Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:08 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi to everybody. I bought a new Arnova 10 G2 tablet a couple of days ago and I am already in trouble!

Today I got a notification saying I was running out of space. I verified in Settings/Memory and found that my SD card is almost completely empty (I have more than 7 GB out of 8 GB total) and even in my internal NAND memory there is plenty of space (more than 2 GB empty).

The problem is the last item in Memory list, which is called "Archiviazione di sistema Spazio disponibile" and should be "(System Storage) Available space": here there is very little space (now 32 MB... it was almost zero this morning!). What does it mean?

I tried moving all my applicatiosn to SD card and deleting from NAND memory every single folder which I don't need. No effect! The only result I achieved was clearing application cache. This increased my System Storage Space from 0.00 B to present 32 MB... but still it is a very little space!

Am I wrong? Please, help me! Thanks a lot to everybody

Giancarlo from Italy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:54 pm 

I think that is application space, and when I push apps to sd like you did, I get a nice reduction. I can see the change at each step.

Anyway, you have a chance to start anew, because the new firmware deletes most of your apps. Maybe backup the ones you have and start again (checking storage numbers along the way).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:48 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you very much for your kind answer. Please, could you explain me something more? Sorry, but I am a newbie in android. So, what does it mean that, when I push an application on SD card, available space is reduced? Shouldn't be the reverse? I put my apps on SD card for freeing space on tablet's memory!

If I want to start from scratch again, as you suggest, how can I do? Could you please tell me the procedure to accomplish that?

Thanks a lot again!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:15 pm 

con_nesso wrote:
Shouldn't be the reverse?
Yes.

New firmware is at http://arnovatech.com/support/updates.h ... ang=en&p=2 (you can change the country) and once you select G2 it will show you instructions. Like my "experiences" thread said, it is quite disruptive to your apps (even some of the original ones are deleted). There are backup apps you can run first to save .apks like es file explorer or appbackupreinstall (spelling?).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thank you very much for your help. I updated my firmware to the new version following your suggestions. Everything run smoothly (except I had to re-install all my apps, of course), but my problem with space didn't get better.

After moving all my apps (at least all apps that can be moved) to my sd card, I still have only 192 MB of System Storage free. The fact is I have more than 2,5 GB free on my NAND flash memory and more than 7 GB free on my SD card. So why such a little space dedicated to System Storage? And the rest of space? Why is it unavailable?

Could you please check on your tablet which is your situation, just to have some comparison? You'll find system storage (internal archive or something like that) as the last item in Settings/Memory.

Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:39 pm 

con_nesso wrote:
I still have only 192 MB of System Storage free. The fact is I have more than 2,5 GB free on my NAND flash memory and more than 7 GB free on my SD card. So why such a little space dedicated to System Storage? And the rest of space?

That looks fine to me - I think you are about 80% empty in the app space and have room for a zillion more apps as long as they are mostly pushed to sd. I think you can fill it until 50mb or so free before having slowdowns due to their variable cache needs.

I'm not sure about gingerbread, but as I understand gen 8 froyo we have 256 (or slightly less?) that is hardwired for app space. That fills up fast, so you can push stuff to sdcard (the directory on nand, not the actual card). The arnova seems to handle the sd push better than gen8 archos because when you reboot, the arnova doesn't make you wait for a long time to connect sd pieces with the app space pieces (system storage).

P.S. I don't know if you still have that no-public-wifi law in Italy, but I found that nobody follows it in Palermo. A month of traveling around with a tablet was hard to connect in most parts of Italy, except in Palermo.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for your explanation. So we just have 256 MB for apps and cache... as far as I can understand, this space is used by apps installed on NAND flash memory and by cache of every apps (I mean that even sd apps use the same 256 MB space for cache, don't them?).

What do you mean by pushing to sdcard directory on Nand not the actual sd card? Do you mean that when I move my apps to sd, they aren't moved to sd card really? Android is full of surprises for me!

Concerning wifi in Italy, situation is slowly changing (slowly indeed, as almost everything in my country!). Now you can find free wifi in many cities, included my own town, Genova. There is a restrictive law which limit a further expansion of free public wifi (because of permits you must have to open your network to public). I hope this law will be changed in the future...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:08 pm 

I may have this wrong, but just based on the forum discussions about gen8 froyo...

The apps are on their own special reserved space of 256mb or so. Not sure where it is physically, but it doesn't take away from normal nand allowance.

When you push apps to "sdcard" with settings/applications, you are still leaving core parts of them in the apps space (you can see their size shrink in settings). And you aren't putting the rest on a physical sdcard! For historical reasons your nand has a directory called sdcard. At least this means you can remove physical sdcard without messing up the split apps.

The actual sdcard is properly accessed by sdcard/sdcard if you have file tool that is showing the real name. Mostly this structure is hidden from you, and I find this Gingerbread Arnova especially confusing on mixing up the physical sdcard directories with nand directories. I wish I had left the sdcard out for longer to get oriented. I think there are tools that can push apps to actual sdcard but maybe performance would suffer.

On wifi, they must have ended that rule that was trying to block terrorists (and tourists) from connecting anonymously. SPQR!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for your precious explanation. I am a newbie in Android world and maybe I don't understand very well the situation, but it seems like a very messy one! I am accustomed to Windows and Linux O.S. and I never saw such a complicated way to manage thing. I repeat, maybe I don't know the real causes, but I find incredible, for example, that I have to continuously clean the cache or to force apps to close in order not to fill up all my memory. And these are just two examples....

