Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The simplest way of putting movies on to your Archos is to connect it to a DVD player, VCR, Freeview Box, Sky box or Virgin cable box and use the Archos "record" feature to record a film that's showing. That way you are guaranteed to be able to watch it on your Archos.

There are often films on TV late at night that you don't want to stay up and watch live (and the Archos has a scheduling feature that means you don't have to stay up to record it either). And friends often have videos or DVDs that you haven't seen - why not borrow them to copy them?

It is possible (though dubious legally) to download films for free from the internet using P2P (peer-to-peer) file sharing systems such as Bittorrent, but I think you'll find the more direct method simpler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I too am a grandfather, so know how you are feeling with all the new technology out there, I have had my AV 560 now for a couple of years, and while not an expert, am fairly competent with it. I copy DVD's using IMTOO DVD to MP4 converter4, you may have to pay for this but I have used my sons registration number and it works fine.
As another contributor has said you can download movies from the net, sites such as Limewire for instance are out there but, are a bit suspect legally. I have also got a 3 months free trial from www.lovefilm.com they send me 3 DVDs at a time, with free postage, well worth a look.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The questionable-legally way is to download from p2p movies with file extension of .AVI like you said...

What I do is put them into the av500 and if it does not show the thumbnail of the file then it does not play it... so i delete from the player and proceed to convert in my computer....

If you have PocketDivxEncoder you can see whats wrong with the file that is not playing in your Archos... when you click info it tells you what part is not right (i.e. Audio Encoding is not mp3 or wav)

So download the free www.pocketdivxencoder.net and learn how to use it and convert your files to your archos.... avi files

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:24 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hiya poshpony,

I agree with what BUC says about downloading from p2p for the latest tv shows and movies but also if you're like me you may also want to convert some of your DVD collection to your archos player...

The best programs to do this are pocketdivx encoder but for me the best is undoubtedly "ImTOO DVD Ripper Platinum" which will rip any movie or other DVD disc to the correct size in the quality you prefer and can even add sound and bass if the dvd is automatically low on sound....

Hope this helps )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:28 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

If you really must use Limewire, and of course I couldn't possibly encourage you to do so, in the video search option type in the title section axxo, fxm or fxg, these guys generally have excellent quality films for downloading, or so I have been told!