Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:12 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Extremely Slow Boot-up
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:20 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Yo yo yo, my boot up time is like 1 min 45 sec's. Did a search but couldn't find anything on this subject. I've had this thing for 1 year and it always works nearly flawlessly (one of the lucky ones). My boot-up time has gone through the roof though. I've tried the obvious fixes with cleaning apps and controlling what progs boot-up but it remains very slow. Wasn't like this when I first got it. My last resort is to go into recovery and do a complete wipe and then re-install my firmware (most recent 3281 - was also slow with 3280). Just thought I'd ask if anyone has any other ideas.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:56 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I've just timed mine.

From a completely powered off state: Press power button once and wait for lock screen to appear = 1m 40s

It's always taken that long.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:02 am 
Archos User
Archos User

ColinTaylor wrote:
I've just timed mine.

From a completely powered off state: Press power button once and wait for lock screen to appear = 1m 40s

It's always taken that long.

Freak me. I just don't recall it taking that long last year when I got it. My ancient 5it takes less than a min and my 80G9 takes 35 seconds. After a whole year I'm really tempted to wipe it clean and re-install the firm and see what happs. What could it hurt?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:13 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Well I can't remember whether or not it was faster a year ago but the only services that appear to load on startup are:

Online Firmware Update
Maps
Google Play Store
Google Services
Email

So I wouldn't be surprised if the newer versions of the Google [email protected] is slower than the old.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:11 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

I know this is a rather old thread, but just wanted to add my own comments for others...

I have a 70b (with Honeycomb), and since it has only a single core 1.2GHz CPU it has always been slow (compared to other higher end devices), but...

As for the boot up time, that varies greatly (even on higher end dual-core CPU Android devices) due to several things.

First off, the more apps you install the more it has to sort through when it starts up (because far too many apps want to automatically load on boot... same problem eve with Windows computers by the way).

Second, (and as mentioned), Google's own updates keep adding more and more CRAP that nobody really needs/wants, but yet Google requires absolutely must load on start up.

Third, (and even worse than Google's own CRAP updates) is the app developers themselves that seem to think that THEIR own app absolutely must start up and 'phone home' right away. For example, I had one racing game that would periodically just have to pop up a notifications saying I've left my car in the garage to long and it's starting to rust out... SHEEZE, who the hell wants that kind of crap when you start up your tablet (much less at ANY other time for that matter).

My own suggestions are... check if there is any setting options within an app to TURN OFF any/all stupid unnecessary background features. Likewise, do NOT ever install/use any Widget that you do not absolutely need (Widgets virtually always do things in the background and therefor must load at boot time).

Even if you try to keep things as clean and lean as you can... heck, a 70b (with Honeycomb) still takes almost a minuted and a half to start up (WITHOUT any other extra apps installed). Remember, these things only have a SINGLE CORE CPU, and as such are slow and sluggish (compared to dual-core CPU devices, which also slow down depending what is installed/setup on them... which is why things have now moved to guad-core CPU's and even 2Gig RAM, but that's mostly just so that Google's own CRAP can even load and run).

[HINT: Google does NOT want you to do anything that they do not know about and ONLY WANT YOU to do what THEY WANT YOU TO. Google is getting worse that Apple, and hate to say it even worse than Microsoft. Never liked Apple's ecosystem, and have always hated Microsoft, but come on now... Google's Android is going far above and beyond anything I'm willing to put up with now. Might just have to change to Windows devices shortly... after all, Microsoft already knows everything I've ever done on my computers for the last 20 years... just read any of the EULA's you had to agree to to install/run anything on a Windows computer. I don't see why I should give Google MORE than what I've already given the dirt bag scum at Microsoft already!!!]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:38 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

I rooted this little rat the Letama way yesterday (I wanted to use some root only apps and be able to lose or freeze some Google junk). Uninstalled and left only my most valued apps and used a utility to cut booting apps to a minimum. My boot-up time has increased to 2 minutes and 15 seconds!

FREAK ME!

Crazy thing is, I just got an LG Showtime from Straight Talk and it has the exact same single core Arm 7 CPU that is on the 70b but the phone is only 1.0 Ghz instead of 1.2 yet its much faster with a lighting fast boot up and with ICS no less! Freak Me again!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:49 am 
Archos User
Archos User

Well, I wiped it clean and then decided to re-do the Letama sde and root (changed my mind about rooting it) and with all my apps installed it runs much quicker and boots up in 53 seconds. Using Rom Toolbox to change the cpu gov to "Interactive" made a big diff in the snappiness and the new tools in the new version of Lucky Patcher are quite impressive. Feels like it has new life now, as long as I don't jack with the internals too much.