Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:02 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi all - recently bought an Arnova 10 G2, and really pleased with it so far. Have loaded the Kindle app from Amazon, but whenever I try to read an e-book, it misses the top line off, behind the toolbar, whatever size of text I select, or whichever way I hold the tablet. Is there something I can do to remove the toolbar, or hide it, or show the whole page. Seems curious to not be able to read the top line of a new page on an e-book, but haven't been able to unearth a way forward.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:49 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I Have the Same Problem

I recently bought an Arnova 8 G2 and have the same problem with the Arnova. I have tried the Kindle App and another game and neither program can get the Arnova to give it full screen permission. My other Tablets running the same programs will slide away the "notification" or "status" bar. In addition, all the programs that I have used that will only display in "Portrait Mode" display up side down. In other words, the physical buttons must be at the top to read the screen. Anyone else have the same problem?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have figured out a very round about way to get rid of the status bar and also explain why apps that were not made properly to handle the status bar have this problem.

Have a read here:
http://www.arctablet.com/blog/forum/arn ... tatus-bar/

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:36 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

finless wrote:
I have figured out a very round about way to get rid of the status bar and also explain why apps that were not made properly to handle the status bar have this problem.

Have a read here:

Bob

Thanks Bob for your excellent information and work around. I don't want to root my Arnova at this time. I did some more testing myself and with the help of a few friends we tested five other tablets with the Kindle App. All of them except the Arnova worked fine. In all of them when you actually go into the book, the "status bar" slides away leaving all the text readable. When you tap the center of the screen, the "status bar" and the position bar move in to place on the top and the bottom. I have sent an e-mail to Arnova Customer Service asking about the problem. I'll give their reply when I get it. Again, thanks for all your work
John

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

[/quote]

Thanks Bob for your excellent information and work around. I don't want to root my Arnova at this time. I did some more testing myself and with the help of a few friends we tested five other tablets with the Kindle App. All of them except the Arnova worked fine. In all of them when you actually go into the book, the "status bar" slides away leaving all the text readable. When you tap the center of the screen, the "status bar" and the position bar move in to place on the top and the bottom. I have sent an e-mail to Arnova Customer Service asking about the problem. I'll give their reply when I get it. Again, thanks for all your work
John[/quote]

As with you John, grateful for the help Bob - does seem to be rather an extreme means of simply trying to get rid of the taskbar, particularly as you have to do it each time you do or don't want the bar. I have also emailed Arnova Customer Service, and accepting the holiday period delays things, am awaiting a reply from them. Interesting to see if we get the same response!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have exactly the same problem and I have stupidly paid for and downloaded a load of books from Amazon. It was only after closer inspection I too realised the top line(s)of text were missing. Really annoyed with myself. Would be great if anyone hears of a straightforward fix.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

watching this topic closely, my wife found the same problem last night. (Arnova 10 g2)

I wouldnt hold my breath for Arnova to respond, kindle is a third party app and also not on appslib so I expect them to wash their hands of it.

a simple workaround would be well received.

edit: looking on bobs link it looks like kindle are to blame for not implementing the full screen correctly, so they need moaning at (and further it looks like some other readers ad an adjustable boarder which overcomes the problem simply on their end).

Last edited by Sm1thson on Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks Bob. Have done as you suggested and also installed Button Savior. No issues and I can access everything I need to on the tablet from wherever I am at the time without needing to reset.

Cheers Andy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:35 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Wusster wrote:
Thanks Bob. Have done as you suggested and also installed Button Savior. No issues and I can access everything I need to on the tablet from wherever I am at the time without needing to reset.

Cheers Andy

So now you can read the top line in the Kindle e-reader? Did you have to root the Tablet as Bob suggested to get rid of the "status" bar? If so, what about the battery level and notifications?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:56 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sm1thson wrote:
watching this topic closely, my wife found the same problem last night. (Arnova 10 g2)

I wouldnt hold my breath for Arnova to respond, kindle is a third party app and also not on appslib so I expect them to wash their hands of it.

a simple workaround would be well received.

edit: looking on bobs link it looks like kindle are to blame for not implementing the full screen correctly, so they need moaning at (and further it looks like some other readers ad an adjustable boarder which overcomes the problem simply on their end).

I don't think that Bob actually said that Kindle is to blame for the problem. And as I understand what he said Kindle does not fail to implement the full screen usage correctly. In all the other 5 different makers of tablets that I tried the Kindle e-reader worked exactly as he said it should and it got full screen and you could read all the text. The Arnova could not give full screen. When the Kindle e-reader was in full screen, a tap in the center of the screen gives back the status bar on the top and a location bar at the bottom so you can quit the app by the soft back button. I thought that the Arnova could not give full screen. It's more complicated that that!! I've found two apps on the Arnova that do get full screen. The Camera app and the Video Player. But they both have a built in return button to get you out of them. I await the answer from Arnova Customer Service.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:30 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Still no resolution to the Kindle app issue yet, but following some of the comments have decided to take it up with Amazon support. They are currently investigating the issue and are advising response by 15/1/12. Initially asked the usual question about settings, and changing the direction of the Kindle to enable rotation, but reported that that doesn't help either, so we'll see what the response is and I'll post again then.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have an arnova 8g2 and couldn't read the top lines when on Aldiko. What I did was, in Aldiko, load a book, go to settings > more, and change the margins to 50. At least it worked for me, it may solve your problem too??

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

nuismer wrote:
finless wrote:

Have a read here:

Bob

John

I still have had no answer from Arnova Customer Support. That, and the problem of some apps showing upside down, have made me give up on Archos. I have 5 other Archos devices but I think that Archos no longer builds good products. I returned the Arnova 8 G2 and got a Pandigital SuperNova for the same price. In my opinion the Pandigital is a superior Tablet and has many more features.