Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:08 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi all
I've just spent a good while trying to find the answers I need, but to no avail. I did try before posting here, honest!!
My first issue is with updating my newish (5 weeks) Arnova 10 G2 tablet firmware. As recommended by viking (thx mate) I downloaded the one from the Arnova tech site, so it's sitting on my tablet ready to go BUT I'm loath to do it because I don't know what version it is. I got it here
http://arnovatech.com/support/updates.h ... ang=en&p=3
but it gives me no clue to what version it is, unless I'm being an idiot (highly probable ;) ). My device tells me I have Android 2.3.1
Kernal 2.6.32.27 and Build No GINGERBREAD.eng.hwg.20110913.192033 (whatever the frig they are;) )

The file I downloaded is called update-1.img

Now, getting apps just ain't happening! When using Google play, it gives me two options, both Samsung. I've tried downloading apps, and when I go back to the site it tells me they are installed!!! When they clearly are not. I can't use Applibs because its no use....hasn't got one app that I've needed so far, not even Google Earth!!
I want to get the Netflix app, but I know as soon as I try to download it, it will then tell me it's installed.

I apologise for such a long post. If you can just direct me to some instructions I'll do all I can to work it out for myself. I'm not being lazy, it's just that this is all new to me and it's so frustrating having this great machine in front of me, but not being able to get the apps i want. I so wish it had come with Market pre-installed. Any reason it didn't?

Many thanks in advance
David :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:40 pm 

My updated firmware has same numbers as you, and maybe its purpose was mainly to provide a base for customizations. Best to avoid the google market web site until you have gotten an app to install first, or it wont recognize the hookup. Your first installation can sometimes take special voodoo steps that you see discussed in the tips section, although i didn't need most of them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:28 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi viking
Thanks for taking time to reply, but, mmmm, I'm afraid my ignorance is about to shine through :)

??? maybe its purpose was mainly to provide a base for customizations. ???

?? Best to avoid the google market web site until you have gotten an app to install first, or it wont recognize the hookup. ???

??? take special voodoo steps ????

Voodoo steps? That's a new one on me!!!

So, are you saying I shouldn't get Market? Do you have it yourself? I did find a tutorial ( http://www.arctablet.com/blog/featured/ ... -firmware/) but it involves changing my firmware.

Confused.com!!!

And what's with Google Play telling me apps are installed when they aren't?

Thanks again, hope you don't think I'm being a smartarse, i genuinely appreciate your help, Viking.

D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:55 am 

again, just follow the advice in the setup tips topic above. Download from mediafire and do the six steps i listed... or the six steps others posted there.

Dont mess with firmware or google web pages for now, use market on your device. A newer simple approach may be available by downloading arctools from appslib and running it.

Just learn by doing... not anticipating. Its just a hack thats not meant to be overthought, but just done once and for all. Thank google for not letting arnova preinstall market.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:25 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Arnovatech say therr is a firmware update for the g2 on there website but when you look at the updates its still version 1 initial release and matches the firmware you are listing. I did actuatlly install this firmware and it is the same. It is interesting that the 9g2 and the philly version of the 10g2 both have had recent firmware updates. The philly being in feb and these are suposed go fix the issues with flash 11. I get the feeling though that arnova have binned further updates on the 10g2 now they have released the 10g3 with ics.

Damian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:00 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Oh dear, you have fallen down a big hole here. It's an easy thing to do in the wild world of computers, operating systems, applications, etc. You are not the first to do so, and you certainly won't be the last.

After all, you have bought a computer (an Arnova 10 G2 tablet) that comes with an operating system (Android 2.3.1) and all you want to do is to install and run some apps - and Google Play is the main place for that, right?

Well, not quite. For starters, the first part only tells part of the story which leads to the conclusion being completely wrong.

Firstly, Google OWN Android and they can make whatever rules they like. Although most of Android is open-source, Google's own apps are not - and neither is the Honeycomb series (Android 3.x).

Google have stringent requirements for hardware producers to be able to register their hardware as fully compliant and able to run the Google Apps including Google Play. The Arnova 10 G2 is not compliant and can therefore not run Google Play or be linked to Google Play. (not without performing some "Voodoo Steps", anyway :badgrin: )

By the fact that you say that "When using Google play, it gives me two options, both Samsung", I assume you have two Samsung devices connected to your Google Play account? Any apps that you have downloaded will have been downloaded to one of these devices, not your Arnova G2.

