Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:47 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:18 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Update for Nigel,

Now that I've done that bit of research I feel more relaxed at leaving the new Maplins Charger connected.

I disconnected it pretty quickly when I saw the % of charge appear to reverse and then no increase for approx 3.5 minutes but it may have just been a coincidence as I've just tried it again, although having now already been charged the G9 was showing 99%.

When I plugged the Maplins charger in the lighting flash did come on (I didn't think to look at that last time) and it put that one percent of charge in pretty quickly but then I don't really know if the Archos was at 99.9% or conversely at 98.5% so I will try it again tomorrow when the battery has been pretty well drained and let you know.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:14 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I've been using a Kindle Fire charger since November and seems to work fine, but try at your own risk. I have not compared any of it's specs to the Archos cable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:24 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Well the Maplin one is definitely not putting anything in although the Archos says it is being charged.

You do need a slightly higher voltage than the battery voltage to put the current in quicker, the Maplin is 5.22 while the Archos is slightly higher at 5.26 not different enough to make any real difference. I did notice that the two centre (data pins) on the Archos charger are linked (shorted together) This could work like a switch to the Archos circuitry when the charger lead is plugged in and maybe it is the same on some other USB chargers, but you would expect Maplins to have taken that into account when supplying a charger specifically for Touchpads.

Anyway I've emailed Maplins tech support, they are usually good, as I don't just want spare charger I want a one shop stop do for all to reduce travel clutter charger. Plus maplins stock the Archos 80 G9 and some other Archos stuff.

I'll let you know what they say providing they don't ignore me as well like Archos Tech. Help.

Butterfly Girl:, Good find even if it was by accident the Kindle Fire spec is as near as dam it to the Archos Charger and if it's working and with the correct cable it should be as fast or even a tad faster.

Original Kindle fire US AC Adapter: (couldn't find a UK but expect only the pins are different)
AC Input 100 - 240V~, 50-60 Hz, 0,3 A
DC Output : 5V , 1.8 A

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

TAKE NOTE...I was just going to order a Kindle charger from 'The Cell Phone Shop' as I am the worlds best looser of chargers. But this is what they are selling for the Kindle Fire.
Kindle 2
Kindle 3
Kindle 4
Kindle DX
Kindle Fire
Kindle Touch
Specifications :

Input : AC 100V-240V, 200mA, 47-63Hz
Output : DC 4.5V-9.5V, Max 800ma
Charges your tablet/e-reader battery rapidly.
Built-in IC chip to prevent overcharging and short circuit.
LED charging indicator.
Small and lightweight, which is convenient for travellers.
Best replacement for the original charger.
Get one for the office, one for your home and one for travel.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:10 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

all this charger chat is a bit off the topic of SD card use! never mind...

Jack, what I do is keep the original charger in my travelkit. At home, I use a Blackberry charger or plug the G9 into a computer; charging is slow either way, but I can leave it connected overnight. At the office I can use the computer to ensure the tablet is topped up, so slow charging is not an issue. On business trips or or holidays, the fast charging of the Archos charger comes into its own. Obviously, though, I would prefer a 2nd fast charger - both for flexibility, and also as a fallback solution for when I lose or break the Archos one. (I would also like a fast car charger, all the ones I've tried either don't work with the G9, or slow charge. Actully, what would be simplest would be a dongle that plugged into an Ipad USB charger and converted it into something th G9 would accept!)

by the way, I've also tried an LG phone charger. It will slow-charge the tablet, BUT I cant use the device at the same time; the charger cause the touch-screen to misbehave. It might be a generic fault, ot specific to this particular LG charger.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Nigel wrote:
all this charger chat is a bit off the topic of SD card use! never mind...

Don't worry about taking the thread off topic Nigel I doubt there is anymore mileage left in the SD Card discussion and better the thread develops into something useful. Although I would still like to know if there is way or a particular navigation App paid for or free that will allow it's Maps to be loaded to the SD Card and can access them and work normally with the Maps on SD and the App installed internally. If I could sort that I would be well pleased.

This is the reply from Maplin Tech. Help.
Thank you for contacting Maplin Technical Support.

This will be down to some items requiring a data signal to actually charge an item and not just power it.

Some power supplies have these pins bridged to trick the device in to thinking it's getting a data signal.

Unfortunately nothing we stock will be suitable.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

So it does look like, it's what I suspected might be the case in the previous post, the Archos uses the linked data USB pins in the charger and most likely sends a '1' or '0' down one of the lines which is returned to the board to allow the charging to start.

Re your slow charging via a PC USB have you thought about using one of those linked 'Y' USB leads for portable 2.5" Ext HDD you would need a micro USB adapter but that should give you 1 amp and should half the charge time. Most seem to be Mini USB on the output lead but I do have one for an IBM drive which as all 3 leads with standard USB.

