Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello - I am Michael from Austria, seeking help! Many thanks in advance!

A bought a Archos 80 G9 ICS and updated directly to ICS 4.0.5. Unfortunately I can`t get the tablet tethered to my Nokia 5230 phone. WiFi=off, (no) 3G Stick=off, Bluetooth=on

I turn on Bluetooth on the phone and have external SIM on. The Archos and the Nokia 5230 get paired with the 16 number PIN code. The Bluetooth connection () on the Nokia go┬┤s on and about 3 seconds later, off again. The Archos still say┬┤s connected.

In the Archos settings, I just find options to activate tethering over USB, WiFi or Bluetooth for other devices. In the bottom right corner I just got the gray Bluetooth symbol, clicking on it tells me "no internet connection".

At the Bluetooth settings I see the paired phone and on the right I can access settings to rename the phone or cancel pairing.

Tried pin 0000 and 1234, then found in the Nokia online help the external SIM usage needs 16 numbers. Also tried without external SIM Mode, with 3G on/off, tried a scan for mobile network in the 3G stick settings, and many other things I found here and on other sites... but no luck.

Has anybody an idea where my (or the ICE 4.0.5) problem could be? :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:18 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have not heard of anybody who got this to work between phone & Archos G9 tablet. But if you link two pair other android tablet then you get under bluetooth settings the option to connect to the internet....

The old DUN protocol of symbian may not work. But I've rooted my tablet and will try to do what I was doing in gen 8 bypassing the Archos Bluetooth tethering and running a script. I will let you know when I do so if that' works. I need a symbian phone to test.

If you had an android phone you can now use Bluetooth by installing FOxFi on your phone to enable DUN on ANdroid phone and then install PdaNet for tablet....

Try also PdaNet for tablet to your symbian phone. Since Symbian already have DUN enabled it may well not need the FoxFi app. So give it a try.

I tried it last night and it worked pretty well. Android phone thru Foxfi DUN enablement to G9 ICS PdaNet for Tablet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:06 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for testing. I tried PdaNet on my tablet, but it keeps telling me that it┬┤s looking for FOxFi on another Android device.

This is not working as I planed it, but it seems I have to contact my phone operator either to get another SIM card and buy the G3 stick for the tablet - or get an Android phone with wireless LAN or Bluetooth/FOxFi.

I would prefer the phone + tablet solution, because the phone can be positioned where the UMTS connection is best (if connection is critical) - and the tablet can be used all around the house (and holiday location) with BT or WLAN.

I got an eye on the "Sony Ericsson Xperia arc S" and hope BT or WLAN can give me internet for my Archos there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Wait I may have a solution for you.....just need to get a symbian phone to test with.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:57 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

OK - thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:41 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

OK, my friend... I think the problem is your Nokia Nuron or your operator version of it, or the external sim card. I don't even understand what you mean by external SIM. Here are my findings:

1. I know Nokia Nuron works well with bluetooth Tethering and Android. I used it in Gen 8. It was my only phone for a long time. But mine is from Tmobile USA. I was able to tether two ways: using the provided bluetooth tethering setting set up by Archos or myself binding the bluetooth device to rfcomm thru a script and then connecting. The second gave me much better speed than the first but the second required root.
2. On Gen9 Archos stopped providing the bluetooth functionality. Thus I tried the FoxFi thing but as you found out it only works with Android phone. So I got my self a Nokia C2-1 to test with. It's really almost a dumb Nokia Phone but has 3G. It's Symbian S40. So less advanced than the Nokia Nuron. Nokia Nuron is discontinued in USA and it's hard to find. I got rid of mine a while back when I decided to move to Android phone. It was great phone but I wanted Wifi so I can get higher speed connection. Bluetooth is limiting. It capped aroud 490 kbps while using the ARchos BT App and aroudn 900 Kbps while using my script binding rfcomm.
3. MY Test with Nokia C2-1: I was unable to use the script and binding. This time ARchos did not include the rfcomm. I kept getting rfcomm not found. I was dissapointed until I found out actually that the Bluetooth Tethering Built into ICS (and Honeycomb) work on my Archos. I do have 4.0.5 ICS. All i Had to do is pair the phone with my Archos, then on the Archos, in BT settings I locate the Nokia C2-1 phone and on the right of it there's the setting and I can select it as internet device. Clicking on it connect to the Nokia ...the Nokia ask if I allow the connection and bum....I was online. It works even better than the FOxFi. With Foxfi some apps would not recongnize that I'm connected to the inteernet. I was not able to run a speed test or to download apps from Market or from the Web. I was only able to surf the net browser or stream from thru the browser. Which is pretty limiting. But with this builtin functionality all the apps are aware of the internet connection.

