Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:43 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 10 Next
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:24 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Aloha obiwan22,

Your Wiki link is broken even though it goes to the Wiki's main page, and would you use the same theme for the 43 which Buster used for the A5A and I used for the 7HT?

Thanks,

Allen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:56 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I just signed up for the ArchosWiki. Some notes...

I cleaned up the categories so they make a hierarchy/tree. I created a root category called "Contents" after Wikipedia's root category name. http://wiki.archosfans.com/index.php?ti ... y:Contents

In the process I found there are a lot of spam pages which need to be deleted - they can easily be found via the "uncategorized pages" tool. http://wiki.archosfans.com/index.php?ti ... rizedPages

(Edit: I recategorized them: they can now be found under "Delete this page": http://wiki.archosfans.com/index.php?ti ... _this_page with other pages that were already marked as needing administrator attention.)

Someone replaced the content of a bunch of templates with the word "delete" nearly a year ago. If no one cares about those templates, they probably should be deleted. These can be found through the "unused templates" tool. http://wiki.archosfans.com/index.php?ti ... dTemplates

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have a archos 5 it 16gb i was messing around with it and i think i deleted something i was not to delet. Now i can't play my downloaded video's or watch big buck bunny. Please tell me how to correct this problem? Thanks :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:58 am 
Archos User
Archos User

doggies6044 wrote:
I have a archos 5 it 16gb i was messing around with it and i think i deleted something i was not to delet. Now i can't play my downloaded video's or watch big buck bunny. Please tell me how to correct this problem? Thanks :cry:

deleted what ? apk or just the amc widget ?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:17 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I updated the Archos 70 page on the wiki to start using the format from the A5 page as requested. http://wiki.archosfans.com/index.php?ti ... th_Android

In order to help all of us implementing this format across the 5 new Gen8 device pages, I made several templates:
  • {{Box/begin}} for the top of the page
  • {{Box/odd | Title goes here }} or {{Box/even | Title goes here }} for box/section headings with odd or even background colors
  • {{Box/end}} for the end of the page
  • {{Multicol begin}} to start a multicolumn section
  • {{Multicol end}} to finish a multicolumn section

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:00 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Whoever has admin privs on the wiki, be aware that the account EllwoodDewitz has been posting nothing but spam and should be blocked. I just blanked-out another new spam page and marked it for deletion. When there's a chance to look at it, there are a bunch of pages awaiting admin attention to be deleted.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:42 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

With the templates to make it easier, now all the Gen8 device pages on the ArchosFans Wiki now use the format recommended by AllenPapapetrou. http://wiki.archosfans.com/index.php?title=Generation_8

On the A43 page, where obiwan22 had already written a lot of material, I did a bit of rearranging to make it fit but tried to preserve his work.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:59 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

ikluft wrote:
Whoever has admin privs on the wiki
Charbax is the only one I believe, perhaps a PM to him her on these forums will get that user on the wiki banned or deleted?

Post subject: Where are you?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

It would be nice if the forum members add their location in the user control panel, that way we know:
  • Where are the units and accessories first available
  • No need to ask where somebody is from!
  • We can compare pricing with various retailers in different countries.

Post subject: Re: Where are you?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:36 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

skdutta wrote:
It would be nice if the forum members add their location in the user control panel, that way we know:
  • Where are the units and accessories first available
  • No need to ask where somebody is from!
  • We can compare pricing with various retailers in different countries.

Good idea! Just not relevant to a thread regarding the wiki.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:03 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I made a change to the {{Box/even}} and {{Box/odd}} templates. Since the section editing links were pointing to the templates, I removed the title parameter. So now they're {{Box/even}} and {{Box/odd}} without a title parameter. You have to add a title in the box text if you need one. I updated all the pages which use the templates. So this is just an FYI for new wiki pages, or new sections on existing wiki pages.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:34 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I like that a lot of the stuff has been reorganized but now the 43 links to a lot of Archos 5 info that is probably incorrect for the Gen 8 devices. We need similiar pages to the Archos 5 pages but that are specific to Gen 8.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:51 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello, My archos 70 it came today, on the wraping of the box there was no notification about updateing to froyo 2.2. Does that mean it comes with it already? i don't want to mess it up if it is already installed on it. Thanks for any input :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:15 am 
Archos User
Archos User

doggies6044 wrote:
Hello, My archos 70 it came today, on the wraping of the box there was no notification about updateing to froyo 2.2. Does that mean it comes with it already? i don't want to mess it up if it is already installed on it. Thanks for any input :roll:

While I don't want to sound unfriendly, this is the topic for discussion of the wiki site. (Quickly, you can check the version on the Settings menu -> About device ->Firmware version. Chances are new units will have 2.1 for a while since 2.2 just came out for over-the-air upgrade.) There is a separate forum for the A70. And 2.2 Froyo is in the general Gen8 forum. Let's all try to cooperate to keep things on-topic in each topic. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:19 am 
Archos User
Archos User

rap wrote:
I like that a lot of the stuff has been reorganized but now the 43 links to a lot of Archos 5 info that is probably incorrect for the Gen 8 devices. We need similiar pages to the Archos 5 pages but that are specific to Gen 8.

