Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:23 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hey all,

Just thought i'd share my ahem "experience" at bricking my 7b G2 (resistive, but i suppose it's the same casing) earlier today. A certain piece of otherwise appraised software (backup software, ironically enough) completely froze my tablet earlier today, and after reset, it booted to the Arnovo logo until when the brightness goes full again, then gave a sound that sounds like an old cellphone ringing. And it stayed there, no matter what.

Now, all the guides told me i should just use a combo with the volume button. Well, the 7b G2 has no hardware volume buttons, so i was a bit out of good ideas there. But i could easily connect to it with adb, so i knew that there had to be a way to fix it. Data loss, i was prepared for that, as long as it came back to life.

If you are in the same situation, here is what i suggest you try (worked for me). You will need

Rockchip Batch Tool v1.4
Update.img (a firmware image), either from Arnovo or the kasty mod (i used the latter)
The USB cable that came with the Arnovo

- If you have a microSD card in your Arnovo, take it out, just to be on the safe side.
- Make sure your Arnovo is entirely powered off (hold the power button down till the logo vanishes).
- Unzip the Rockchip file and put Update.img in the same folder for the sake of convenience.
- Connect the Arnovo to your PC using the USB cable.

Here comes the tricky part. The tiny switch in the reset hole is VERY difficult to spot, since you can easily pass a thin needle way past it. The switch is only a few mm down and a little bit towards the back. Be very careful, and you will be able to feel it. When you do, press it down, and press the power button for about 2 seconds. Now your PC should find a new USB device. Install the drivers from the Rockchip driver folder, and do not worry if it during driver install says "device disconnected".

Now run RKBatchTool.exe. If it cannot see your Arnovo (normal if "device disconnected" happens during driver install), then perform the reset procedure again. Choose the firmware, click "Upgrade" and wait.

Summa summarum: The whole trick to it is to actually find that tiny reset button.

Not that i hope any of you ever brick your 7b G2, but if you do, i hope this can be of some help.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:45 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

firmware that you carried in your g2 7b dual touch? I do not find any for Dual Touch, and I need because I have a dead
Thanks from ibiza

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sorry for the late answer, been on vacation. This is the firmware for the Arnova 7b G2 Dual Touch: http://www.arctablet.com/blog/featured/ ... ware-v1-1/ - this is the firmware i have used since the date of my first post and it has only crashed on me once with 6-8 hours of daily use.

I can confirm that this trick also works with the new Arnova Childpad (capacitive and resistive really are visually identical) with firmware's from here: http://www.arctablet.com/blog/featured/ ... play-root/ - this one is acting a bit weird on my capacitive model, but mostly stable.

To find out if you have a resistive or capacitive Chillpad, take the box it shipped in and look at the barcode stickers on one side. If it says REF 50194x it is resistive, 50217x means capacitive, it says NOwhere else on the box ..

REMEMBER to get the right one of resistive/capacitive, because adding the wrong one can render your touch screen useless ..