I Hope this help you a little. I know it does not solve your problem but at least you know that Bluetooth Tethering works with Symbian. I expect it to work with Nuron too since it worked with Nokia C2-1 wich way low end device compare to Nuron. And I know from past experience that Nuron works very well with Bluetooth Tethering.
So I think its your particular Nuron or Something with your operator firmware. May be they asked Nokia to remove DUN profile wich is the one used for internet tetherig via bluetooth. I'm not sure...

All the best..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:53 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for your testing.
With my Nokia 5230, the Archos / ICS 4.0.5 settings for the paired device show only the options to cancel the pairing or to rename the phone. There is no option to use it as an internet device.

I will contact my operator if this function is locked out somehow. Will post again when I solved the riddle.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

There are 2 types of Bluetooth tethering. PAN (personal area network) which is kind of like wifi tethering almost and DUN (dial up networking). I have a old Nokia E71 myself that supports DUN but not PAN. So in the bluetooth menu on my Archos 101 G9 Turbo it will show paired but not connected and will only give me options to unpair or rename the device.

I rooted my tablet and put on a rom from XDA (based off the 3.2.80 version of Archos firmware). It took me some fiddling around but I got DUN to work on my tablet. It's not the easiest to do sadly. Getting the device configured to connect to my nokia for DUN was easy. But to setup the tablet to connect to my cell provider through my phone was annoying.

You will not get the fastest of speeds via DUN but it works in a pinch.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:58 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Interesting...now I'm not sure if you need a rooted firmware to connect BT Tethering....My test above worked on a rooted firm ICS 4.0.5.
May be that's what needed. And now I no longer have the nokia phone to try the same phone with original non rooted archos firmware.
But from my understanding the rooted firmware from Surdu...is just stock with no modification whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:56 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello!

Thanks for the info so far. I ordered the G3 stick after the info from the Operator, that the stick will be much faster than any connection over the Nokia 5320.

So I guess that is why the whole tether thing is not supported any more with the G3 stick capable tablets.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:32 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I checked and it's not about rooted or non rooted. It works with some devices and does not work with others.
It's not working with Nokia E5. I wonder if it's bluetooth verison issue. The C2-01 has bt 2.1 and the E5 has 2.0. I think E5 worked with before with tethering. I'm no longer sure since it was last year when I last tried.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

try using bluevpn...it's available in the market..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:44 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hello!

I allready got the Archos G3 Stick and I´m happy with it.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:10 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Nobody has been able to use a nokia phones as bluetooth modem?

I'm in the same situation and is quite annoying thinking that a Pad that can't see the ad-hoc wlans can't be internet tethered throug bluetooth with all the mobile phones...

I keep losing all the challenge with my friend's iPad
The eeePad is too much below the iPad's quality...

Help me win!!!! XD

Last edited by fari21 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:05 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

After using the 3G Stick now for a while, I find it much better then my previous idea to tether the phone. I switched also my phone now to a Samsung i5500 with WLAN. Now both devices can act as a WLAN hotspot. But the tablet with the G3 stick is the better solution because the tablet battery lasts much longer than the small phone battery.

