Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:57 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:12 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi

I have a Av500 30gb for years and always worked fine - recently the jack on the end of the Cable has been going wrong and would only charge if I held the jack over while Plugged in . I have now fixed that by resoldering the Jack on the Cable .

However the Devise when Plugged in via Mains, usb, sola charger -etc the Green on light looks like it's On but actually if you look closely is flickering very fast . and after a while go's out - no other lights come on and when i hold the Power button Nothing happens , off button also nothing .

Does anyone know if this is a bad battery (still original maybe 10years old) is knackered and need replacing or maybe another fault - as I do not want to buy a New Battery and find it's something else . (at last use 2 months ago the battery would last 2-3 hrs on full charge) .
Is there any way to test the battery ( I have a bulb Continuity tester, a Bulb tester for cars up to 12v, and muti type Battery testers aa,aaa, c-cell, d-cell, etc)

Does anyone Know what terminals on the Battery or on the device is the positive and Negative as 5 small brass contacts to test . then maybe I can jury-rig a external battery via wires to test the device or test the battery .
Or if anyone know whats going on that would be great .
Thanks mark

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:20 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Lithium Ion batteries only have a shelf life of a couple of years for full capacity, after 10 years I would expect them to be pretty useless even with little use. I only have the 100G version which has a different battery but the 5 contacts.

If I remove the battery contact side up, so the contact block is on the left of the battery, then I get +3.9V off load from the top contact to the one next down and also from top contact to the middle contact. The 2 bottom contact have no voltage compared to all other contacts. So the top is positive, the next 2 down are ground in parallel, and the bottom 2 are open circuit.

I have no way of knowing if the 30G version has the same arrangement, you would think so if the connectors are the same, but you would have to test at your own risk and hope archos have built in a reverse connection diode for protection if not the same connections.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

thanks for that Fredc

i will test it a Bit later - but that helps Knowing which are which ( hopefully the Same) with the 30GB version i should imagine so just harddrive slightly larger .

cheers Mark