Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:52 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:38 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi all. I hope someone can help me. I am looking to buy this unit, although i would rather have the 250gb version. I will be using it mostly to watch movies on and use it as an e-reader similar to the amazon kindle but would like to know if you would be able to see the screen clearly when outside on holiday which is where it will be used and as such, can you change the battery for a spare or do you have to plug the whole unit in to charge as i see the battery life is about 6 hours which will not last a full day at the beach so to speak. thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:02 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

russlock wrote:
Hi all. I hope someone can help me. I am looking to buy this unit, although i would rather have the 250gb version. I will be using it mostly to watch movies on and use it as an e-reader similar to the amazon kindle but would like to know if you would be able to see the screen clearly when outside on holiday which is where it will be used and as such, can you change the battery for a spare or do you have to plug the whole unit in to charge as i see the battery life is about 6 hours which will not last a full day at the beach so to speak. thanks a lot.

I have been able to use in sunlight in my car. No spare battery, but I use this when out and about:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-iCruise ... 515&sr=8-1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:54 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

butterflygirl wrote:
russlock wrote:

I have been able to use in sunlight in my car. No spare battery, but I use this when out and about:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-iCruise ... 515&sr=8-1

Thanks for the reply. So it does not have a removable battery like my Archos 504 which I have 2 spare batteries for?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:38 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

The battery is not removeable.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Nigel wrote:
The battery is not removeable.

ok thanks. might have to re-think.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:11 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi,

I've just been away for 3 days, taking my 80 g9. There was no Wi-Fi so I was using the 3g dongle all weekend. I turned off all background data sync and reduced the screen brightness and the tablet charge lasted all weekend :-)

It takes an age to recharge though!!

Coj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:28 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

cojones wrote:
Hi,

I've just been away for 3 days, taking my 80 g9. There was no Wi-Fi so I was using the 3g dongle all weekend. I turned off all background data sync and reduced the screen brightness and the tablet charge lasted all weekend :-)

Coj

Thanks for that. My intention was to ditch my Archos 504 with a 4in screen and 80gb hard drive and buy the 80 g9 with the 250gb hard drive version when it comes out and at the same time use it instead of buying a kindle as an e-reader and now and then use the internet if wifi was present as i'm not bothered about the net if there is no wifi. but main intention was movies and books.
Am I better to stick with my 504 and buy a kindle? thanks all

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:15 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

russlock wrote:
cojones wrote:
Hi,

Coj

Thanks for that. My intention was to ditch my Archos 504 with a 4in screen and 80gb hard drive and buy the 80 g9 with the 250gb hard drive version when it comes out and at the same time use it instead of buying a kindle as an e-reader and now and then use the internet if wifi was present as i'm not bothered about the net if there is no wifi. but main intention was movies and books.

Kindle only has 8gb of storage (probably only about 6gb for actual content) and no microsd card. Kindle Fire seems mainly geared towards streaming content from the cloud, so probably is not as useful for prolonged periods away from wifi.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:22 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

butterflygirl wrote:
russlock wrote:
cojones wrote:
Hi,

Coj

Kindle only has 8gb of storage (probably only about 6gb for actual content) and no microsd card. Kindle Fire seems mainly geared towards streaming content from the cloud, so probably is not as useful for prolonged periods away from wifi.

Though I personally prefer the Flyer over the 80 G9, the G9 (IMO) is a MUCH better option than the Fire, if you would like storage options and the real Google market. Being stuck with Amazon is almost as lame as being stuck with iTunes.