Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:38 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

AV500 Can I rescue deleted items?
I have just accidently deleted some Live recorded .wav files.
I thought I had copied them over to my pc and deleted them off the AV500
I was connected to my pc via USB and I presumed they would go to trash on the PC. I was wrong and I feel like a right wally.
can anyone tell me if it is possible to rescue these files? Is there a holding trash or are they history?
Thanke H

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:40 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Whatever you do, do not write anything else to the drive. It should be perfectly possible to undelete the files providing you have not written over the deleted area yet. There are many recovery programs available, some free. It is worth trying a few since success can vary according to the various ways they go about undeleting. I have found Restoration to be a useful free program, GetDataBack (you will need the FAT version) more sucessful as a paid program.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:00 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi Fredc, thanks to your suggestion to use Restoration I have got my files back. =D>
Frustratingly though, they won't play :?:
They appear to be the original size about 1gb and are .WAV Wave Sound
The names have changed from:REC0020 to $EC0020 So I renamed but still none of my media players will play the audio.
Any suggestions?
H

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:24 am 
Archos User
Archos User

If they are the right size it sounds like maybe the header code describing the size, start or stop points is corrupted. I would try an editor or converter, again different programs will have different sucess rates depending on just how close to a wave file the digital header info is. A free wave editor is Audacity, try the IMPORT RAW function then save as wave. Otherwise here is another free program to try
http://www.railjonrogut.com/WAV%20Saver.htm

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi Fredic, Again you where spot on with your analysis and I got some results from Audioacity.
My audio recordings are over an hour long and some sections with very low volume have been retrieved clean but once the band starts up there is an incredible amount of Noise around the audio, obliterating it. (not from audio clipping but like a white noise overlay) Tried "reduce noise" but it just reduces overall volume.
Unless there's anything more you can suggest, it looks like these files are too corrupted to save now.
Hey, live and learn.

I had no joy with Wavesaver.
Thanks very much for your advice and I have learned a lot.
Cheers H

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:20 am 
Archos User
Archos User

It sounds like the actual waveform is corrupted by random digits, you can't really do anything else when that happens except cut the bits out. Bad luck.