Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:31 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:00 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Charbax wrote:
Thor20003 wrote:
in 2-3 months the 7" Element will be competing with quad core devices with 1280x800 resolution.

7" Elements starts at $99, the Asus Quad-core has been announced starting at $249 (but it's possible Asus actually won't sell it cheaper than $349 claiming the low capacity isn't in stock, same Asus did announcing cheap prices but mostly only selling the higher capacity Transformer Prime with expensive Keyboard Docks and Netbooks).

7" is 129. ;)

We will see how it turns out. :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

exelletor wrote:
Charbax wrote:
Thor20003 wrote:
in 2-3 months the 7" Element will be competing with quad core devices with 1280x800 resolution.

7" Elements starts at $99, the Asus Quad-core has been announced starting at $249 (but it's possible Asus actually won't sell it cheaper than $349 claiming the low capacity isn't in stock, same Asus did announcing cheap prices but mostly only selling the higher capacity Transformer Prime with expensive Keyboard Docks and Netbooks).

7" is 129. ;)

We will see how it turns out. :)

Archos elements actually starts at 100Ôé¼ which equals about $100 (without the European VAT) in the USA:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:45 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Definitely interesting. I hope we hear more information soon.

So with the new Element prices being lower and better hardware, shouldn't the price of the 70b IT drop significantly.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:50 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Charbax wrote:
I asked Steven Synofsky and Michael Anguilo (the top Microsoft Windows 8 guys featured in my video: http://armdevices.net/2012/02/29/window ... ighlights/ ) a couple weeks ago and they told me Android can be dual-booted as long as the manufacturer decides to make an official Android boot on the same secure booting system.

Yes, I did oversimplify. However, this does mean no SDE, no custom ROMs, no custom kernel modules, and probably no persistent or reliable root on the secure-booted Android. Not what Archos Android customers are used to. Matthew Garrett describes the problems.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:02 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I now officially hate Archos............ :evil:

I was loving my G9 80 turbo and everything about it. =D>

Now I find I am just waiting for the release of the G10 xs so I can get one of those.

I loved the Asus transformer with keyboard but found it a bit heavy and lumpy......

Now Archos have answered all my desires only to leave me waiting........

Oh and for the price quoted I will be getting the top of the range unit on the day its available then ebaying my G9 80, my 101 and an HP touchpad plus a couple of 7 inch tablets I have lying around to cover some of the costs. :shock:

OK I admit it, I'm a gadget whore....... :oops:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:29 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

jfmcbrayer wrote:
Charbax wrote:
I asked Steven Synofsky and Michael Anguilo (the top Microsoft Windows 8 guys featured in my video: http://armdevices.net/2012/02/29/window ... ighlights/ ) a couple weeks ago and they told me Android can be dual-booted as long as the manufacturer decides to make an official Android boot on the same secure booting system.

Yes, I did oversimplify. However, this does mean no SDE, no custom ROMs, no custom kernel modules, and probably no persistent or reliable root on the secure-booted Android. Not what Archos Android customers are used to. Matthew Garrett describes the problems.

Yes, but maybe there is still going to be an SDE firmware that more clearly voids all warranties including Microsofts warranties for security/etc. Or maybe that if you do install the SDE you are not allowed to run Windows 8 on the device ever again, something like that. I think Secure Boot does make sense. It's useful to know that when you use a device there can't possibly be some nasty back-doors/malware/viruses snooping on everything you do. Microsoft made a huge effort removing all the bloatware in Windows with Windows 8, and removing things like hopefully viruses not being able to spread through attachments or USB keys etc anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:38 am 
Archos User
Archos User

The news are interesting.
but what is the future of hard drive disk use?
i think that it is the peculiarity of archos products