Legitimately, you are limited to using the AppsLib store with your Arnova. You can find PhoneFlicks-Netflix Andro on AppsLib and this should do what you want.

Otoh, you could try installing something like ES File Explorer on your Samsung device and using that to back up all the apps on the samsung - this will create a bundle of .apk files - and try installing the relevant .apk on your Arnova - but there would be no guarantee that this would work. Because Google have already vetted all devices that are legitimately allowed to connect to Google Play, the store knows in advance whether the app you are looking at is compatible with the device you wish to install it on - or not.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:30 pm 

Google market is easy to install if you follow directions, and as far as i can see looks the same as google play. Like i said, the arctools approach may be ready to install gmarket in seconds, or the six step approach documented here certainly works. You may get a variety of error messages at first, but they are false and things just need multiple reboots to sych up.

Google will recognize your arnova and give it appropriate apps. With the exception of flash, where you must absolutely refuse googles constant suggestions of downloading version 11. Do not download apps from the market web page at first... only from the app. I thought all this was clear on the tips topic. If someone gets arctools to work, post it i the tips.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:11 pm 

Ps, you may at first get an older version of market, but it will self update over time. Just bash things around to get it to download your first app, then things will get smooth ever after.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:00 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

OOPS. Maybe I have not made myself clear. I was not trying to say that an Arnova 10 G2 tablet can not be made to work with Google Play (or Android Market, as was), rather to explain how things are when the an10G2 comes out of the box and why it is that way.

A plain, vanilla Arnova 10 G2 tablet just will not work with Google Play/Android Market, but it can be made to do so by employing some arcane skills - voodoo steps - that others have trailblazed. The G2 Info Sources thread contains all the voodoo steps required.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:18 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi all
Once again thanks for the replies. Dinosaur: interesting read, thanks :)
And viking, thx again
BUT
still need bit more help....
I've downloaded the file google apps gerry. It then says:

Extract the files, transfer the files and then install the apks using file manager in this order:

-1.Google Services Framework -2.OneTime Initializer -3.Setup Wizard -4.Talk -5.Gmail -6.Vending

Eh?? Are these those "voodoo steps" you all keep mysteriously mentioning? ;) What the frig is a voodoo step??!! LOL!!

Transfer to where...file manager???

Help...I am trying...
D

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi again
It's downloaded the fike when i click on it i get a choice things to open it with....
D

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:05 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Hi David,

Yes, those are the "voodoo steps" that viking was referring to.

I have never heard that actual term being used before, but it made me chuckle. Voodoo is a type of "black magic" which equates to "occult" (which just means "hidden") and is used in relation to the "white magic" of a typical computer "wizard".

A "white magic" magician will diligently learn everything that Mr Gates and others of his ilk care to let him know, so he can impress the gullible with his seemingly magical touch of being able to tweak registry settings etc. to make a computer sing and dance.

A "black magic" magician will tear the whole thing apart - hardware and software - and be able to do things the "white" magician can only dream of.

We used to use the term "hacker" for such a person, but that usage has been deprecated for a long time and the term is now synonymous with cyber crime.

In terms of where to put the .apk files, just connect the arnova to your PC using the Arnova's USB cable and copy the files to anywhere you like on the Arnova. Disconnect the Arnova - not forgetting to "safely remove hardware" (assuming you are using one of Mr Gates' offerings) and then run up the Files Manager on the Arnova. Navigate to wherever you copied the .apk files to and tap on the name of the one you wish to install. If you get a choice of things to complete the action with, choose Package Installer - that will install the package!

(btw - a .apk file is really just a zip file with the contents organised in a specific way to form an Android PacKage)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thx again Dino, another interesting read.

I'm not actually linked to a PC, I downloaded the file straight to my Arnova. So imagine my excitement when I hit the Package Installer button only to get the message 'There is a problem parsing the package'.....bugger and damnations!
Should I download it again?
Sorry to bug you guys, but there so many apps that I had on my Galaxy II, that I now want on my Arnova. (I dropped my phone in the bath....I know, I know, I'm a dick...).
While I'm still trying to get it together, apart from Applibs, is tbere any other place to go where I can download apps straightforwardly?
BTW, you were right. I have owned Samsung phones.......
Thx again
D

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:44 am 

For the third time i suggest to you download arctools from appslib and open the app. Its purpose is to try to install gmarket. Please tell us if it works.

Otherwise you may have to download an unzip app from appslib to unpack your mediafire download.