Forum.ArchosFans.com
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 80 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 8GB: Buy now (free shipping)
Archos 101 G9 1.5Ghz 1GB RAM ICS 250GB: Buy now (free shipping)
 * Register    * Login 

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:44 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:01 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

hoopsontoast wrote:
Sorry should say its not a permanent fix, it just springs back, should have made that clear.

I am pretty sure thats the problem though.

oh great... what about putting thick paper there? so that the clip does not touch the back of the screen directly in just one small spot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:21 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Sorry should have made that clear. #-o

To be honest, its not that noticeable when doing general stuff like browsing the internet etc.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:30 pm 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

Hajile_Ibushi wrote:
Craig@ARCHOS wrote:
Yes, those who are having issues can you please describe in more detail:

Is this from pressure you are applying?

Or does that wave appear randomly without touch?

Thank you.

Tap your fingernail against your LCD monitor. It looks like that.

That is because there is no touch substrate layer in a non-touch display. The display should NOT distort for a touch panel, due to the substrate layer (that is a reason why it is there, besides the touch sensors).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:30 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

So what's going on with this screen problem? I really want 1 but I'm not willing to pay £15+ for the product to be sent to me then for me to have to pay £5 to send it back to Archos for repair and for them to send me a new one only for that to have the same problem and me to pay another £5 to send it back again.

Have Archos identified the problem and have they started to fix new ones before shipping them out? I really need a Tablet PC and unless I can find out if Archos will be fixing the problem very soon I'll be getting a Dell Streak 7 since it's now got honeycomb.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:51 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

@FC360
It looks like they only designed the hardware on the computer where everything is rigid and didn't account for the variables (i.e. springs). Making springs also puts them in tension and you can't really tell if you've pushed it too far, and how far it'll spring back to the original shape after a certain time. Needs better manufacturing process, but i hope it gets fixed by the time the 1.5Ghz comes around. Good news is that it's not the battery or any of the solid hardware, so they may have engineered enough gap between the screen and the rest of the components and the spring was just the one flaw.

Of course, the other tablets have different components inside so there's no guarantee the next tablet won't have the battery or harddrive hit the screen after all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:14 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

exelletor wrote:
I don't think that Apple/Samsung/Asus etc. would do it better. You certainly have a damaged product which should be returned. No company will send you a new unit without receiving your first one. My advice is to just go on holiday and after you return, just to RMA the device.

Not true. I had a Kingston Memories DIMM that died after about 3 years. Kingston give lifetime warranties so I called them and they sent me a replacement with a prepaid Fedex envelope for me to return my broken unit. I got my new DIMM two days after I called - then I returned my unit. They wanted my CC number in case I did not return my unit, but they did not charge me. Needless to say I have always bought Kingston Memories since then.

It is not that hard to do it right .

Don.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:05 am 
Archos Guru
Archos Guru

deet wrote:
exelletor wrote:
I don't think that Apple/Samsung/Asus etc. would do it better. You certainly have a damaged product which should be returned. No company will send you a new unit without receiving your first one. My advice is to just go on holiday and after you return, just to RMA the device.

Not true. I had a Kingston Memories DIMM that died after about 3 years. Kingston give lifetime warranties so I called them and they sent me a replacement with a prepaid Fedex envelope for me to return my broken unit. I got my new DIMM two days after I called - then I returned my unit. They wanted my CC number in case I did not return my unit, but they did not charge me. Needless to say I have always bought Kingston Memories since then.

It is not that hard to do it right .

Don.

Kingston is an american company right?

Unfortunately, parcel system isn't as firmly established everywhere. It would be nice if i could do the same here, but we're still doing thing by walking. A parcel from archos hq would double the price of the tablet. At worst it'll be held in customs and we have to pay for storage fee as well for each day as well up to the time we pick it up, on top of the taxes and fees.

As is, getting an Archos is already a risk for us. There's zero support from Archos and considering how small a company they are, it's unlikely to change anytime in the future.