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:39 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Great technology and hardware implementation here. The only problem is that, as with last generation, I'm worried that there will be too many damned SKUs and not enough clear delineation. If they hold to simply what they have here (the XS as the top-of-the-line laptop replacement/tablet solution, the Archos Elements as their standard Gen10 models, assuming they are "Gen10", and the Arnova as the budget line,) that'd be a solid lineup. Do Windows variants as well if the market asks for it, but don't change the names much, just add a modifier or something very clear and simple. Overall, they need to clearly establish what makes Elements better over Arnova (Google certification, Archos touches like kickstand, and media codec support) and they need to knock off all the 7b's and faux-eReaders and other devices that just muck up their product line (unless, of course, they have a good reason to introduce another SKU, like adding a PixelQi-screen variant, but then work that into the model structure and don't give it a totally confusing name ... the Archos Child for instance fits in nicely no matter what the specs might compare to.)

Go to Amazon and try to buy an Archos device, for example, it's hopeless. What they have here is a great attack plan, STICK WITH IT!

Wavelength 405 wrote:
I agree future Archos tablets should have Pixel Qi. Archos should not release a next gen Archos tablet unless it has Pixel Qi & a higher resolution display, one that matches or passes the new Apple iPad or comes close.

They are improving the Pixel Qi tech (although they've been unfortunately quite this year, after the release of the Notion Ink tablet it seems like all the wind came out of their sails, though perhaps they're being quiet because of the 3M investment?) That, but also, resolution is too heavily touted because it's a measurable metric. Yes, you can see the difference in a high resolution if you have a great screen that plays it up (Apple's products are always the comparable standard,) but color response and contrast and viewing angle and light reflectivity are so much more important at the end when you're buying an electronic media device. Touchscreen response is also something that could improve, I like the clip Charbax shared for IR Touch improvements, and also thought Microsoft's 1MS response rate demo was very compelling.

If all any tablet maker does is chase Apple (especially when they have opportunities to capitalize on areas that Apple won't touch with their single-SKU approach,) they will suffer.

elitistlinuxuser wrote:
Archos should make low cost Android smartphones along with making tablets because there are so many options for low cost tablets and because many people just don't want tablets.

The tablet market has taken off and sucked everybody in, and the cellphone market has killed off the PMP market, but I agree that the small size is still worth exploring. Archos hasn't done much with 5"-and-below since Gen7, there's a lot of potential there with stronger chips and better Android versions.

And while the Android Home devices haven't done much good yet, I like that line and hope they find something with that concept that could pay off (maybe like a digital bulletin board for family use?) I also miss the Archos PVR/DVR they had going in Gen6. It seems like between DLNA and WiFi and all the other resources they have the kind of business plan in Home products to do what Google and Apple and MS and everybody keep teasing about all-room digital integration, Archos could put a product line together now that sold that dream.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:34 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I'm hugely disappointed to hear that there will be no 5" form factor in the next gen.

As an Archos user for 5 years, and as someone who goes to bed every right with his A5IT, and gets awakened by it every morning, the 5" form factor is perfect. 7" is too big, and 4" is too small for video or books in bed.

Looks like I'll be using my A5IT for at least another 2 years.... hope it lasts. Otherwise, it's going to be a Galaxy Note for me, but I'm sure the codec video playback will be inferior by comparison to my 3 year old Archos.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

gylman wrote:
I'm hugely disappointed to hear that there will be no 5" form factor in the next gen.

Archos G10 sizes have not yet been announced!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:02 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Charbax wrote:

So are the Elements models G10 devices or was that Archos rebranding other devices in the line-up? (It wasn't clear in the product announcement coverage I saw.)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:05 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

camhostage wrote:
Charbax wrote:

So are the Elements models G10 devices or was that Archos rebranding other devices in the line-up? (It wasn't clear in the product announcement coverage I saw.)

Elements is not G10, Elements is a new series, in between Arnova and G9/G10, Elements is I think likely RK30 based.

RK30 is the Dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 from Rockchip that should be sampling in April, maybe ready for release in May, that is based on my Interview with Rockchip http://armdevices.net/2012/02/29/rockch ... announced/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:35 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I sincerely hope in a 5" size with hard drive 500GB too.

