Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:48 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:22 am 
Archos User
Archos User

I'm wondering if the screen problems are universal. So, do any of you who have G9 90s not have any screen distortions from tohcing the screen, the sides or the back? I'm not counting distortions from pressing on the inside of the 3G USB slot when its open, since that's not normal use.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:55 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Only once in a while, when he screen is changing between Apps, never within...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:17 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I think it really depends on how you handle the device and how much pressure you put on the sides. I tend to be quite gentle with it and have very little problems with the distortion.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:52 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Not by the way hold devices, that just cause hardware.

I had 1 no screen problem but 2 other customer buy same time with me had this problem, they get back money and take SS tab 101.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:06 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

DiscoFred78 wrote:
I think it really depends on how you handle the device and how much pressure you put on the sides. I tend to be quite gentle with it and have very little problems with the distortion.

It should work with no distortion at all.
I'm not buying before this issue is solved.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:14 am 
Archos User
Archos User

RoboMan wrote:
It should work with no distortion at all.
I'm not buying before this issue is solved.

This is simply poor research and development. Archos have been in the game long enough, so there are no excuses. I have a 704 which has great build quality, I was going to buy two G9 80's, not any more. I'm disappointed that such a basic design flaw has happened, and Archos as usual are silent on the issue.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:44 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

jimexbox wrote:
RoboMan wrote:
and Archos as usual are silent on the issue.

http://www.arctablet.com/blog/archos-ta ... een-issue/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:59 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

Myth0S wrote:

Thanks for the link, to quote the article...

"the issue is already fixed in the manufacturing process and the next products to be distributed should not be impacted"

If its been fixed in the manufacturing process then the products sold with screen issues are defective and should not be sold.

Last edited by jimexbox on Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:57 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

jimexbox wrote:
Myth0S wrote:

Thanks for the link, to quote the article...

"the issue is already fixed in the manufacturing process and the next products to be distributed should not be impacted"

If its been fixed in the manufacturing process then the products sold with screen issues are defective and should not sold.

they could grace us with something more official :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:52 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I don't have the freaky looking effect shown in that youtube vid when pressing on the sides or on the screen; if I'd had the effect in that video on my unit, I'd have RMA'd it the same day. When pressing on the back of the screen I do see a slight effect directly over the point I'm pressing on, but nothing that seems unreasonable or problematic.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:08 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Here's a email from them they sent me

I have just read the posts I assume you were referring to (www.archosfans.com) and have noticed that a lot of people who have mentioned a screen defect are saying that it only occurs when they push on the back of the device at a specific place. Why they would do this I do not know. I have an Archos 80 myself and we have a few demo units here in the office and none of them have either an issue with the screen or the speakers. It may be that the people who created these posts do indeed have a faulty device, but if they are intentionally applying pressure to the back of the screen, they are not using the device as intended. In one post I read that by just placing the device on a flat surface, the screen displayed a fault (this would definitely be a faulty unit which would be replaced), in another one person removed their 3G stick and applied pressure to a specific part of the USB port (I have no idea why someone would do this). I do not think that there is a genuine defect in the design of the device as I have not had any A80ÔÇÖs returned to myself for this reason.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:49 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

arrasmith wrote:
In reference to the Archos rep email ...

FC360 wrote:
... if they are intentionally applying pressure to the back of the screen, they are not using the device as intended. In one post I read that by just placing the device on a flat surface, the screen displayed a fault (this would definitely be a faulty unit which would be replaced), in another one person removed their 3G stick and applied pressure to a specific part of the USB port (I have no idea why someone would do this). I do not think that there is a genuine defect in the design of the device as I have not had any A80ÔÇÖs returned to myself for this reason.

If you hold the 80 with your left hand, thumb on top, and fingers under. Notice where your fingers are? At the point of the USB connector.

and it seems some people did get tablets that do not have distortion problems when just holding the tablet in left hand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 3:21 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

I have no problems when my G9 80 is on a flat surface, or when I am holding it by the edges. If, however, I am holding it in one or two hands, then if my fingers are on the back then I can see 'bubbling' on the screen in the area in front of the USB socket for the 3G dongle. This is the standard kind of distortion you get if you press on the back of a laptop display. This is only really noticeable when the screen is displaying text on a dark grey background - for example, on settings pages. It does not take much pressure (so just holding the tablet while tapping or dragging on the screen is enough), and it does not matter much where you are pressing on the back: it is always the area around the USB socket that shows the problem.

As the effect is not that obtrusive, I would be tempted to ignore it. However, the fact that it is always the same part of the display that is receiving the pressure make me worry that it may lead to screen failure in the long term. I shall probably try to get Archos to replace the unit.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:47 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Quote:
I sent mine back to get fixed because my touchscreen died just above the area of the distortions (the entire top 1cm was dead for me). So I can't test an idea I just had now. Can you try it for me? If I remember right, the plastic insert for the back was a lot more then just a cover. It had some structural features that may be to transfer stress across it rather then into the back.

My idea: cut a flat rubberband into small pieces and place them at the side edges of the 3G cover when you slide it into place. It will probably be hard to find the right fit and location. And a rubberband is probably to thick. But, I'm wondering if a tighter fit on the sides of the door will keep the stresses from transferring to the back of the LCD.

On my unit the 3G cover is a fairly tight fit! No room for rubber bands and even a single sheet of paper is difficult. In noticed no difference.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:20 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Nigel wrote:
On my unit the 3G cover is a fairly tight fit! No room for rubber bands and even a single sheet of paper is difficult. In noticed no difference.

Thanks for checking. I'm assuming I shouldn't have told you to do that, because I got banned. :oops: First time I got banned from anything.

Anyway, off to wait for my 80 go come back from RMA. Good luck with yours.

- arrasmith