Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:35 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:57 pm 

Beware about downloading Flash11 which seems to break flash on the browser! Even if you don't care about flash, it can force close just because there is a flash ad on a page. It looks like my warning for this didn't get posted in appslib - maybe someone who has an account with them can post there warning about arnova g2? Uninstalling it gives you a working flash 10.3.

At the moment we seem to have a limited number of supposedly compatible apps on appslib and amazon market. Here we could post ones that work particularly bad or good on our screens with Gingerbread, like:

Flash 11 - DISASTROUS (use 10.3)
Arctools 0.53 - doesn't work for google market
Opera mobile browser - displays badly
Dolphin browser - much less laggy than default browser

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:16 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Where were you able to buy this in USA?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:03 am 

(my "on the way" topic told how I bought it from Amazon. I bet they are avail only hours at a time).

Gosh, the games I try just work great on arnova g2. It looks like Gingerbread is a better task manager than Froyo, and keeps memory almost empty of competing tasks (unless you have live wallpaper or are downloading or something). So Angry Birds, and Rio Angry Birds work better than ever. Angry Birds Seasons has a few freezeups when it tries to display commercials, but just press "back". Wave Blazer and other arcade games work better than ever, and Plants vs Zombies loads easily (due to larger RAM than archos gen8?).

Aldiko 2.0 gives me some trouble with epub (it is a premier epub reader under Froyo) although can limp along OK with pdf. At one time I helped get Aldiko going by re-running the startup wizard which seems to refresh some starting conditions. I can't get Adobe Reader to display pdf of moderate length without freezeup.

The default web browser as well as some other apps can be laggy to scroll, so best use dolphin instead.

The built in video player isn't playing a lot of my files, even with the advertised format suffixes...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:20 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Did you try to back-up the video app from the G8 and then istall it on the Arnova? I am curious about how it will work. :)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:01 am 

(video app from the G8 surely targets other chip technology)

VLC 0.0-alpha - IT WORKS!!! (for many videos) EDIT: sound problems since last firmware?

I downloaded both non-neon and neon versions from
http://phandroid.com/2011/09/23/vlc-ope ... -download/
After many force closures and reinstallations I finally learned to not set up a scan directory with it. Just bring up your videos in a file browser, then click and select VLC (sometimes the native video player works OK in this mode too). It looks like both the neon and non versions work, although neon maybe better. Don't expect crystal clarity or the lack of an occasional crash (can restart and skip that part of the video).

Wowie, even a messed up avi that wouldn't play on my Archos will play OK. Well, some simple avi's directly from my camera won't play in VLC. I can play VOB's of my family home movies, in spite of some idiot overlaying tracks of DRM elevator music that usually stops things.

Of course this approach doesn't use native hardware tricks like the Archos is famous for, and may cook your chips doing software simulation. It's hard to tell overheating because the plastic back doesn't conduct heat too strongly to your hand. Maybe with google market there are better simulators, like what I use on archos sometimes. We don't seem to get as much aspect ratio control as on an archos - I would like to find a video app that offers more options.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:18 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I saw that the new fw was released. Has anybody tried it al ready?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:58 pm 

Firmware update nuked most of my apps. The basics seem to work, but I will start a new topic on it. I suppose my app comments above are subject to change now - I don't know if I will be able to retest everything.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:21 am 

es file explorer - fails to color code whether you backed up apps in app manager

Lucky I also used AppBackupReinstall which allows you to select-all and tries to back up everything (such as before a firmware update) although it still seems to skip a lot.

raging thunder - road racer works better than on my gen8 a70

I guess the reason these arcade race apps seem to work better than on my a70 is due to a smoother accel/tilt meter. My a70 seems to be stickier to respond.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:41 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi everyone, my 7 G2 arrived last night and I'm enjoying so far.

Having played around for a few hours I've found issues with the following applications:

Barcode scanner - Doesn't seem to recognise the camera correctly.
Newsrob - Not letting me log into Google Reader.

Just thought I'd add to the thread, cheers, Easty.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:26 pm 

The barcode scanner works for me if you change it's settings for a mirrored front camera (I hate how it is mirrored!)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Still no joy on barcode scanner even with a reversed camera. Thanks anyway Viking.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:59 pm 

Maybe your hardware is more like my archos 70, where that app is extremely fussy about exact alignment, distance, and strong brightness. Main thing was I had to be square on, with the body parallel to the target. But my an10g2 doesn't care; it just reads at any old angle, sometimes before I even have the right label in view.

Dolphin Browser HD: really helped me to reset the "user agent" to Desktop from Android, so that I no longer get those crippled mobile versions of web pages. For readibility I set fonts to larger than normal. Pays to review all dozens of settings for this thing; for instance you may want to turn save passwords off and default browser on.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:46 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

this is a little off topic but how do I get rid of the newspaper apps on this thing? do I have to wait till the root comes out? help would be very nice.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

never mind firm ware update did it for me. now on to the flash problem. got any good task killer for me.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:24 pm 

What flash problem? Works fine unless you download flash 11. If so, just uninstall in settings/applications/manage app/downloaded and you will get back a working flash 10.3. Why a task killer - Gingerbread seems to keep it down to just 4 or so tasks active on my machine according to something like settings/applications/running services .

Whew, I sideloaded some things that mostly worked ok. Google maps, and a fantastic youtube player (doesn't that use flash?). And my favorite game "stupid zombies" looks great (now on amazon market?). I wonder why I can't get pdf or epub readers to display well, when the Dolphin browser can make web pages look so crisp and readible.

Can't get google book or marine weather by bluefin to work.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:22 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Kindle - works but cuts off the top line.

I have backed up and transferred an apk of the Kindle application over and although it looks great on my 7 g2's screen the bar along the top of the screen cuts off the top line of text from the book page!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:04 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I noticed that depending on what WiFi access point I'm using I either have or have not working flash.
For example, when I'm at university I have working youtube, blogspot, and other sites, when I'm at my hostel those sites are not working. At hostel I'm using my neighbors WiFi access point, so I don't know exact settings.

For pdf reading I'm using VuDroid. Haven't had any problems.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:22 pm 

gucci_dre wrote:
For pdf reading I'm using VuDroid. Haven't had any problems.

+1 That works better than the others I have tried on G2. Phew, so many apps and special settings that will just be clobbered in the next firmware update (from arctablet?). I need a better app backup app. Is it appmonster that saves your settings as well as apps?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

A few of my favorite apps so far:

Dolphin HD (goes without saying)
ezPDF Reader (really nice, fast and smooth pdf viewer with animated page turning)
Comic Reader Mobi (even nicer, faster and smoother comic reader with amazing features and animated page turning)
Aptoide (until the G2 has access to Android Market, Aptoide is the next best thing, way better than Appslib)
Astro File Manager ( many options and good overview)
Fast Reboot (for when everything is stuck)

All of these above can easily be downloaded via Aptoide or by googling the name with .apk added to it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:19 am 

elevener wrote:
Astro File Manager ( many options and good overview)

It made nice mass-backups of my apps, but I can't get it to even display regular files. Had to sideload a working version from my archos70 after the other sources demanded my first born child or whatever. Even after fiddling with the home dir settings it won't seem to work. Pity, since it looks good.

Live TV 2.0 - quality view of euro channels (aptoide version is backlevel)
Stupid Zombies 1.6 - sick shoot-em game looks great on an10g2