Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:36 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi
I have connected my av500 to my pc over 100 times but now the pc does not respond when its connected. Mobile phone and camera still being picked up by pc, but not the av500. The pc does ask me if i want to format the drive(archos) Any idea's?
Ray D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:31 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

This has been posted a while ago for people who had the same problem as you, it helped for me.

Guys, after intensively searching the net for a solution to a problem a number of us (including me) experienced where the AV500 stops being recognised properly by Windows, I'm elated to report that I have found a 100% effective and very easy solution, which has just worked for me, and I'm now able to access the device properly again, without having lost any data!

Go here: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
and download a free utility called TestDisk (I downloaded the latest NON-beta version). It's a zipped file, just extract all files to a folder of your choice leaving the option "Use folder names" checked. Then, go to the folder where you unzipped the files, go to the Win folder, and run the testdisk-win.exe file. It runs in a DOS window, even though it says it's a Windows app, but it doesn't really matter at all.

Another note, and just to recap, the problem I was having is that Windows (XP SP2) stopped recognising my device properly. It would show up as a removable drive with a letter assgined to it under Explorer or My Computer, but when double clicking on it, I'd get a message "The drive (letter) is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?". CHKDSK utility under DOS reported the drive was in RAW format, and unsupported. So, I can vouch that if you're having the EXACT same problem, the following procedure will work, otherwise, if your problem is different, use at your own risk, or contact the maker of the software direct for advice, he was very quick in replying to me, and extremely helpful!

So, start the app (you must run it with administrator privileges), wait for it to recognise all the drives, it will take 5-15 seconds. Choose the AV500 drive. Confirm Intel/PC partition. Analyse it. Proceed. Enter to continue. Write on the next menu. Confirm. Quit the app. Disconnect USB cable from the device following the safe hardware removal procedure. Reboot your pc. Re-connect the device and it should be properly recognised, and the whole thing doesn't take longer than a couple of seconds!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:34 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I would say that if you have everything that is inside of your Archos... Backed up in your pc or somewhere else...
Then Format the AV500...

IT happened to me BUT you do want to format it the right way...

So if your archos still able to turn on... then you go to Settings ---> System...

And hold down press the key at the bottom of the device (the arrow down of the menu keys...)

It will appear a "Format Drive" as an option.. and then you go and let it format itself...

This is the best way....

But if you are not able to turn on your av500 then plug it in your pc and format it from there....

Good Luck... talk back

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:13 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi

Thank you for replying, Firstly if i decide to format the av500 should i do it via the pc or directly on the av500 and does the operating software stay on or get deleted.
By simply formatting, will the av500 then work normally and operate with the pc.
many thanks
Ray D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:26 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

By formating from the Archos... the operating system stays in the archos itself... and the current firmware version too...

That was what solve the same problem you have for me...

It was recognizeable by the pc again... and its all good now...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you for your help, formatted as you suggested and the av500 is working fine now and working with the pc.
Many Thanks
RayD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:55 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

You are welcome... if you have other questions we will be pleased to answer them...
enjoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Just thought i'd let you know, IT'S HAPPENED AGAIN.
Pc asking if i want to format or not.
Looks like formatting and reloading all over again, unless any other ideas.
Many Thanks
RayD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:14 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

It havent happened to me after the first time.... I guess you could do it all over again... and run
windows CheckDisk... BUT in the user manual, they say that they dont support this action....

Anyway your problem could be some scratch in the hard drive disk surface or something like that......

I would still do the Archos formating thing... and download the latest firmware for it...

Sorry this does not help as much as I thought... but if i find anything else i will let you know

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:33 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The little procedure from Woutheye worked fine for me. :)

cheers

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

PLEASE HELP!! :( I have connected my AV500 hundreds of times to my computer but it is no longer recognising the device. It comes up as Found New Hardware but then wants to connect to Hardware Wizard and asks to put in disc that came with device - there isn't one!. When I cancel the Wizard, I then get a message saying Found New Hardware - A problem occurred during hardware installation - your new hardware might not work properly. Then, when I go into My Computer, the AV500 is not shown. I tried to run the Testdisk but did not know how to run it with administrator privileges so I had to abort that. In desperation I then formatted the Archos (losing all my photos, videos and music as I could not back it up due to being unable to connect it to my computer!) but this has still not worked. I am still getting the same messages - New Device Found - AV500, followed by Found New Hardware - A problem occurred during hardware installation - your new hardware might not work properly. I would be grateful for any suggestions please.