Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:49 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 610 Next
PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:29 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi Allen,

I do not think our wiki will lead to eBlood... it is not like we have a article on Scientology or Ronald Reagan or anything (it's a device wiki!), but I suppose anything is possible (e.g., down with your stated pixels at hand, you lie only to corrupt!?!?)

Right now, I am just so happy to see the engagement of so many people right now over on the wiki... I can only hope that energy carries us forward. Indeed, the amount of recent changes put forth by Archos has lit some of the fires (i.e., creation of some new articles), we all just have to care enough to keep it going. And it helps not to have that spam around anymore too!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:39 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Some days ago I made the Archos 9 page!:D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

_

I've never had anything to do with the Wiki, so far, but I had a look today, and can see that it's a good start. Thanks to everyone who puts in the effort to contribute. It's easy (for a lurker like me) to sit on the sidelines and pass comment, so I didn't.

I checked out the "Discussions" page on a couple of items, but there wasn't anything yet. So I put something in there.

I was going to repeat what I said here, but that would defeat the point. I'd like to encourage the use of the Discussions Pages, so can I ask you to check out the Discussions on the 2 ADHoc entries.

Thanks.

EDIT: Oh, by the way, I edited the titles of the two "Bluetooth tethering" items. Is that ok?

_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:30 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

nopantts wrote:
EDIT: Oh, by the way, I edited the titles of the two "Bluetooth tethering" items. Is that ok?
Yeah, but you just changed what the link says... and it looks like you killed the referenced page/link... I'll try to fix.

EDIT: done.

Quick note: you (or anyone) can change whatever the link reads, but the article (the physical) address of the existing page needs to be honored, otherwise the link leads nowhere. So in this example, the wikicode for the links should be:
Quote:
*[[Bluetooth tethering phones tested to work|Bluetooth tethering - Phones tested to work]]
*[[How to get Bluetooth tethering to work|Bluetooth tethering - How to]]

and not
Quote:
*[[Bluetooth tethering - Phones tested to work]]
*[[Bluetooth tethering - How to]]

Of course the latter could work, if you changed the name of the "article," created the necessary redirect pages, and/or checked and correct what already links to the previously named page.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:13 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

_

Thanks. Glad I asked. Also glad I did it, otherwise I'd never have learned.

Duh, I turned my html brain off (I seem to have turned off a lot of my brain recently, since playing with the A5A).

_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:07 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

buster8079 wrote:
nopantts wrote:
Yeah, but you just changed what the link says... and it looks like you killed the referenced page/link... I'll try to fix.

EDIT: done.

Quick note: you (or anyone) can change whatever the link reads, but the article (the physical) address of the existing page needs to be honored, otherwise the link leads nowhere. So in this example, the wikicode for the links should be:
Quote:
*[[Bluetooth tethering phones tested to work|Bluetooth tethering - Phones tested to work]]
*[[How to get Bluetooth tethering to work|Bluetooth tethering - How to]]

and not
Quote:
*[[Bluetooth tethering - Phones tested to work]]
*[[Bluetooth tethering - How to]]

Of course the latter could work, if you changed the name of the "article," created the necessary redirect pages, and/or checked and correct what already links to the previously named page.

And again thanks. I promise I won't change anything else. I checked out the link to "Editing" - My God what a complicated business. It's easier to design websites.

In the case of the changes I made above, of course, you're right - I should have followed through.The titles of the articles themselves need to match the TOC name - there's nothing worse than clicking on a named link only to arrive at a page with a diferent name. What you've done is too complicated, and unnecessary if the pages were titled correctly to match.

However, all that stuff about "creating the necessary redirect pages" is too much, and where are these links anyway?

I don't know the wiki special syntax, but I assume the presence of the brackets in the section edit page means "link to a page of the same name?".

Thanks again for the timely warning. Again I'm beginning to dip my toe into waters where I don't really want to swim.

I just wanted to post some info, not design web pages.

(Back to lurking).

_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:16 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Nopantts... edit away. You cannot break the wiki. .. if something like a link goes a wry, someone else can always fix it as was this case... focus on content, other will make sure it is pretty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:09 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

_

Thanks buster. I've installed a (Tiki) Wiki on my own website, so I can play with it, to my heart's content, and learn the ins and outs.

