Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:11 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I've recently bought an external keyboard for my Archos 80 G9 (running Honeycomb). I plugged it into the mini-USB socket and the lights on the keyboard flash but it does not seem to work. I've gone through the settings, check the manual etc. but there is nothing to be found to say how to get it to work. Am I missing something or is the keyboard defective?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:45 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

you need an OTG cable to connect devices to the micro-usb socket on the G9. If you are using one of these (which will have a full-size USB socket on one end), then a normal USB keyboard will work straight away.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:34 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Nigel wrote:
you need an OTG cable to connect devices to the micro-usb socket on the G9. If you are using one of these (which will have a full-size USB socket on one end), then a normal USB keyboard will work straight away.

Sorry I was mixing up my "minis" and "micros". The keyboard I have does have the right connector and the lights on the keyboard are blinking every few seconds. Still I'm not getting a response to typing.

I should add that I upgraded to the 4.0.6 version of the firmware this evening with no joy (though there are fewer options for input now - it's a lot cleaner).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:50 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

There is more to an OTG cable than simply having the correct sized connector.

Don

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I have found that about any standard-usb kb will work IF plugged into a USB hub that is plugged into the "3G" USB connector in the back. However, they do not seem to "recover" well if the Archos has gone into deep sleep mode, and it needs to be rebooted to get the kb working again. I think I have seen that not all hubs work equally well, so YMMV on that point.

Several different BlueTooth kb's have worked, too (even their touchpads - nice for keeping smears off the screen, although the "mouse" cursor is a bit hard to see on dark backgrounds). And those do reconnect normally even after being turned off, then back on some time later - not sure though about the deep sleep effect noted with the USB kb's above.

This is with the standard 8GB model (aka Staples' "4GB" model with 1Ghz/512MB RAM), with ICS 4.0.3 (Archos FW 4.0.6). I just picked up 2 on clearance for about half the original price after reductions/coupons. ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:00 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I confirm that with an OTG USB cable the keyboard works well with g9 and ICS.
i have plugged a K400 keyboard/mouse and it is just great! 8)
K400 is a logitech keyboard wireless with a dongle that i have plugged into OTG cable.
80 g9 + K400 = a tablet with keyboard/mouse for a small price

with this, for people that just want to do internet, mail, appstore,...etc there is no more need to buy a laptop. a tablet do the same much easier and much cheaper.
i'm sure the tablet will kill laptops.