This sort of thing..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Western-Digit ... 1c15d9e0e7

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:07 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Quote:
Although I would still like to know if there is way or a particular navigation App paid for or free that will allow it's Maps to be loaded to the SD Card and can access them work normally with the Maps on SD and the App install internally. If I could sort that I would be well pleased.
Other posts (eg, http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=58483) have mentioned CoPilot.
Quote:
have you thought about using one of those linked 'Y' USB leads for portable 2.5" Ext HDD you would need a micro USB adapter
I have tried this; it still gives the slow charge warning, so I suspect the G9 caps the current it draws. I have not yet done a timing test.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:09 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for the Co pilot link Nigel. It did lead me onto a few other places.

Co Pilot does look pretty good and Butterflygirl was saying it works well on the G9 but didn't say with which firmware or where the the Maps were loaded, External SD or internal memory.

Nobody else mentioned that either but I think it most likely is the best for Android at the moment from a features point of view, but at £33 for Europe and they don't include Ireland for that, so another £23 for Ireland it needs to be right.

I've done some research and it does look like the Maps can be stored to SD or internal but expected most people would want them on the SD Card but then the Archos 80 G9 is not on Co Pilot's list of approved compatible and supported devices and to compound that uncertainty there are a couple of people who, after upgrading to ICS, are saying Co Pilot has stopped working. Could it be this stupid no Apps to SD idea. Wonder what bright young thing came up with that master stroke of tunnel vision brilliance for goodness sake.

Judging by the number of people ready to ditch their kit because of it I wouldn't be surprised if Android looses some of the ground it has made up against iPad.

If I had known I would have gone for the 16Gb Flash rather than the 8Gb, but with an up to 32Gb SD option there didn't seem any point.

Typical Google! we are the ones who know what you really want, you just think you know what you want.

Don't start me off again :roll: :D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:40 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Regarding the charger, I've been using the one that came with a Blackberry Curve 8900 with no problems and getting a fast, rather than slow charge from it. I've been charging my phone overnight, and putting the G9-80 on charge in the evenings after I've finished reading/browsing/playing games for the day and it seems to charge from around 50% to 100% in a couple of hours or less. Bonus for having the worlds longest lead as well, it must be at least 5' long and is therefore long enough to be able to sit in bed with it plugged in, unlike the Archos one which would have had me sitting on the floor to use.

The actual charger is tucked away behind a chest draws so I can't give the output Vs and As, or model number off hand but if you'd like them let me know and I'll go fish it out.

I've also go CoPilot installed on my T-Mobile Vivacity (Android 2.x), it's not as nice as the Igo system I had on my old WinMo6.5 device, but having the maps locally (SD card on the phone by default) means I'm not constantly worrying about 3g coverage or date usage.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:08 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I am getting a GPS lock in my house with Co-Pilot. I am on ICS using the test firmware. I have not tried navigating with it. I cannot find a way to move the maps from internal storage to the sd card.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:17 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks Butterflygirl and Terahurts.

That Blackberry Curve charger sound good it seems faster than I'm getting with the original Archos.

Don't worry about pulling furniture out I'll Google it. So long as the Archos will recognise it, the output spec should indicate its charge rate, mind you for some reason they sometimes only give the output in volts.

Difficult to know if ICS apps will run with maps on the SD card, I don't think maps are like just looking at pics and videos stored on the SD card. I would think the maps have to integrate with the program. One or two people with maps on the SD card claim their nav systems have stopped working since upgrading to ICS.

Nigel was asking about travel accessories and mentioned mini keyboards. I've just ordered on of these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-leather-key ... 2ebb569435

I've checked the size and it is the same as the custom 80 G9 case I already have and I paid more for that without a keyboard. It has a full sized USB plug so it is ideally suited for the Archos 3G port.

I've checked the feedback and the previous buyers seem well pleased with it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:09 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Quote:
Made from high-quality artificial leather.
Umm... reminds me of an advert I once saw for genuine imitation Rolexes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:33 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

LOL! well what do you want for 12 notes including postage and packing. :D It's not pretending to be something it isn't.

Anyway there is bound to be quality imitation leather and cheap imitation leather isn't there. :D

I've never been one to be concerned about the perception of what is or isn't quality so long as it does the job that's quality enough. The Archos 80 G9 is itself testimony to that.

Besides did you know that many of the cases which sport the real leather tag are actually laminated (real) leather this is a paper thin top layer glued to vinyl. After a while in use it cracks and splits where the case is flexed, but it smells and feels like real leather of course and can be marketed as real leather.

Better honest quality imitation than something pretending it's something it isn't and priced at something it isn't.

Actually thinking about it. It was maybe a bad buy anyway because with the keyboard being in the case you can only use it landscape and my wife seems to likes surfing with the G9 portrait.

Anyway I can either keep on stock, put it back on ebay (can't really be bothered though for £12) or just look on it as a trial keyboard for Android, last option seems favorite and for twelve squid who cares. :D

Last edited by jack500 on Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 6:38 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

butterflygirl wrote:
I am getting a GPS lock in my house with Co-Pilot. I am on ICS using the test firmware. I have not tried navigating with it. I cannot find a way to move the maps from internal storage to the sd card.