And when the signal is too weak for a good connection (camping place), I use a 5m USB cable to get the G3 stick (in a sealed plastic bag) up a tree. I wouldn´t want my phone there. :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:59 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I do realise that the following covers only part of the info desired, still: Tethering through the Nokia E5 can be done, and problem-free, as far as I can see. All the info at

http://pro-mobile-internet.net/page2.html

Mind you, according to my experience, things get somewhat easier if the Nokia Suite is installed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I'm in the same situation and is quite annoying thinking that a Pad that can't see the ad-hoc wlans can't be internet tethered throug bluetooth with all the mobile phones...

I keep losing all the challenge with my friend's iPad
The eeePad is too much below the iPad's quality...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:58 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Why in the heck would anybody ever even want to us Bluetooth for 'tethering' now anymore to start with? It's horribly slow and not of much use unless you absolutely have no other means of connecting through something else to get Internet access.

I know that things are a bit different in various countries, but come on know... slow Bluetooth thru anything... really? Headphones or maybe a keyboard, but far to slow for any Internet use.

Unfortunately, here in the U.S.A. things are all run by 'corporate greed'... meaning that you would not only have to buy and agree to extra 'data' usage terms for a cellphone (and even then only certain models) that allow being used as a WiFi Hotspot... at least then can usually get up to 3G speed.

In my situation, I just have no need/reason for a 'smartphone', but did want want Internet (after canceling the horribly bad Charter Cable Internet service I had)... I just broke down and agreed to a 2 year contract for a Verizon Hotspot that I can now take anywhere with me. It now serves as my only Internet connection for all of my computers here at home, and also for any of my tablets if I take it along with me).

As far as anything "iPad"... those things are nothing more than overly expensive devices that really do NOT do anything for anyone unless they are willing to be totally locked into the Apple ecosystem. Seems a rather strange comment I've heard about that Archos G9's before, but I've never understood it. I could easily sit next to anyone with an Apple iPand and show/say can you do this, or this, or this, or this... and they would wonder at at all of the things I CAN DO that they can not do so easily.

But, then again, that's comparing Apples to oranges (or Apple to Android or now Windows 8). In other words, decide what it is you want/need to do BEFORE you buy a device! Each one is different and has a few certain things you MAY want. The key point there being is IF YOU DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOU WANT TO DO then just don't buy something until you figure that out first.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

At the start here, I had a Nokia 5230 without WLAN and a 500 MB data package with my phone contract. I was trying to tether via Bluetooth because the Nokia 5230 had no other connection to the Archos tablet. So now I have a G3 Stick in the Archos and have to pay additionally for a seperate data package for the tablet. :-(

Since I changed to an Android phone, this now works as a WLAN hotspot and can be used for tablet, notebook etc. But the G3 stick is still faster and so the tablet is sharing the internet to the notebook. :-)

I'm turning off email notification now. This thread could be closed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:50 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

mhuebmer wrote:
Since I changed to an Android phone, this now works as a WLAN hotspot and can be used for tablet, notebook etc. But the G3 stick is still faster and so the tablet is sharing the internet to the notebook. :-)

I'm turning off email notification now. This thread could be closed.

While I agree this thread could be closes I'd like to toss out one last little thing...

I've been using a Verizon WiFi Hotspot for several months here now. Initially only had 3G service here, but 4G LTE was going to be coming (they just did not now the exact date at the time). Long story short, yes things here did change to 4G LTE... and IF YOU THINK 3G is fast (which I NEVER DID)... I guess you'll never know how really fast 4G is LOL.

Many years ago I used to have 768K Internet service here and 3G was not even close to that. Now, with 4G I'm up to almost just about what I had with 10M Internet service from my (crappy) cable company provider!

As such, I guess it depend more on what service you can get where you are with whatever you happen to have at the time. Unfortunately, that seems to change very rapidly now.

Glad you found something that works for you there though!