Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

A negative reviewer on Amazon said "There is a Sd card slot but,the system cannot read it.
So, you cannot expand the memory." What does that mean? Is he mistaken? What are the implications for this product?

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3GH78418G ... hisHelpful

Is he full of hooey, or is there some truth(and if so, what does it mean for usage)?

Please explain this? I'm looking at purchasing one.

Also, how many hours do you usually get out of yours if surfing? Or just using it for an E-reader..?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:40 pm 

I only have the old 70a model, which is my favorite of all my tablets although it has an aging version of android. I'd guess the confused reviewer found some apps that dont talk to the sdcard which was probably relocated in the new version of android. Then you either find an obscure option to redirect it, or try a similar app that can.

My 70a battery lasts forever and charges fast, but the b model seems to have higher resolution that should consume power faster. I use it for music streaming, videos, simple games, and light web surfing. When the review said not all apps available, that may be a case where google blocked some out of excess caution. Get those elsewhere and they often work.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:41 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I think the Amazon reviewer either has a faulty unit or hasn't inserted the card properly.

The 70b has a standard micro-sd card slot which appears as a separate drive. Apps can only be installed on the internal memory but I've not found that a problem. If you run short of internal memory just move all your videos/music/pictures to an external memory card.

I must say that the micro-sd socket is really fiddly and it's very easy to think that you've inserted the card properly when you haven't.

Another reviewer said that you can only read, not write to the sd card. Obviously not true.

I find that turning the screen brightness down to 50% can save a lot of battery power and reduces eye strain.