Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: What should Archos do?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:12 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

G10 XS sounds excellent, I posted my comments in http://archosfans.com/2012/03/15/archos ... announced/

I hope it's similar to Microsoft Surface, with a built-in kick-stand like Archos has been doing them greatly since 2005 and a keyboard dock so thin it doubles as a screen protector but also provides a full speed keyboard with mousepad.

Archos G10 XS may be so amazingly thin, powerful with the rumored OMAP4470 with a new XGS544 GPU (perhaps the industry's fastest yet), what's Archos doing about 3G? G9 USB 3G sticks were awesome but I wonder if too few consumers bought it, maybe Archos has to think differently for how to allow the 3G/4G/LTE option. Perhaps some type of module.

Can Archos make it ready to dual-boot into Windows RT also? I think Archos should go with Jelly Bean at launch but make it clear that if Microsoft allows them, Archos would be happy to offer consumers a "plugin" that installs Windows RT as a dual-boot. Installing Windows RT exclusively is a mistake, but offering consumers the choice to pay the Windows RT licence to dual-boot is a great service.

What else should Archos do?

- I think there can be 5" to beat Galaxy Note. Just make it as Archos mastered with up to Gen7. Aim around 5" whichever best value approx 5" LCD is available on the market, 1280x720 or 1280x800 if possible. And make it simple otherwise, same OMAP4470 and features as the bigger tablets of the range.

- 7" to tease and beat Galaxy7/KF2 and Apple iPad Mini. Don't forget to include kick-stand, MicroSD, HDMI, and perhaps also that new 3G/4G/LTE module solution if there is one.

The rule should be on 5" and 7" to try to use as little bezel as possible. Even if that puts the speakers to the back, less bezel is better.

- Archos Google TV, compete with all of Vizio Co-Star Google TV, LG Google TV, Samsung Google TV and devices like the Nexus Q, Roku and Apple TV. The genius of Archos would be to hub tablets to the HDTV, but focus on using Google TV software if possible. Or else plain Android but aiming it towards Google TV UI when Google can provide it. $99.

- Archos Chromebook, same OMAP4470 as rest of the range. This one should be simple, but use a 13.3" screen and full sized keyboard and mousepad as good quality as on the Ultrabooks of the market. Price it $199 and Archos becomes the number 1 most wanted Laptop brand in the world. That easy. Just make sure it runs Chrome OS or Chromium OS, whichever Google can provide for OMAP4470 today. Ingenious would be an empty 2.5" hard drive slot for optional storage expansion but otherwise 8GB built-in Flash to run the Chrome OS is enough, 2GB RAM maybe.

What else should Archos do?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hmmm....how about:

An inductive charging device, like the ill-fated Palm Pre. Wireless charging would be awesome and remove stress on the micro-usb port.

Perhaps look not at 3G but a (true) 4G device of some sort. This would require compatibility with the various flavours to avoid an iPad-esque faux pas.

Imbue the new XS device with a higher end 'feel' but keep the price under control. I like the stainless steel body.

Get it to market quickly!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:22 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Totally agree about the game player. My problem with buying technology right now is that everything is exactly the same as 50 other products and it's tough to tell how much difference you'd get between the $99 knock-off and the $599 elite product. I've had great experiences with cheap throw-away devices, I've had horrible experiences when I splurged on pricey name-brand products.

So, some variety and market exploration seems well overdue. And a dedicated game player in the Android market is ripe for the picking. (And although the Sony Xperia Play disappointed, look at massive Kickstarter interest in OUYA and you see people taking notice of such a device.) The underlying hardware could be quite similar to products already in the Archos line, and the OS would just need a great launcher pre-installed (maybe add a "game now" button to jump to the launcher for user friendliness?)

I also like the Archos Child Pad quite a bit (did that ever ship?) And the Archos Home Connect seems like it's just an iteration away from finally replacing the alarm clock I've had since childhood (its major problem seems to be screen contrast ratio as in clock mode the black is still light and so the whole thing is too bright, an Amazon reviewer suggested that this was the perfect storm device for an OLED screen; I also balked at the $120 price even though the features are fair for what you pay for if you use everything.) And while I'm not sold on the Google TV device need right now (but why not make one, right?,) it's possible that this market will eventually ignite.

Other devices I think might be worth exploring:

-- DVR: There's still a huge need for home recording devices, particularly with the older-age and off-the-grid audiences. There are still people who buy VCRs every day at Wal-Marts. Digital solutions began and ended with the TIVO, and although cable and satellite companies now regularly provide recording boxes at affordable prices, it's still usually a service upgrade that not everybody buys into. I would love to see Archos pick up the pieces it left behind in the Archos 6 series, and I would particularly appreciate if they could offer both SD and HD device variants (one cheap for the Wal-Mart crowd, one pricier for those who want high quality.) Maybe this could be one of the options they build into their Google TV device. (Critics seem shocked that initial G-TV devices didn't included DVR functionality, maybe this is what's needed to kick up the market?)

