Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:08 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Setup Tips an10g2
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:44 pm 

I finally got my arnova working really well. Let's list some setup tips, which will probably change as more software becomes available.

1) Firmware: I am giving up on the current rooted firmware meant for gmarket via arctools. It shrinks your appspace down drastically and has other quirks. I use Arnova's recent firmware from their downloads web page, although installing it is disruptive (it may omit a few freebie apps, which you may want to back up first).

2) Google market: I am using the new approach posted in the G2 Info Links sticky topic which easily gives you sort of a google market "lite". It is mostly functional, at least after a reboot or two. And folks say you can web browse to market.android.com on your arnova, which now will let you point to the arnova (although didn't seem to actually download for me). NOTE: Never install Flash11 even when gmarket urges you to update.

3) Video: MX Video Player is a fantastic app that seems to bring Arnova up to or beyond the standards of Archos type video players. Very robust whose only limitation seems to be when it fills the screen, you can still see icons over the notify bar (at least doesn't black out the notify bar).

4) Wifi: This can drain a lot of power during sleep because the darn device seems to frequently wake up. To address this I keep the screen timeout short and use a Wifi Widget to quickly turn off before sleeping (and vv). I thought someone mentioned an app that would both turn off wifi then invoke sleep, but can't remember it. EDIT: This seems to go away if you turn off location detection by wifi in settings.

5) Battery indicator: The builtin icon can read wildly high so I use Battery Level Widget.

6) Appspace: If you have too many apps things will run slow or give errors. You can push parts of most apps to "sdcard" within settings/applications to free space (or use an app to push). You may not need a physical card if they use a special directory for it. It seems to slow down the boot time considerably when you have this in effect.

7) Backup: Your apps can get nuked by fate or a firmware update, so consider using an app backup tool like Es File Explorer for that.

Post subject: Re: Setup Tips an10g2
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Very Good and detailed
This is exactly what I have done until somebody works a more solid way to get the latest
android market and allow it to update automaticaly

:) :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:11 am 

8 ) Browser: Dolphin browser seems muuuuch less laggy than the standard web browser (which barely can scroll sometimes).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:44 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Also I have installed launcher pro (plus) as the android launcher is crap, and this launcher has much improved scrolling on the homescreens and on the app drawer on the Arnova 10 g2.

Not far off I nearly have the perfect set up, just waiting for a solution to get the latest market without a Cfw :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I use a little app called "hibernate" to set my g2 to sleep. It shuts down everything it can including wifi and really preserves the battery. I can sincerely recommend it, although the widget icon is rather ugly, it really works.

This weekend I installed Go Launcher Ex with the ICS theme and I was presently surprised that it runs very smoothly and has a lot of great features. The g2 handles it nicely and the effects are a nice touch.

I also sincerely recommend Orientation Control when watching videos to fix the poor viewing angle by rotating the screen upside down. This way you can tilt the device backwards without losing quality.

I still havent found a perfect videoplayer though, since none of them play videos fully fullscreen. I'll give MX a go.

Last but not least one of my favorite apps is EZTV that streams thousands of TVshows straight to your device. Everything from The A-Team and Alf to Boardwalk Empire and The Walking Dead. The quality is decent and the program is stable.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:57 pm 

elevener wrote:
This weekend I installed Go Launcher Ex with the ICS theme and I was presently surprised that it runs very smoothly and has a lot of great features. The g2 handles it nicely and the effects are a nice touch.

Then you can use Go Locker which is a great startup lock app. I just couldn't get the required Go Launcher to display icons when I rotated my arnova.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:58 am 

elevener wrote:
"hibernate" to set my g2 to sleep. It shuts down everything it can including wifi

I wish I could find that somewhere. Google market won't give it up to arnova or archos types, and other sources that claim to offer it seem to have lost it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:42 pm 

9) Apps: Another appstore app with many freebies is Amazon http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b?ie= ... 2350149011

P.S. There is a new way to get latest google market with semi rooted firmware at http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BAW9EYIG which doesn't shrink appspace, but use at your own risk.
VIKING update: with megaupload gone, I don't know any new location for this firmware from "htcmania"

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Has anybody got anymore information on no6)? i have cleared cash&moved everything to sdcard but i still cant download from appslib as it says memory full, unable to download??????

6) Appspace: If you have too many apps things will run slow or give errors. You can push parts of most apps to "sdcard" within settings/applications to free space (or use an app to push). You may not need a physical card if they use a special directory for it. It seems to slow down the boot time considerably when you have this in effect.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:54 pm 

cooki wrote:
Has anybody got anymore information on no6)?