Anyway, you are very kind and thanks a lot for helping!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:10 pm 

I don't have those problems at all. I never clean cache, and don't really need to push to sdcard. I pushed for the fun of it, and so my very numerous apps only fill about half of the app space. Have you sorted apps by size in settings/applications/manage applications/downloaded ? You can flick the options to sort biggest first, and I only have flash 10.3 (and now google maps) of any size at all still on device memory. They are about 11mb each, but everything else is very tiny.

I don't have to kill apps - Gingerbread seems to do it fine. If I show running apps in settings, it only shows about four active at any time. I wonder if you have some malfunctioning app or hundreds of apps. Sometimes thare are temporary mixups that sort themselves out by a reboot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have very few apps installed on my tablet and the biggest one of all is Adobe Flash Player 10.3 which occupies 12 MB approximately and can't be moved to sd card. The next one in list is Office Suite that is only 4,32 MB. Now my archives has 57MB of memory used and 191 MB free... does it sound good?

Anyway which is the purpose of Adobe Flash Player since flash doesn't work in Firefox for me? I am able to watch to youtbe only using Dolphin Hd, that should have its own flash player embedded.

As far as memory occupation is concerned, it happened to me to have to shut down the tablet and restart it in order to re-gain control many times. before I discovered TasKiller, which is working very good in killing apps running in background.

Malfunctioning apps? I don't know! I just wonder why Aldiko is always running in the background even if i don't use it. Is it normal?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:33 pm 

I suspect you are chasing the wrong problem, and don't need any task killer or messing about with sdcard! If you are using a bloated app like Firefox 4 it will overfill your RAM memory (not mentioned so far - I think 512mb). See http://www.tested.com/news/everything-y ... roid/2084/ on firefox4
Quote:
The high memory usage is going to be an issue for phones with less RAM. Even those with 512MB will see the browser closing in the background far too much. Mozilla needs to work on memory usage with the Gecko engine.

I guess there is a new Firefox 7 needing less RAM, but it didn't even occur to me to try such a thing that isn't built on a foundation of smaller devices (archos gen8 only had 256 RAM which many complain about but I find fine).

con_nesso wrote:
Now my archives has 57MB of memory used and 191 MB free... does it sound good?

That sounds extremely empty - you can jam this pretty close to full except a few dozen mb for cache expansion. I can't believe app space is the problem and I think you needn't take anymore steps to clear it out. You need that flash! Maybe you never needed to delete anything there or move anything to sd.

What exactly was your warning message about? Surely it was about RAM, which is the normal working memory. Archos gen 8 came with an app called system monitor which would tell you how much you have left. We have to be careful about terminology, because multiple confusing names are used. This is what a task killer would clear out, although what I used for a while was "auto memory manager" app - it doesn't have to be a manual process but ongoing and auto.

Maybe we can find a way to measure remaining RAM, but I think you can start by either trying Firefox 7, or else getting rid of firefox or other big memory users. The term RAM is like SDCARD, which describes the physical holder of memory, but programs probably will refer to an android name for the function of that memory. I don't know what they would call it - maybe can find it in a Gingerbread manual online.

Quote:
One of the more common complaints I've heard about Firefox over the last few years has been about its gluttonous use of system RAM. Firefox 7, released today, addresses this issue head on, with a MemShrink project that reduces memory use by 20 to 50 percent, according to Mozilla, the non-profit organization that develops Firefox. This results in both faster performance and a lower likelihood of crashing.

Above is from http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,23 ... QEWBEnS12r , but I wouldn't assume even that version is safe for arnova. Learn to love Dolphin - the gesture part can be a big time saver too. I wouldn't even install an auto memory manager; Gingerbread probably handles it fine if you just nuke the desktop bloatware.

P.S. a confusing thing about "sdcard" is that most file browsers combine directory sdcard (on nand) and sdcard/sdcard (on a card). If you use a linux style file browser they will show the real directory structure. I think they use symbolic links or something to make them appear the same.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 7:53 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I verified: I am using Firefox 7.0.1 so it should be the right version. The reason why I am using Firefox (even if it isn't able to play flash video) instead of Dolphin is that Dolphin is not able to download files. I know there are many posts about this problem: when you try to click on a link for downloading a file (for example in Filesonic) in Dolphin, you get a message saying that there is no application associated. I even tried the workaround suggested by many to enable file downloading from Astro file manager, but it didn't succeed for me.

I think I have a problem with RAM when many apps are opened together because it happened to me many times that an app got stuck and it was almost impossible to do anything in my tablet. This was before I discovered TaskKiller which is doing a very good job in this respect: no more app freezing since I am using it.

When I installed my apps (not so many indeed) I got a problem even with archive space for apps (let's call it "disk space"). It shrinked to almost nothing (really it even reached 0.00 B!) and I had to clean cache a move many apps to sd in order to solve the problem.

In my opinion Android is not very well targeted to tablets, because it is primarily a smartphone O.S. In tablet it suffers from many little problems. I hope to see in the future a version of Ubuntu that could be installed on tablets, so we will eventually be able to use a "real" operating system!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sorry to bump this thread back up but i am too having the same broblem with my arnova 10 g2,mine keeps saying unable to download,not enough memory.i have pushed everything i can to sdcard&have un installed everything i dont want/need&also cleared the cache,
but i still cant download anything from appslib,
Has any body got any information on what i could do?im using standard firmwere out of the box,

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:14 pm 

cooki wrote:
keeps saying unable to download,not enough memory.i have pushed everything i can to sdcard&have un installed everything i dont want/need&also cleared the cache,
but i still cant download anything from appslib,

It's a false message from appslib as I bet you can confirm by looking at your storage avail numbers. Appslib acts up every Xmas period as demand goes up and support staff wander off. For the time being, why not load amazon market app and maybe the google market lite from links in the Setup Tips topic.