Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 11:34 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:12 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hi Sweety Pie,

Your concern about Apps is what I address in Point 3 of my post:
Quote:
3. Replace links for non-Gen8 pages with Gen8 pages such as "Bluetooth tethering phones..." an A5A page.

I first changed the background color of the Gen8 pages so that we know when a Gen8 page goes to a non-Gen8 page just by color. Then I added the Android Category to all the Gen8 pages.

ikluft did a nice job with the Box templates. But he failed to note and account for the background color change between the Gen7 and Home Tablet pages. So I changed his templates and commented that they were for Gen8 pages only. Also, no one working on the Gen8 pages realized that Archos produces devices other than Android and hence did not include the Android Category on their pages.

IMO, these oversights occur more easily when folks just go ahead and do it. I stepped in because of the messes they can create while they add really valuable content. Fortunately, for the most part the Wiki lends itself to easy updating.

As for "List of Applications tested to work":
I feel the intent of a Gen8 list needs to change from "tested to work" to just "Gen8 Applications". Where the list includes the 3rd Party Apps Archos distributes out of the box and the favorite Apps of our members. No way we need to list the 10s of thousand of Android Apps "tested to work". Also, the A5A list is only free w/DownLoad links. The 7HT list is free and paid with links to DownLoad the free and find the paid.

I'm promoting coordinating communication between major Gen8 Wiki contributors via Skype to facilitate our efforts. At this stage I've had very little response. My career in DP involved creation of a lot of SW infrastructure and that's still my orientation with projects like our Gen8 Wiki. As examples of infrastructure look at the Image and YT Video support which I provided to Charbax; the Box templates which ikluft provided; and the styling which buster8079 provided.

If you look at my list in the post just before yours you will see that. I've finished 1 and 2. Next up is item 3: "Replace links for non-Gen8 pages with Gen8 pages such as "Bluetooth tethering phones..." an A5A page." So I next delete all links on the Gen8 pages to Gen7 pages.

I do not currently support a single Android Apps List in the Wiki. The A5A stops at Android 1.6. The 7HT stops at Android 1.5. Within a couple of months all Gen8 will be running only Android 2.2. Other than following media vapor reports I have absolutely no interest in 2.3 and 3+ in the Wiki until they become real.

I do support an Android Apps Overview page which links to the A5A, 7HT, and Gen8 Apps pages.

Allen

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:44 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
Also, no one working on the Gen8 pages realized that Archos produces devices other than Android and hence did not include the Android Category on their pages.

Actually, I did. The thing to remember is that categories should be thought of as a hierarchy. So when I added the Generation 8 category under the Android category, they all got it by inclusion. It's unnecessary (and a waste of time) to continually add subcategories and subpages to the category again.

AllenPapapetrou wrote:
I'm promoting coordinating communication between major Gen8 Wiki contributors via Skype to facilitate our efforts. At this stage I've had very little response.

Generally wikis use less formal coordination among authors. The MediaWiki software's usage is also highly influenced by Wikipedia traditions of coordination via talk pages. Also, while I help around here to thank the community that has helped me, I view phone calls to coordinate the wiki as giving way too much time to a company I don't work for.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:45 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The idea of the wiki is a good one but when I went to check it out I was a little disappointed. At present I'm waiting for my 101 to arrive and when it does I'm going to want to update the unit right away. The problem is that a lot of the updates are themselves changing as time rolls on so it's hard for a new user like myself to be sure that he's loading the newest edition of the update. It seems that there are 3 'musts' for updating your new machine:
a. firmware
b. marketplace
c. apps like Zeam (some of which need something called a Market Fix so that you can seem them listed) Grin. No machine so I'm using my imagination here.

Is it possible that we could have an update section on the wiki where the newest and greatest of these updates (and any others I might have missed) would have links? That would make upgrading easy and less of a worry to new users like myself.
(BTW - the wiki is a great idea and a lot of work has already been put into it - I am in no way complaining about it. This is a suggestion only.)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:01 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

GordL wrote:
The idea of the wiki is a good one but when I went to check it out I was a little disappointed. At present I'm waiting for my 101 to arrive and when it does I'm going to want to update the unit right away. The problem is that a lot of the updates are themselves changing as time rolls on so it's hard for a new user like myself to be sure that he's loading the newest edition of the update. It seems that there are 3 'musts' for updating your new machine:
a. firmware
b. marketplace
c. apps like Zeam (some of which need something called a Market Fix so that you can seem them listed) Grin. No machine so I'm using my imagination here.

