Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:39 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Odd HDD write issue
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:07 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi all,

I've got a weird problem with my 70b 250Gb (froyo 2.2 version). I wonder if anyone can help.

This morning, it suddenly stopped being able to write to the HDD from apps, as far as I can tell. Reading is fine, and when connected via USB I can copy files onto the device with no problem. Playing music and video works just fine, and most apps work well (browsing, twitter, Myth Defence) - but the ones which save data to the device are failing, such as Evernote, which fails to sync with a database write error, and Aldiko which has seemingly disappeared completely from my device as far as the launcher is concerned. In addition, I can't seem to install updates from the marketplace - they download just fine, but fail to install.

I did notice that the marketplace (Google Play) seems different today, don't know if that's anything to do with it, or just a coincidence - I assume it updated itself at some point without me noticing.

My rough diagnosis is that it's not writing to the app "bit" of the device - maybe it's not the hard disk but the internal memory that it can't write to?

Anyway, anyone got any ideas as to how to fix it? Doesn't seem like an HDD failure so I'm hoping this is something fixable

Maybe it overheard me ask for a Nexus 7 for Christmas and is sulking now?!

Post subject: Re: Odd HDD write issue
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:27 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So the problem is that /mnt/storage is mounted read-only, but I have no idea how this can suddenly happen and without root access I can't fix it...

Weirdly it's writable when accessing via USB, not quite sure how that works.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:09 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

quaryon wrote:
I've got a weird problem with my 70b 250Gb (froyo 2.2 version). I wonder if anyone can help.

Sorry I can't help you, but then again you posted you question in the 70b (Honeycomb) instead of where it should be.

Really sucks that Archos makes so many products with different hardware and firmware, but still uses the same model name for them!

The Android Froyo 70b is a Gen8 device, but Archos lists all devices that came with Android Honeycomb as being Gen9 devices (including the 70b models that have Homeycomb). I really do not know why the moderators of this forum have this section for the Honeycomb 70b in the Gen8 section instead of the Gen9 section, but then again these devices are old and obsolete and have not had ANY firmware upgrades in such a long time that they really do not fit in with the 80 and 101 G9 devices either.

To further complicate and confuse people, Archos also made 70 e-book readers. Why Archos is so idiotic about things and keeps confusing people with their products I really do not understand. Even the REAL G9 devices were made with various hardware in them, but yet sold all with the exact same product name!

In all honesty, I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND any Archos product to anyone unless they know a lot about computers and electronic devices and how to deal with all the freaky non-sense that Archos does with things. They are what they are, and that is cheap devices, often poorly assembled, with rather poor implementations of the Android operating system. People that buy Archos products really need to know a lot of stuff to be able to even use them.

Need I mention how Archos totally bricked a bunch of the 80 G9 tablets with one of their own over the air upgrades a month or so back? At least don't have to worry about that with an Archos 70b because Archos quit making any new firmware for these things a long time ago LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:32 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
Sorry I can't help you, but then again you posted you question in the 70b (Honeycomb) instead of where it should be.

No, I posted it in the "Archos 70b Internet Tablet" section. It's an Archos 70b Internet Tablet, it says so on the front... it just happens to be an oddity in that they released a small handful of 70b tablets with Froyo before moving on to the majority which have Honeycomb :)

I previously had an Archos 70 Tablet, which also had Froyo - I got this 70b as a replacement when the 70's HDD died.