I think that there is still a market of great-storage customers. They choose Archos for the Hard disk.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:38 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

If that Archos Elements 8" series can handle 720P 10bit anime, I'd buy it. For now, I am tempted by the sexy looking Galaxy Tab 7.7....on sale on my place for ~ 750 bucks complete with dock and bonuses...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just checked out the new Apple iPad display & wow! Archos is in big trouble if there G10 display does not match, or beat or come real close to the new Apple iPad display. It's the first time I been impressed by the iPad. Its really hard going back to 1280 x 800. Archos should just work only work on Hi Res Pixel Qi display technologies.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

gylman wrote:

As an Archos user for 5 years, and as someone who goes to bed every right with his A5IT, and gets awakened by it every morning, the 5" form factor is perfect. 7" is too big, and 4" is too small for video or books in bed.

Looks like I'll be using my A5IT for at least another 2 years.... hope it lasts. Otherwise, it's going to be a Galaxy Note for me, but I'm sure the codec video playback will be inferior by comparison to my 3 year old Archos.

Have you checked the Samsung Galaxy Player 5.0? http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mp3-pl ... G70CWY/XAA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:25 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wavelength 405 wrote:
Just checked out the new Apple iPad display & wow! Archos is in big trouble if there G10 display does not match, or beat or come real close to the new Apple iPad display. It's the first time I been impressed by the iPad. Its really hard going back to 1280 x 800. Archos should just work only work on Hi Res Pixel Qi display technologies.

Most consumers don't see a difference and don't think the new iPad display is worth paying $250 more than Archos G9 1.5Ghz:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-57399 ... -new-ipad/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iox5Q2nWi-Q

Also, the iPad3 uses nearly 2x more power than the iPad2 because of that higher resolution display.

Archos G10 can use either Pixel Qi 1280x800 or 1920x1200 and I think that'd be more than enough.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

"Most consumers don't see a difference and don't think the new iPad display is worth paying $250 more than Archos G9 1.5Ghz:
Also, the iPad3 uses nearly 2x more power than the iPad2 because of that higher resolution display.
Archos G10 can use either Pixel Qi 1280x800 or 1920x1200 and I think that'd be more than enough."

I'm sure you could tell the difference between the new iPad & the iPad 2;) true alot of consumers not most can not tell the difference. Those consumers would get the iPad 2 for a hundred dollars less or the first iPad for even less. Previous users of the of the IPad 2 can tell the difference. If you could give consumers more time with the new & iPad 2 more could tell the difference.

I really hope the next Gen Archos has Pixel Qi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:31 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wavelength 405 wrote:
"Most consumers don't see a difference and don't think the new iPad display is worth paying $250 more than Archos G9 1.5Ghz:
Archos G10 can use either Pixel Qi 1280x800 or 1920x1200 and I think that'd be more than enough."

I'm sure you could tell the difference between the new iPad & the iPad 2;) true alot of consumers not most can not tell the difference. Those consumers would get the iPad 2 for a hundred dollars less or the first iPad for even less. Previous users of the of the IPad 2 can tell the difference. If you could give consumers more time with the new & iPad 2 more could tell the difference.

Most people exiting the Apple store after buying the iPad3 didn't see a difference! That's in the linked video! Most iPad3 buyers already had the iPad1 or iPad2, yet they think the iPad2 looks better than the iPad3!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:05 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

With regard to the Apple product - the issue with Apple, now and forever, is ability to play the video you want, when you want, in the format you want. Apple's iPad or iPhone don't have even half of the mainstream codec support that Archos provides. That's why I also go for Archos first, if they are remotedly competitive otherwise.

With regard to the Samsung Player 5.0 - it looks pretty good, actually, though the processor is a generation behind. Maybe the next one will be a worthwhile Archos replacement. However, though I see that it supports .mkv (which is huge for me) I have not found any reviews of its video performance, especially not in comparison to the gold standard Archos device.

Still, I will keep an eye on this product's next iteration.