-- Skype Phone: A TV-bound or portable device for video calling.

-- Budget PMPs: The Clipper and other small devices are attractive, but so far I'm sold on SanDisk's Sansa Clip line. The iPod market seems to be dried up thanks to media phones but little portable music players (especially if they include sport functionalities) still have a good place in the market I hope.

-- Market-Specific Products: The Child Pad is a great move towards re-utilizing everything already in your capacity to reach another market. I'd also like to see something for older folks, like a simplified "EZ" product that focuses on delivering a complete package out of the box even if you never hook it up to the internet and get an app account. Or an outdoorsman's device (with Pixel Qi screen, I wish I wish) designed to provide electronic data handy in the field.

-- Less!! : It's easy to say cool stuff Archos should do, but I actually think some time should be spent on the things they have done they should not do. No more Bs and Cs and Ds in the "eReader" market (especially if you don't have e-ink in any of them.) Do we need both Elements and Arnovas, and what about Visions? Decide, because over-complication of the market is not doing Archos any favors. I'm all for quickly adjusting to a rapidly-developing market, but if you leave your customers thinking for too long about what to get, eventually they'll give up and just get that iPad that they know they can't go wrong with.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

camhostage wrote:
My problem with buying technology right now is that everything is exactly the same as 50 other products and it's tough to tell how much difference you'd get between the $99 knock-off and the $599 elite product. I've had great experiences with cheap throw-away devices, I've had horrible experiences when I splurged on pricey name-brand products.

A Archos tablet with a Pixel Qi screen would really differentiate itself from other tablets & warrant a higher price. I & many others see no problem with paying a premium for a Pixel Qi screen, It would also attract a lot of people of have yet not heard of Pixel Qi display technology.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:01 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

support for at least 10bit 720p MKV video and more robust play-from-LAN ability :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:28 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zenstrive wrote:
support for at least 10bit 720p MKV video and more robust play-from-LAN ability :)

The anime people use codec techniques that are never compatible with current hardware because they are too lazy and just use their own 100W over-heated over-priced machines to play those cartoons back.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:01 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Something like AirPlay (AppleTv box is required) so we can stream live channels from Archos to TV without cable. Play games on Archos and watch it on TV without any cable. Basically I want wireless streaming to TV.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

garbagechos wrote:
Something like AirPlay (AppleTv box is required) so we can stream live channels from Archos to TV without cable. Play games on Archos and watch it on TV without any cable. Basically I want wireless streaming to TV.

I think there already are a bunch of Android solutions for that. Archos released one they call Archos Remote or something like that. You can't get high graphics nor video in high quality and high bitrates nor high framerates wirelessly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:03 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Ok that's great if it's available.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:39 am 

I just want a 10-12" tablet with 2GB of RAM and a docking/keyboard station. Then I could do most of my work straight from that, and I could leave my monster 17" desktop replacement laptop at home and use that for the really high-end work.

A tablet with a TI OMAP 4470 (or better), 2GB of DDR3 RAM, and a nice size screen (10-12") with 1080p resolution running Android 4.1 (or whatever the current one is at the time of release) would be exactly what I'm looking for in a mobile system. I could do most of my office/productivity work on that while I travel, and then I can pass off the work to my laptop that would require that kind of power or more RAM.

Of course the finer things are important as well, such as a quality screen, decent battery life (possibly extended by the dock like the ASUS Transformer systems), and other things like that. If Archos put out a tablet like that with at least 16-32GB of onboard storage, I would have no problem paying $400+ for that kind of setup. I would prefer to have an Archos system as my main tablet/mobile system, especially for the native media capabilities. I like the new ASUS Transformer Infinity, but I'm not going to pay $500+ for the system and another $150 for the dock. For $650, I'd rather just shell out the extra and buy a high-end UltraBook with a third-gen i7 and 4-6GB of RAM with a 256GB SSD.