Is it possible that we could have an update section on the wiki where the newest and greatest of these updates (and any others I might have missed) would have links? That would make upgrading easy and less of a worry to new users like myself.
(BTW - the wiki is a great idea and a lot of work has already been put into it - I am in no way complaining about it. This is a suggestion only.)
If you can a scratch, itch it. That's how the wiki grew to what it is... sounds like you need to "document" your learning process on this wiki as others have done to some extent prior. The wiki is a great idea, it can be your idea. Sign up, click edit and get to work. If you put something wrong on there, hopefully someone will correct you!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

That's a good idea but I've never used the android OS - the 101 will be my first foray into this system and I'd be a little worried about posting wrong info. However, you make a valid point, once I get mine set up and working well - I'll take a crack at updating the wiki. I'm sure others will correct me if I stray.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:40 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I need so much help with my archos 7 home tablet, i want to get pandora on it, i want to be able to watch youtube videos or any videos.
and to be able to download cool apps even if its from my computer!! pleaseee help!
and i want to be able to download movies to it!! if someone can please help on on at least one of these topics thank you soooosoomuch.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:44 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

raelissa wrote:
I need so much help with my archos 7 home tablet, i want to get pandora on it, i want to be able to watch youtube videos or any videos.
and to be able to download cool apps even if its from my computer!! pleaseee help!
and i want to be able to download movies to it!! if someone can please help on on at least one of these topics thank you soooosoomuch.

My best advice would be for you to try this forum instead viewforum.php?f=59

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:55 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks Charbox!!!! nicely organized. I wasn't sure I could get more confused on putting the ARCHOS info together, so this wiki link REALLY helps. http://wiki.archosfans.com

Just picked up a 605WIFI as I am soon to be losing my best job ever, will be taking a big paycut for a long time. so rather than get the IPHONE a and pay for Data plan monthly and TIVO too or pay for CABLE and DVR, have looked for cheaper options.

Saw the Archos 5 and picked up a used one of those too now. Waiting to get both next week, at the same time. probably give up one.

looking at this TV+ but it looks like Archos hasn't made the flash 9 and 10 updates thru out the "older" models, so will probably stop buying Archos products.

Love the forum. I will keep digging :lol:

Patti
Denton, TX

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:06 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have deleted posts by: hbsdaddy, buster8079, and unionpac2004 because op from hbsdaddy was way off topic and the subsequent posts confused the issue.

Allen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:00 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Better install a Captcha extension in the wiki, a lot of spam pages in "recent changes"...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:48 am 
Archos User
Archos User

avel wrote:
Better install a Captcha extension in the wiki, a lot of spam pages in "recent changes"...

Yeah, do something. I gave up trying to help remove spam manually.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:51 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am just added some stuff too, will keep adding as time goes on.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:51 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I added Gen8 A101 Kickstand issues to the wiki.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:29 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Please could you create on the main page a link to this product ?
http://wiki.archosfans.com/index.php?title=Archos_Key

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:14 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Next to the already existing page Dump your Home Tablet rom and create a custom rom, I wrote an another wiki page Example script for custom rom. I use scripts to build my custom roms. I used one of these scripts to explain how to build a custom rom. It's aimed at the Home Tablets, but I assume it will work the same for the Arnova's as long as they are Rockchip 2818 devices.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:09 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi All,

The ARCHOS 101 is a wonderful piece of equipment. I think it is a leading competitor for the IPADS.

The GOOD:
- Large 10" screen
- Light weight
- Lots of Apps
- serves as Internet tablet
- doubles up as an e-reader
- Play Chess, Scrabbles, etc
THE BAD
- poor quality webcam
- I can't get FRING to work

Last edited by mandbjoseph on Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 1:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

i am thinking about buying the 3.2 and i was wondering if i can get pandora app for free thats the main reason i want to buy it :)
any info would be great

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 6:27 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

des18 wrote:
i am thinking about buying the 3.2 and i was wondering if i can get pandora app for free thats the main reason i want to buy it :)
any info would be great

The free Pandora app runs great on the 32. You can do one of the market hacks to get the android market on your tab, and download Pandora app from there.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:48 am 
Archos User
Archos User

What happened to the wiki page?

There is nothing today there.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:49 am 
Archos User
Archos User

chem631 wrote:
What happened to the wiki page?

There is nothing today there.

It was vandalized. I reverted it. But remember it's a wiki - you can do that too.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 198 posts ]  Go to page Previous 16 7 8 9 10 Next