Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:26 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's totally awesome. I use it as my main laptop replacement. My ultrabook is thrown out as I shown in my initial video-review http://archosfans.com/2012/08/25/archos ... g-machine/, I can use this for most things I need instead when I am on travels. There may be a couple of bugs on my firmware, the one that bugs me the most is that Gmail app doesn't support backspace or delete buttons correctly on this pre-release beta firmware. So I mostly use the web based Gmail for when I need to write long emails. I need to check with Archos if they can send me a newer firmware version or I can wait for them to release the production firmware. I think the production firmware is probably Jelly Bean, so I probably have to wait for that, maybe they can send me a beta of JB to test, I'll let you know. Anyways, the device is masterfully awesome, impressively thin, light, nice, and I can type at full speed on the keyboard fine. My typos are few. I think the keyboard is better than the Asus Transformer keyboard docks, better than Sony Xperia Tablet keyboard dock and I think it's better than the Logitech keyboard dock for iPad3.

I think release date was planned as soon as mid-September in certain European regions, but that hasn't started yet. Thus release may start next month in Europe and also in the USA although they previously said November was the release month for the USA.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Any experience with the GPS on the G10? Eventhough I wasn't expecting top notch performance from a presumably cheap component, GPS has been the biggest letdown in my Archos G9 80.
It has been virtually impossible to get a decent fix even with the lates firmware updates.
In my use requirements for a tablet's features are very basic and I'm wondering if I'd be better off with an even cheaper "Chinese" tablet and an external bt gps.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:06 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

My wife took stock of a 101xs today, bought direct from Archos after a delay in delivery. Coming from a Mac for productivity, there's some curve for her but she has an Android phone so I'm hopeful...

While setting it up, it felt fast and very responsive. Chrome flies along and multi-tasking feels good. Keyboard felt good to me, and I have large hands! Still, I'm sticking with my A80 G9 as its now about right for me. Looks good too! Will try out GPS, but wi-fi feels solid.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just received my 101XS today and I must say so far I´m quite impressed with it, especially after I read much negative stuff about it....
Seems like the quality was improved between pre-release and sold units.

Just one thing (except the waiting for Jelly Bean :D ) bothering me at the moment:
Has there any development started to root the device?
I just read that the problem is that system is stored in a squashfs ...

Would be great to get root access, to deinstall some stuff I dont need, use SetCPU for Tweaking and so on...