Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:38 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:10 pm 

Wifi Toggle Widget - saves battery during sleep (when mine wakes up at times with screen on, probably due to wifi query) or gaming, video etc.

Mvideoplayer - can show subtitles and other features (I can't get regular player to show subs!). No more codecs than regular.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:24 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

infernus 2 (very smooth and good looking 3d game)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:50 am 

Vitalplayer neon 1.2.8 - Wow ... plays wmv (usually) and .mpg and other videos. I confirmed we have a NEON cpu, which has special floating point hardware for graphics which players can directly utilize if you get their neon version. I am also trying yxplayer neon, but so far it seems a memory pig with lesser capability. BTW choose neon version of VLC like I posted earlier.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:58 am 

Oh, it can take a fair amount of tweaking to get vitalplayer neon going well. Tap it to clear commercial (or swipe to alter A/R, brightness, or sound). If it doesn't play well you can force it to switch between hardware or software simulation playing. Weirdly it sometimes works better when invoked from files rather than it's own directory scanner. Also weirdly, the root directory setting works best with /storage or /storage/sdcard.

VLC stopped giving me audio for most wmv and vob - did this come from the firmware update?! I didn't even finish a movie only playable by VLC - I guess I will have to find subtitles. BTW vlc needs an explicit push to sd in settings or else hogs memory.

Battery Widget - Great! The default icon seems wildly optimistic, only going below 60% when you are about flat dead. This one agrees with the very buried reading from settings (also it allows you to pop into when clicking icon). Appslib

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:29 pm 

Officesuite Pro - superb on pdf, etc. Did you get this preloaded, and it didn't seem to work, then it disappeared in the firmware update? Well, for today only amazon market is giving this $15 item for free! Only quirk is it offers a free dictionary download which doesn't seem to work.

Air Attack HD - WW2 air combat with interesting graphics, although kind of a strange interface.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:42 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi, so the G2 will support neon players, will any of these video players rotate when the G2 is turned upside down to get a better viewing angle, I've read the moboplayer can do this on the advent vega. I've tried some players from appslib but they don't rotate or the screen goes black with sound etc, is this the G2 hardware or do you think it will work with the right player.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:22 am 

Have you tried rotating it before you invoke the app? I have frequently done that successfully because some movies look better with an inverted screen bias. I didn't notice any players that can't do this, but maybe by chance I only did it with the native player. It seems like the recent firmware updated nuked the ability for VLC and Vitalplayer Neon to play sound with certain odd movie types, so I don't use them as often. Yeah, usually the app can't rotate after already started.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:15 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi, no I havin't tried rotating it before opening the player, will definitely give it a go.

Last edited by ricky20 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:13 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

No luck with launching the app after I rotate the G2.

Last edited by ricky20 on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:20 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

gReader from Aptoide is working a charm for me. Much better than trying to access the desktop site and more fluid/intuitive to use than the mobile site. Once root is available to get AdFree up and running this will be the perfect reader for me. Definitely an improvement over the confusingly sluggish performance of the native web browser

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:58 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

The Arnova 10g2 does not have a lock function.

I would recommend lockbot pro for this probelm. Very nice ui with various lock screens including the new honeycomb lockscreen. When unlocking you can have a numeric keypad pop up to enter a pin number or you can use a swipe pattern.
So far so good. For Email I use kaiten mail, very nice program and ui. I use a different picture viewer than the android built in one called Quickpic. Also I am using the sociomall app, an Android market replica that has lots of apps to choose from and a bit better than the apps lib. Hopefully soon we will have the custom firmware so we can have full access to the official Android Market. :D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:49 am 

MX Video Player works fantastic, with subtitles and weird codecs.

P.S. some of the problem apps I have listed here may be crippled because I sideloaded a froyo version. For instance es file explorer works better when I get a gingerbread one directly loaded from gmarket.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:47 am 

titanium backup used with the rooted market-ready firmware and arctools can partly overcome the shrinkage of appspace coming from installing google market (see g2 info links thread). There are many ways to push apps partly out of appspace, but titanium batch moves seem to do it more completely. Also it's handy to backup and restore stuff which you don't always want clogging up appspace. Lots and lots of issues about using this which I cannot type in now, but remember to push titanium out of appspace with settings because it can't seem to "do" itself. And I think you want to backup titanium with some other tool. Don't push widgets out of appspace.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:04 pm 

Go Locker will give you a working screen lock with password. Unfortunately you must use Go Launcher with it, which I dislike and can't get the icons to reliably display when rotating screen.