Kept GPS lock all the way to work yesterday and copilot accurately tracked my position.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:38 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

this thread is going out of topic..

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:16 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

butterflygirl wrote:
butterflygirl wrote:

Kept GPS lock all the way to work yesterday and copilot accurately tracked my position.

I'm just guessing mind but I would expect that maybe you would have to move the whole mapping data file along with the maps to the SD Card if the Navigation app was to have a chance of locating and using them. From what I have read it seems Copilot has a download to SD Card option for the maps, but as per previous post with the maps on SD Card some are claiming Copilot stopped working after upgrade to ICS.

When you say you can't find a way to move the maps, do you mean you can't identify where they are or you are not able to clearly identify what might or might not be safe to move. Seems like ES File manager will move just about anything, but then I'm not so sure there is any guarantee things will still work from the new location.

But look! thanks for trying to help but I really shouldn't expect you to mess with a system that is working fine and suits you the way it is. Sorry!

I'll install something myself, maybe one of the free ones, and have a try myself

One last question though. What size of memory is your G9.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:51 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

@ jack500

I am sure I could move the map files with a file explorer, however, I cannot find this as an option in copilot. I currently have a g80 classic (8 Gb storage) . I have ordered an 8gb turbo which should be here tomorrow.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:29 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

http://www.meritline.com/showproduct.as ... ile-device

Works fine on American A/C current.

Car lighter working charger:
http://www.meritline.com/showproduct.as ... er-spn5400

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Quote:
You're really not supposed to

Err, yeah, that's why Google Play has plenty of "App to SD" apps. What a load of piffle, I have a Sony Tablet and hubby has the Archos. I can use

Quote:
App 2 SD (move app to SD)
App 2 SD helps you to get more free internal phone storage space Are you running out of application storage? Do you hate having to check each and every app if it supports moving to the SD card? Do you want an app that automatically does this for you and can notify you when an app can be moved?

and he can't. As apps are now getting bigger and bigger, it's more important than ever that this should be addressed. Many other Android Tablets support this feature. Hubby is now running out of room, and no, it's not full of music, videos and pics. It's got APPS on it.

Why should anyone have to pay more than they want to for a bigger version? He got a good deal on his 8gb, he doesn't want to pay more for a 16gb when I can get a similar size and use App 2 SD.

It's a feature that's extremely useful and needs to be supported much more.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:25 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

jack500 wrote:
Hi all,

I originally asked this question on the Android Forum where it was suggested I might have better luck here, so here it is hope someone can help.

I have just bought a 80 G9 for my wife's birthday and while I think the G9 is great for the price I am absolutely gob smacked that Honeycomb wont allow apps to be installed to the SD Card. Does anybody have any comments on that or ideas on how to get around it.

I should warn you that I might be a bit ancient to be talking Android apps but you're only as old as you let'em make you feel .

Actually all she really wants to do is download maps to the SD Card so as not to clog up the on board memory but I'm not sure how to go about that or even if an associated mapping app which has to be stored on internally memory would be able follow the path to access the map files on the SD Card.

I've asked Archos support the question but their reply was just this... 'You can't install apps to SD Card but you can write to SD Card with Honeycomb providing the SD Card is formatted to FAT32 but NTFS is read only.'
Wasn't really what I asked them but that now raises another question :? , are they saying there is a formatting process somewhere on the G9 with FAT and NTFS options because I can only find a mount SD Card option which I assumed will format it to FAT32 this being the normal flash memory file system but then do you need NTFS for video it being a bit quicker at file transfer ??? seems there are more questions than answers. It seems that Archos support are now choosing to ignore my second email which just politely requested clarification.

Does anybody have any experience of this? before I start messing around and giving myself a bigger problem.

Think the tablet is great though so I may be putting some pennies away and getting myself one, just a bit naffed off with the standard of customer support and also the generalisation and poor explanations in the of Archos on line manual.

(PS upgraded firmware to ICS yesterday, Sunday)

In terms of accessing, read/write rights to the SD card
You can access and read/write anything to the SD card (even apps) if you root your tablet and flash with a custom ROM. This is not difficult to do. There are a variety of different custom ROMs at XDA developers which can be found below:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1417

The general steps are:
1. Load a program called "ADB" onto your PC and load a "Developer's Edition" mode onto the Archos' standard recovery console
2. Using the "Developer's Edition" mode, install a custom ROM and new kernal files

These instructions can be found here: http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/34573-rooting-the-g9-80/

In terms of charging the tablet. I have found a car charger which works quite well to provide the amps/volts necessary to provide a full charge. There are specific "charging" USB cables which I'm sure the G9 uses. Move information regarding the car charger and USB cable can be found below:

http://forum.archosfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=63946&p=401164#p401164

smithmal