Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:39 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I am interested in buying this 70b Honeycomb internet tablet, especially for travelling when I might not always have wifi access. Can I use it to transfer files from a USB thumb drive or photos from a camera using a usb cable to the tablet and also for transferring files from the tablet to a thumb drive?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:24 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Out of the box the A70b will not do what you ask.

With the supplied USB cable the A70b will be a slave device (just like a mouse, thumb drive, camera, etc) and needs to be plugged into a host (master) device which is usually a PC. Slave devices usually get their power from the host.

That said, you can buy a "USB On-The-Go" cable adapter that allows the A70b to switch into host mode. I have one of these and can report success attaching mice and keyboards. I have not been able to get any thumb drives to work (although other people have), the reason being that the A70b will only supply 100mA of power and most USB devices require more than that.

Probably the best solution (if you don't have access to a PC/laptop) is to buy a powered USB hub. I'm guessing you will still need to buy an OTG cable (which can sometimes be difficut to find).

ebuyer.com sells powered hubs for less than £10 - In fact, they're so cheap I think I'll buy one myself. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:17 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks so much Colin! I'll look into that and decide if it will be easier to look for a miniature laptop.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:30 am 
Archos User
Archos User

FYI

I plugged my Canon camera into my A70b using the OTG cable and it worked fine. The Gallery app opened automatically and I was able to browse the pictures or import them to the Archos.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:11 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks again Colin!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:08 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

ColinTaylor wrote:
...you can buy a "USB On-The-Go" cable adapter that allows the A70b to switch into host mode. I have one of these and can report success attaching mice and keyboards. I have not been able to get any thumb drives to work (although other people have), the reason being that the A70b will only supply 100mA of power and most USB devices require more than that.

There seems to be something else going on beyond just power limitations because I own 3 Archos devices (actually more, but won't get into it here)... a 70b (with Honeycomb), an 80 G9, and a 101 G9. And, I also have about half a dozen different USB Thumb Drives from various manufacturers.

I have noticed that the 70b does seem to be much more nit picky, but also does not like to connect to a USB Thumb Drive (via an OTG cable to the microUSB port) if a microSDHC card is also already plugged into the device. Almost seems like you can only use one or the other at a time. I think the "mass storage device" drivers may simply not be set up to work with both at the same time.

Oddly though, I can plug in a USB mouse and it does seem to work with a micro SDHC card plugged in.

And, between all 3 of my Archos tablets... what's really confusing is that sometimes my older Thumb Drives (that need more power) work on one or another, while my newer (lower power) Thumb Drives still do not work on all of them. So, it seems to be hit and miss kind of situation to find any USB Thumb Drive from any specific manufacturer that works with the Archos tablets.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:21 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Just as a further update of my previous comments...

Today I tried connecting (via USB Host cable) a USB thumb drive that I "thought" worked before on my 70b (with Honeycomb, don't know why/how/where people still are getting the old ones that Archos hasn't sold in over a year now with Froyo)... Anyway...

Above I had mentioned that it did not seem to work with a microSD card plugged in, but then later I seemed to remember having actually had one work.

So, tried one that I "thought" had worked today, but it just popped up a notification about being safe to remove...

I unplugged the USB cable, but left the microSDHC card in (because it takes way to long to re-index all the music and video files on it) and had the tablet totally shut down and turn off.

After it got started back up (which also takes way to long)... Then I found that several of my USB thumb drives would actually work OK. However, there were still other ones that would not. Nor would my microSD card to USB adapter work either (which would be far more useful for my uses).

Anyway, I'm happy that at least some of my USB thumb drives will work while a microSD card is also still plugged in!

Still sucks though that it is only through "trial and error" and sometimes needing to reboot the tablet to find out just what does and does not work. But, then again, my Windows XP computer gets stupid about things and needs to be restarted sometimes for things to work also. So, just who can we blame for these problems?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:27 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

No idea why Archos keeps trying to make such a mess of things, but now they're selling the GamePad and releasing the 80XS both with Jelly Bean to start with (and neither of them works right either).