Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:36 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:59 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I started having an issue with my(refurb)80 G9 getting increasingly weak WiFI signals and compared it with another android tablet I have to verify that was the case(tested using WIFI app). After reading on this/other message boards I suspected the(antenna?)wire had somehow broke/shorted and proceeded to disassemble the unit to find out if that was the case/culprit. Upon dis-assembly it had indeed broke off from the soldered point on the metal part(not the connector) it was attached to. I re-soldered the wire but after reassemble found it did nothing to increase the weak WIFI signal.

...unfortunately I now have a worse issue in that after reassembly pretty much the top-third of my touchscreen now has a dead-spot. I see no damage to the screen itself, have tried(both)calibration methods mentioned here/other places to no avail. I disassembled the unit again to see if anything may have been pressing against the back, but even with the unit separated in-half the dead-spot remained.

I plan on upgrading to a better tablet soon but was just wondering if anyone might have an idea what is causing this condition, and perhaps how to fix it(if possible).

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:37 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Sorry - cant help with this one (fortunately have never needed to pull mine apart). Others here have but this forum is a bit of a graveyard now. The best result you might get is doing some extensive searching here etc for previous threads on screen/wifi issues along with pull apart diagrams. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:15 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the reply Agj_h.

Yeah, I figured as much(folks are simply not having issues...or(more likely)have moved on with newer tech)

The reception problem had gotten so bad I had no choice but to open it up to see if there was anything I could find that might be obvious. I had read/watched a few details on dis-assembly before attempting it, but unfortunately I noticed I may have damaged the(digitizer?)ribbon during dis-assembly(at my age my hands aren't what they use to be :cry: )

I don't think that is anything I can replace/repair on my own...so looks like I'll be one of those moving on to a different tablet.

Too bad, this was my first delve into the android/tablet world, and other than some limitations of the Archos(fickle GPS, low memory), I was pretty satisfied with it's features/performance.

Guess I'll need to find something that's more kid(or old guy)proof. :)

Regards...