Yeah, we either need to split the pages between Gen7 and Gen8, or explicitly include both Gen7/Gen8 on each of those pages. It's a wiki so the same openness from the site maintainers that let me in applies to you too - feel free to add those clarifications.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:50 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

:D "Great work Allen !!" right! I have the same problem last day. I am agree,so i took great work allen again. Its works well. So
I think should be able to buy accessories there, including laptop power adapters. Make sure you order the proper adapter for your specific laptop model.

Last edited by Edmund on Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:31 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Aloha Y'all,

I'd like to clear something up here about me and our Wiki for any of you who might have misleading ideas about my role in developing our Wiki.

AFAIK buster8079 spent considerable effort in providing the Gen7 Archos 5 Internet Tablet pages in our Wiki with a really nice look and feel.

I give buster8079 all the credit for the style which I copied forward into our 7HT Wiki pages with little tweaks here and there. With the Gen8 Wiki pages we now have the opportunity to extend and refine the standards buster8079 started.

buster8079 did a great job for us =D> =D> =D>

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:40 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Thanks Allen for the kind words. But for the record, my work (as in all work) is simply a refined/revised version of existing work (which I found on the web elsewhere). Yeah, it took me a good deal of time (because it wasn't simply ctrl-c, ctrl-v), but I did not create it from nothing; I had a framework. So yeah, I am happy that the framework lives on, but I am simply a bridge to better things.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Gen 8 Wiki Pages:

I've started to review the Gen8 Wiki Pages and noticed a couple of things so far and thought I'd let you know of my intentions before I:
1. Change the background color to Greens to differentiate from the Gen7 (Yellows) and Home Tablets (Blues)
3 Dec 2010: Changed the background colors to green for Gen8 Pages. Noted Box templates are for Gen8 pages and need to create Box7 and BoxHT templates.
2. Add Categories to tablet specific pages: A28, A32, A43, A70, and A101
3 Dec 2010: Added Android Category to All Gen8 pages
3. Replace links for non-Gen8 pages with Gen8 pages such as "Bluetooth tethering phones..." an A5A page.
4. Add pages for: Before You Buy, Newbie Tips, Owner Reviews, etc.
5. Add links to our Wiki Glossary
6. Review and make specific Gen8 Page titles: Some A5A pages titles were created as if the A5A were the only device Archos would ever produce. For example consider these Page Titles:
    - A5A - List of Applications tested to work
    - 7HT - Archos 7HT List of Applications
Since duplicate page titles cannot exist a page title should include which Generation and/or Archos device the page refers to.

Our standards are arbitrary in that we are the ones who create them, and create them we must to improve the experience of all users of our Wiki.

New Wiki members note that each Wiki page has a "discussion" or "talk" page which allows us to comment on a page w/o changing the page.

I see forum discussions as lively, personal, rapidly changing, and filled with a lot of misinformation at times. Wiki pages, in contrast, are typically less animate and personal, slowly change, and have more accurate information.

Our Forums and Wiki have a natural interaction with each other:
1. Forum discussions often result in creation or changing of Wiki pages
2. Wiki pages often link to Forum topics.
3. Forum topics often link to Wiki pages.

We have a lot of new members here because of the Gen 8s. If any of you are interested in coordinating our efforts on the Gen8 Wiki pages please PM me with your Skype Id so we can talk and share screens.

Finally, I'll remind potential Wiki authors: We do not have a combined logon for the Forum and the Wiki. You must register to edit or create Wiki pages. You can make our lives a lot easier if your Forum and Wiki user names are as close to identical as possible. Note our Wiki forces an Uppercase first letter in the user name.

Thanks,

Allen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:25 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Picking up the point made by rap and ikluft, about distinguishing between Gen 8 and Gen 7 entries. with particular reference to "Applications tested to work". I wonder about the appropriateness of just linking to the A5IT list.

Maybe that list ought to be linked to (with a comment) as the first link on a Gen 8 page, followed by separate Gen 8 Eclair and Gen 8 Froyo lists?

Otherwise who knows what is going to run on which install?

More importantly, it might be an idea to remind non A5IT users of why this list came about. It was initially designed to be a place where users without access to the Market, could download FREE Market-only available apps. Other users with Market access could upload them somewhere for general download.

The thing which prompted me to consider this was, I read in a thread (with all the endless variations on the contents of the Froyo Market Hack) that one user seems to now not see z4root listed on the Market. So, as I did on the A5IT, I went to the Gen 8 Wiki to see if someone had yet uploaded z4root, and created an entry in the "Applications ..." list.

I was surprised to see the old A5IT list, and nothing at all specific to Gen 8, and Froyo in particular.

So it seems to me that a Froyo (and Eclair too maybe) specific list would be appropriate, with a single link to the old A5IT list for anyone who wants to try those apps too.

Or is the intention just to have one single Android list including apps which may or may not work on particular "flavours" of Andriod?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 10 Next