Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:14 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:10 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi Folks,

Will the Archos 80 G9 recharge from the usb port on my win7 laptop? Instead of having to use the mains charger.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:24 am 

It should charge, but it will be a very slow charge. You're much better off charging the device on your actual wall plug.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:27 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanx for quick response.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:09 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

also, charge time can depend on the cable used. The manual says only use the one Archos supply, but in practice some other work equally well - I am currently using an "Amazon basics" cable. (If Archos are so insistent that we use their charger and their cable, why don't they make spares available from their online stores? do they expect us to buy a new G9 if we damage a cable?)

Some laptops have multiple USB ports, with some designated as 'always on', so if is worthwhile running experiments to find out which one works best for you. I find I get better results plugged directly into a port on my laptop than I do when plugged into an external powered hub, but your mileage may vary. Unfortunately, I don't know of any app which will tell us the rate of charge (eg, the current being drawn by the G9 from the USB port).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:07 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Sometimes computers can boost the current for a USB port, like MSI: http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/msi-i-char ... 010-05-26/

I have the U270 netbook, but I have never tried it with the Archos 80. Perhaps it will only boost the current for the iPad.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:20 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

@Nigel It's about the thickness of the coppercable. Cheap cables have just about the right thickness to make it usefull for devices with low currents.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:49 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanx again for all the input.

Does anybody know what the charging requirement is for this model (Archos 80 g9)???? Presumably it will be written on the wall charger. Not received mine yet so can't look.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Just to confirm, jsrobo, you are talking about the flash models rather than the HDD versions? The HDD versions of the G9 have a separate power-in port, and I don't think they can charge via USB.

The supplied charger for my 8GB flash model says it can deliver 1.5A at 5V. If you are using a laptop or other charger (or other cable) the G9 will take a lower current (0.5A, I suspect) and show a suitable warning - or in some cases it will take no current at all (and the on-screen power level indicator will indicate this by not showing the lightning-bolt).

(IPad chargers deliver up to 2A - but use a different convention to signal that they can deliver that much oomph, so they will either deliver a lower level of current to the G9 models, or the G9 will take no power at all from them. I think I saw in another thread that Belkin(?) supply an adaptor with their Ipad charger to allow it to be used with the G9.)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Yes a 80 G9 8gb flash model.

I think the important bit about charging from the manual is quote

"Connect the supplied power charger/adapter/ USB power adapter.
Attention: Use ONLY the supplied ARCHOS charger/adapter/USB adapter on your device.

For the Flash Memory models: Use only the included USB cable to charge your device. Do not expect your device to charge properly when connected to your computer. "