Appslib was you giving false errors, but is working now. Meanwhile I will slightly expand 6:

6+) Internal memory or appspace can run low if you have more than a dozen or so big apps. I seem to need about 60mb free or else things slow down anyway. You can relieve by pushing to sdcard directory within settings / applications / manage applications / downloaded. Note the used and avail space at bottom. Best to click options to sort by size. From the top down, click on the app and see if it gives you the option to move to sdcard. Some take several attempts.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:09 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

theres a post on this group about how to get google market by installing the components, and no need for custom roms. I just wonder - as this very simple fix exists - is there really any need for custom roms to bring us the market? the fix works extremely well, pretty much risk free (its only installing apk's), and can be undone by simple uninstalling. Its made me love my arnova much more, and i wouldnt go to the bother and risk of a custom rom now, cant see any point - although i know custom roms bring other benefits im sure, but even still

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:40 pm 

Yeah, that's what tips 1 and 2 suggested. But the new SEMIrooted firmware is getting great reviews and gives you a fancier gmarket and the ability to back up with titanium. I haven't tried it, but posted the link in a P.S. above.

4+) BTW it looks like tip 4 about battery drain isn't needed if you leave wifi location detection turned off in settings.

2+) Here is the simple way to install market without firmware changes. After installing, you may have to reboot or sometimes clear data in settings to get gmarket to allow you on:
ultimodiablo from arctablet wrote:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QSM6ATPB
VIKING UPDATE: instead use http://www.mediafire.com/?iu9scb6nn302tkr

Extract the files, transfer the files and then install the apks using file manager in this order:

-1.Google Services Framework
-2.OneTime Initializer
-3.Setup Wizard
-4.Talk
-5.Gmail
-6.Vending

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:35 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

viking wrote:
9) Apps: Another appstore app with many freebies is Amazon http://www.amazon.com/mobile-apps/b?ie= ... 2350149011

I stumbled on that one as well. Santa brought my 10g2 yesterday. I'm downloading your megaupload link now. 1 question though, should I update my firmware(OS) before or after applying that? Also, for some reason, the default AppsLib is giving me a "server error - please check your connection". My WiFi is fine, so I'm thinking their server is extremely busy.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:27 pm 

Update firmware first. Appslib busy. For more discussion, please start another topic so this can stay as proven key tips.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Worked like a charm. Just had to do an extra few steps (from bottom of this post http://www.arctablet.com/blog/forum/arnova-10-g2/install-android-market-without-root-on-latest-firmware/)

1) After installing all the G Market files go try to login to Gmail. You will get an error.
2) Now go into settings and manage apps. Click on Google framework. Clear the cache/data files.
3) Do the same thing for Gmail and clear the cache.
4) Power down and back up.
5) DONT launch the market but launch Gmail and login. It should work.
6) Now you can launch the Market.

Thanks for all!! :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:07 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi i was wondering if you had any tips on number 8. Backing up the system. I'm new to using any tablet so any advice on backing up would be great. I have managed to install custom firmware, android market and several apps from there.
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I believe that I have found a solution to backing up an image file.

1) On the app marketplace download a program called Titanium Backup. You only need the free version for what we need it for.
2) Open the application and on the menu select 'Batch'.
3) Here you will see a large amount of options. Under the section 'Backup' choose the option to 'Backup all user apps and system data' and then press 'Run the batch operation. Now there will be a pop-up progress bar that shows each apps or piece of system data as they are being backed up. Once the backup ohas been completed exit the application.
4) Plug the tablet into your pc/laptop using the USB cable and turn on the USB storage.
5) Go into the Arnova folder on My computer then sdcard>titaniumbackup. The file directory should be something similar to arnova10g2/sdcard/titanium backup. Here you should see all of your backed up apps and system data.
6) Now you need an image creating software. I personally prefer to use imgburn but of course others may have their own personal preference.
7) Select Create an image using files/folders.
8) Select the folder that contains the backed up apps and data as mentioned in number 5.
9) Select the destination for the image file to be created. DON'T FORGET TO CHANGE THE FILE TYPE FROM ISO TO IMG.
10) Finalise the options and then voila, you have your image backup there, ready for use.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:14 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

it says it needs ROOT. (I assume it means root access, since it's Linux based) How to I set this up or work around it?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:48 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Very interesting tips.
By moving apps to the SDcard area it solves some space problems indeed.
I did it and now sometimes even then too few space is available.
By installing an micro SDHC card of f.i. 32 G does it give additional space for apps or is it just available for user data like movies etc.?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:28 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

3.1.3 market update

http://www.arctablet.com/blog/forum/arn ... 2-general/