A safe way of learning, I think.

Watch this space.

_

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:46 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

sorry if this has already been talked about else where, but anyone else think it would be a good idea to start doing wiki's for the attachments and what not? like, do a more detailed wiki write up on what the mini dock does and how to use it.

And the other thing I really want to do is start adding pictures to the wiki. They dont have to be super high res pictures or anything, just something to show what it is.

archos has a limited set of stock photo's and there only seems to be a handful or less of decent pictures on the web of the a5a. and they all seem to be the same stock photo.

I've got some good photo's and info about the mini dock, and hope to do the same for the DVR station and GPS car mount soon. I can also take some good photo's of the A5A itself as well. tho, someone else will have to take pictures of their flash model considering mine is a 500gb unit.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi atomicmecha,

Welcome to the "We Want Wiki Images" club!

Allen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:30 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
Hi atomicmecha,

Welcome to the "We Want Wiki Images" club!

Allen

Place your vote, let freedom ring! viewtopic.php?f=47&t=31362

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:01 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

nopantts wrote:
Thanks buster. I've installed a (Tiki) Wiki on my own website, so I can play with it, to my heart's content, and learn the ins and outs.

A safe way of learning, I think.
you could always learn by editing up your userspace as a testing grounds, no casual reader will notice (or be affected by) that... http://wiki.archosfans.com/index.php?ti ... r:Nopantts as in most things computer-related, copy/paste, previous models, and trail/error are all your friends. Our wiki is based on mediawiki software, which is the same as wikipedia. In other words, if you see some kind of formating you like in wikipedia, there is a good chance you can lift it and "apply" it to the archosfans wiki!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Where can we add files to d/l (for instance Archos 9 BIOS ROMs) to the wiki page?

Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:41 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

thisgottawork wrote:
Where can we add files to d/l (for instance Archos 9 BIOS ROMs) to the wiki page?

Thank you

How about a link on the Archos 9 - PC Tablet page, click: Here

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks, sure a link, I had thought about that but where to link to? I don't know where I should put the ROMs files, and don't expect Archos to put old ROM versions on their ftp site... Shouldn't we have a common ftp site somewhere for stuff Archos or any other company will not support?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:34 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You'll need to find an Archos 9 fan who's happy to host them on their site. That's what happened with the A5 IT, for example.

Michael

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

As a newbie to the Archos line, I found the wiki amazingly helpful. I added a note about successfully tethering on the i920 (via Verizon) using wmwifirouter. Hope I did it right.

Thanks for putting this together. =D>

Matt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:43 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Image uploads are now supported.

Sorry for the long delay.

I wanted to edit php.ini and do some security checks, but I guess hackers can't do much if filetypes to be uploaded are limited to jpg, png, gif and pdf...

Also, I was wondering if there are any risks of spam/pron uploaders not getting caught early enough, and a bit worried in case some leeching gets done on the server somehow by images being uploaded there are embedded somehow on some other popular websites. Uploads of copyrighted stuff such as wallpapers might also become a problem.

The best would be a username/password/profile integration with phpbb and wordpress with my upcoming forum/blog upgrade, including alo some better registration and anti-spam systems implemented in the forum at registration and to unlock new users to prevent spamming at first post. AllenPapapetrou might be able to help me with that.

Let's see if we can find phpbb plugins to better integrate the wiki when relevant in the forum, also I am planning to find a forum search plugin that also brings in search results in the forum from the wiki. To thus prevent too many duplicate newbie posts. Especially as millions more people are going to be buying Archos Android products as they become more and more popular.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:11 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thank you Charbax!!! =D> :D =D>

I've created a Help:Images page for our Wiki which provides you with instructions for uploading images and embedding them in Wiki Pages.

To go to the Help:Images page, click: Here

I also added my own Talk page with a brief bio and a photo, click: Here

Enjoy,

Allen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:11 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

_

Allen.

Thanks for the Help:Images page. You've reminded me to make an appointment with my optician.

I need to treat myself to new reading glasses.

[ I like the Indiana Jones look ].

_

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 610 Next