PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So no Pixel Qi for G10?

Post subject: Re: Pixel Qi?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:08 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Funny, I was just looking up their blog before reading ArchosFans...

Pixel Qi is technology in limbo -- and if you're a frequent Popular Science or even Engadget reader, you know the thrills and fails of exciting but long-in-promise technology like this.

I have a feeling that 3M investment in Pixel Qi a while back will eventually pay off big. But in the meantime, I've been waiting since 2010 for this screen tech to reach maturity and notable market presence to little avail. I wouldn't hold your breath ... but if you DO see a Pixel Qi in a capable device (and Archos could be that company and it'd be awesome,) do give it a looksee because this is tech we need to reward if they can finally establish it in a worthy package.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Archos for now is too small a company to launch Pixel Qi mass manufacturing. Even if everyone of the 3 million Archos tablets made and sold in 2012 were using Pixel Qi, that wouldn't be enough to enable the launch of Pixel Qi at a scale that enables it to be priced like normal LCD and mass manufactured as fast and as many as normal LCD. We need someone huge like Google, Amazon or Apple to make some big Pixel Qi orders of 10 million units per quarter or more for it to reach the mass market. Asus doesn't take that chance with Nexus7 but hopefully I'm thinking it's possible Google will invest in mass manufacturing 10+ million Pixel Qi screens with Motorola. Then Google can make sure any Android tablet and smartphone maker can easily have access to Pixel Qi screens at the same price as normal LCD.

Pixel Qi has already been released in over 3 million devices thus far, mostly in the OLPC Laptop project that over 2.5 million children have been using in third world countries for the past 3 years. A dozen military projects use Pixel Qi today because Pixel Qi is the only low power sunlight readable LCD screen technology.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:06 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm sure alot of people would pay the extra cost for a Archos Pixel Qi screen tablet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtxpSUpgOUs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:56 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Charbax wrote:
Pixel Qi has already been released in over 3 million devices thus far, mostly in the OLPC Laptop project that over 2.5 million children have been using in third world countries for the past 3 years. A dozen military projects use Pixel Qi today because Pixel Qi is the only low power sunlight readable LCD screen technology.

Ah, I know that there were those plans of military and charity device manufacturing but I wasn't aware that it actually shipped. All of the purchaseable products I've seen sporting Pixel Qi monitors (aside from the NotionInk Adam and the replacement screen options) do not seem to be able to be ordered yet. But it's good to see it finding purposeful markets, I hope it comes my way in a big way too sometime soon.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:09 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

camhostage, call here see what they can do http://www.lcdsolar.com/Products/Transflective.aspx