

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:50 pm 

what i would actually like to see is more than 1 sd slot, i currently have 3 64 gb cards and around 5 32gb cards, i have found that the problem with the microsd cards is they are too small and have lost a few in the past. but if i was able to say put a bank of 4 cards into the machine all locked into place with a cover (how many of you guys have accidently knocked out a sd card when looking for the volume or power in the dark) then the days of hard drives are well and truely dead.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:23 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

roylovelock wrote:
what i would actually like to see is more than 1 sd slot, i currently have 3 64 gb cards and around 5 32gb cards, i have found that the problem with the microsd cards is they are too small and have lost a few in the past. but if i was able to say put a bank of 4 cards into the machine all locked into place with a cover (how many of you guys have accidently knocked out a sd card when looking for the volume or power in the dark) then the days of hard drives are well and truely dead.

That sounds like a plan :idea: .

DrT