Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:27 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Trying to test GPS functions, I have the following results:
1. If "Use wireless networks" is enabled, Google Maps finds my location successfully. If "Use wireless networks" is disabled, Google Maps reports "Your current location is temporary unavailable". The same result if no WiFi is available.
2. GpsFix works for 15 minutes and reports "No fix".
3. GpsStatus doesn't show current location.

"Use GPS satellites" option is enabled in all these tests.

So, GPS functions are available only with WiFi. Does this mean that my computer doesn't work properly? What else can I do to diagnose this problem?

Last edited by AlexF on Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:53 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

If I understand correctly, any GPS application that fetches it's maps from the Internet (such as Google maps) will not work if there is no Internet access available. This is not a matter of the GPS receiver in the tablet not working but has to do with the application not having map data on which to display your location.

I would suggest trying a GPS application that loads the maps onto the tablet. (Someone else may have examples that you may try.)

DLLNBrown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:58 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

AlexF wrote:
Trying to test GPS functions, I have the following results:
1. If "Use wireless networks" is enabled, Google Maps finds my location successfully. If "Use wireless networks" is disabled, Google Maps reports "Your current location is temporary unavailable". The same result if no WiFi is available.
2. GpsFix works for 15 minutes and reports "No fix".
3. GpsStatus doesn't show current location.

So, GPS functions are available only with WiFi. Does this mean that my computer doesn't work properly? What else can I do to diagnose this problem?

Sorry to be pedantic, but you don't mention the "Use GPS satellites" option at all. Can we assume that "If "Use wireless networks" is disabled" = "Use GPS satellites" is enabled?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:46 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

jamie41 - Yes, "Use GPS satellites" option is enabled.

dllnbrown - Google Maps loads the maps on the tablet. When I try it with Internet access, it successfully loads my region maps and shows my location. But without Internet access it cannot find my location. It looks like it doesn't receive satellite signal.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 5:54 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Try outside your home.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:06 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

i'm with dllnbrown on this one, google maps doesn't load the maps onto your archos with the application, it pulls them off the internet in real-time. i have an a5a with the ndrive gps as well as the google maps app. the ndrive takes up a huge chunk of real estate in storage, as would any app that has stored maps, in comparison to google maps. and google maps won't work on mine without internet access either, i tether my a5a to my stupid-phone while on the road, although i do it for the weather maps. (ah, if only someone could come up with an app that would combine gps and weather...)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:37 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

https://androidmarket.googleusercontent ... s-320-0-20

This is how GpsStatus looks like, when GPS is working. On my computer I never see latitude and longitude, it always shows "Looking for location" status.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:31 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

zandoli - you was absolutely right. Actually, I already tried this outside, but possibly not far enough from my home, and something was wrong. This time I made a small trip in my car and found all GPS functions working properly.
Regarding Google Maps - it has its own cache for offline use. It is enough to view your area when WiFi is available, and later it shows current location on the map - it looks pretty good and can be used as simple GPS navigation.
Thanks to all for your help.