Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:03 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:45 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello all,

I have recently bought an Archos 15b 4GB for my Nan for Christmas (her CD player is broken).

Anyway, while putting some songs on there for her (via Media Monkey), several albums don't appear in the "Albums" list. However, on closer inspection of one of the albums, all the missing tracks all appear to be located here. On the file system, they correctly are located in the folders associated within each album (see below), and have the correct metadata. Interestingly, it is only all the compilation albums that are affected, with their tracks being placed into another other.

Even more strangely, the first compilation album (F:\MUSIC\Various Artists\Capital Gold_ Platinum Legends\) works fine, but after this the problems occur (Note: the tracks all don;t get stored in the second album - they get stored in the fifth).

Can anyone advise why this might be the case?

Here is a example of data from a track from an album that appears correctly (albeit with every other compilation album (except Capital Gold) in), and one that doesn't.

One that appears in the correct album (also the album where all the rogue songs are stored):
File location: F:\MUSIC\Various Artists\The Best Sixties Album in the World... Ever! Volume 4\01 Baby Love.mp3
Title (all metadata is according to Windows Explorer): Baby Love
Contributing Artists: The Supremes
Album Artists: Various Artists
Album: The Best Sixties Album in the World... Ever! Volume 4 (This is truncated on the Archos display)
Bit rate: 256Kbps
Protected: No
Part of a compilation: Yes

One that appears in the incorrect album:
File location: F:\MUSIC\Various Artists\The All Time Greatest Movie Songs\02 Men in Black.mp3
Title (all metadata is according to Windows Explorer): Men in Black
Contributing Artists: Will Smith
Album Artists: Various Artists
Album: The All Time Greatest Movie Songs
Bit rate: 256Kbps
Protected: No
Part of a compilation: Yes

Does anyone know of a reason why these albums are all getting merged in together? Has anyone had any similar experiences?

I thought I'd post on here before contacting Archos themselves - forums usually have the answer! :)
Thanks in advance

Edit: Hmmm, it also appears that the Beatles' 1 album doesn't appear in the correct place either, but it may be located in the massive album too...

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:54 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi.

This sounds similar to a bug I have found with my Vision 14.

Any albums or artists names that start with the same word, like "The", followed by a space, will clash and get lumped together as one artist/album (I'm not sure which name gets priority). Its like the device can't handle artist and album names with spaces in them, and only sees up to the first space.

I think you will find that if you edit the artist and album metadata for your mp3s, and insert "_" where there is a space in the name (like The_Feeling, The_Script), it will work. Of course this is pretty hopeless if you have hundreds of albums! Interestingly, the artist/album names are displayed correctly when the track is playing. I was going to bring this issue up with Archos support, but decided to try this forum first.

Its worth noting (I think I am right in saying this) that your folder/file structure and naming has no bearing on the way the Archos sees and stores artist and album names - it is all taken from each mp3 file's metadata.

Please let me know if this is the same issue you are experiencing.

Regards,
Reg.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Curiouser and curiouser....

I added two more albums to my collection today, named "The Masters" and the "The Essential....." and they still did not appear in the album list using my naming convention of replacing spaces with underscores.

I next tried enclosing the names in quotes - this made one of the albums appear but not both. I am now thinking that this Archos device perhaps only looks at the first four letters of the artist and album names?? By using a combination of underscores and different starting letters I have managed to get my four albums starting "The " to appear in the album list. So we have:

The Collection
'The Mix'
The_Masters
"The Essential"

all named slightly differently or they don't appear.

I am still not entirely sure what is going on here, but its pretty amazing for a music player to reach the consumer with a bug like this. And I can't believe only a couple of people have actually noticed it.

Regards.