Edit: Also I would like an induction charger, as well as the option to charge via microUSB. This way you can still charge with a generic microUSB cable, but you have the ability to charge while still using the microUSB for other things, without the need for a proprietary charging port (like the hard drive models). This is not really something I need, but I don't like the idea of charging through a proprietary port for anything. If the only charging option is microUSB, then there should be two microUSB ports, so the system can charge while the port is still in use. I mainly just don't want a proprietary port for anything; everything should be generic so anything can be used.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:02 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Harfainx wrote:
Edit: Also I would like an induction charger, as well as the option to charge via microUSB. This way you can still charge with a generic microUSB cable, but you have the ability to charge while still using the microUSB for other things, without the need for a proprietary charging port (like the hard drive models). This is not really something I need, but I don't like the idea of charging through a proprietary port for anything. If the only charging option is microUSB, then there should be two microUSB ports, so the system can charge while the port is still in use. I mainly just don't want a proprietary port for anything; everything should be generic so anything can be used.

Since G9 the charging port on Archos (also the Hard drive versions no?) is MicroUSB but wish a special MicroUSB cable and adapter allowing for 1.5 Amps faster charging than the standard 0.5 Amps MicroUSB cable and charger. Thus you can charge with any other MicroUSB cable but you're not guaranteed to get the full 1.5 Amps fast charge speed if you forget or loose your Archos MicroUSB cable and charger. I think this new faster charging MicroUSB is becoming a standard also for other new Android phones and tablets, so pretty soon I guess it'll be standard to charge with the full 1.5 Amps on all MicroUSB. I guess it's a bit messy, having to put stickers on fast charge MicroUSB cables, but I guess it's better than still using proprietary charging connectors.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:11 am 

Yeah my G9 has the fast-charging microUSB port, but I wasn't sure if the hard drive models still used the other charging method that some of the G8's used. If they're away from that entirely, then my argument there is gone. I just don't enjoy any proprietary cables for anything, so I would like to see them stay away from those.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Zenstrive wrote:

Yeah do we know if this or the Gamepad or any G10 series can play 10-bit?

Also being able to move/copy/delete files on LAN shares like ES File Explorer can would be nice.

Charbax wrote:
Zenstrive wrote:

The anime people use codec techniques that are never compatible with current hardware because they are too lazy and just use their own 100W over-heated over-priced machines to play those cartoons back.

Who cares about what nonsense the anime people will do next. The point is that the Samsung Galaxy S III can play 10-bit 720p h.264, so why shouldn't we expect at least that much of Archos?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:45 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

What about improving product quality?
Being one of the first to deploy new innovative units is great but when we notice a trend of the same product issues generation after generation, is it worthed? Why don't they take a breath, review the quality issues and fix them before releasing the next generation?

The common issues so far are unreliable HDD and problems with GPS lock.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers.

Last edited by Wrwolvz on Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:41 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

No HDD in Gen10 and you can't expect much from GPS technology, especially not indoors, GPS needs 3G-modem assist to be more reliable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax wrote:
No HDD in Gen10 and you can't expect much from GPS technology, especially not indoors, GPS needs 3G-modem assist to be more reliable.

My Nexus 7's (wifi only, no 3G) GPS locks in quickly and flawlessly every time I use it.

Disappointed Archos 70it & 80 9g owner
Very happy Nexus 7 owner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

tabber wrote:
Charbax wrote:

My Nexus 7's (wifi only, no 3G) GPS locks in quickly and flawlessly every time I use it.

Very happy Nexus 7 owner

Nexus 7 came out 2 years after Archos 70it and 1 year after Archos 80 G9, you can't really suggest Archos should do better so many years earlier.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:00 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I personally prefer A70it than any other tablet in the market, I have it since 2 years.
There is not NEXUS , KINDLE, GALAXY or IPAD that have 250 GB of storage.

With my very portable A70it I surf on the web, I see streaming, I carry with me all my music and my series, I see movies on TV via HDMI !
what other tablet give me all these functionalities ?

I will wait and buy next tablet only when ARCHOS will release a new 7" ( maybe in ELEMETS seryes ) with hard disk !

Come on Archos ........... give me some good news !!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Charbax wrote:
tabber wrote:
Charbax wrote:

Very happy Nexus 7 owner

Nexus 7 came out 2 years after Archos 70it and 1 year after Archos 80 G9, you can't really suggest Archos should do better so many years earlier.

Charb:

You made the declaration that 3G assist is needed for more reliable GPS. My response was effectively 'No you Don't', as evidenced by the GPS performance of wifi only Nexus 7.

Archos just needs to start requiring its low tier Chinese manufacturers to use higher quality components in the production of its tablets, in order that they actually deliver the tablet functionality they promised hard working Archos customers.

Very happy Nexus 7 owner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:30 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Tabber,

You are right, the GPS position lock on the NEXUS 7 is surprisingly fast. I even tried in the basement, close to the Window, and it locked within 10 seconds.

If Archos wants to compete with the newer tablet, they need to improve the GPS functionality.

Cheers,
Wrwolvz.