Delayed 'til next year, Questionable build quality, Zero technical support. Odds of me getting a defective unit is very high, and when i do, i'm pretty much screwed. Only shows how much of an anime enthusiast i am i suppose. I'm literally grasping at straws now and strongly considering the W500 and GT10.1.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:58 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Is there any news from Archos on this issue?

I would say about 75% of the time (Browsing internet) i dont notice the ripple, its only when you change position or hold it just with your left hand and your middle/index finder rests near the 3G Stick Slot.

I have not decided to send it back yet, i 'could' live with it, but its not ideal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:37 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hoopsontoast wrote:
Is there any news from Archos on this issue?

I would say about 75% of the time (Browsing internet) i dont notice the ripple, its only when you change position or hold it just with your left hand and your middle/index finder rests near the 3G Stick Slot.

I have not decided to send it back yet, i 'could' live with it, but its not ideal.

Same here, I will not send it back for it, and putting a folded paper between the clip and screen did actually made it a little better.

Would be nice to have a 'How to fix in 5 minutes' description :-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:27 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I just got my new archos and I obviously was having the same issue. Instead of putting something between the display and the clip I simply cut away the plastic bit in front of the clip and then removed the clip itself.

It solved the problem of rippling at the slightest touch and is far more resilient now. Since I mainly hold the device in my left hand the ripples were a huge issue. now unless I am really gripping it hard they dont appear near the USB. But the speaker ripple is still more visible than the USB ripples.

I am very experienced in computer hardware repair so I dont have an issue messing with tiny parts but for some reason I cannot get that other clip out. It seems as though the plastic piece in front of it is thicker.

Also, does anyone have any idea how I can gain access to the speaker? I am not educated on how this device is put together so I am not willing to start prying if I cant put anything back together.

I will post a quick "How to guide" with photos in the coming days. It took me about 15 minutes to get the first clip out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:38 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Here is how I fixed the ripples caused by the USB clips.

Heres what you will need:
- GOOD lighting
- Steady hands
- Small flat-head screwdriver
- Small needle nose pliers

Please note that this method requires the removal of plastic and clips. The work is not visible with the dummy 3G stick in place. Continue at youre own risk

1. Remove dummy 3g stick.
2. with the needle nose pliers remove the thin plastic shielding the clip on both sides of the USB port.
3. using the flat head screwdriver carefully and gently pry the clip from the back plastic.
- Be careful as once it is lose it way fall into the device. make sure to have it angled toward you so it falls out.
4. Remove the clip and bend and residual plastic down so the dummy stick fits.

This solved the USB ripples for me but I am still suffering from the speaker ripples. Once I figure out a way to get into the device without breaking it I should be able to solve the problem as well.

(I will post pictures of the final work once my camera charges. lol)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks very much for this.

It does seem ridiculous that we have to resort to this sort of thing on a new product. I can't see this happening on a tablet from a mainstream company.

I bought mine direct from Archos, and I really, really don't want to have to send it back. I guess this is an 'early adopter tax'. I should have waited.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:10 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Thanks for that =D>

If i do this, will it invalidate the warranty?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:31 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I guess it will void warranty. But I think Archos should read this tutorial and send it to their manufacturers...

Maybe Craig from Archos could comment on this?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:42 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

I dont mind doing it myself, rather than sending it back. Is the warranty 1year BTW?

No reply from Archos on the Screen Issue yet on here or Facebook :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:43 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Its not good for Archos and their client if Archos decided to put their head into the sand and not facing the problem, since its seems its getting wide spread.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:32 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Hi all, I'm new to this forum...

About the screen problem, I saw an article on archoslounge.

http://www.archoslounge.net/Probleme-d- ... A80G9.html

It's in french ; they say Archos is aware of it and has already fix the problem for the next productions to come.
Archos says also that this problem doesn't affect the performances or the longevity of the device. And just a part of the actual tablets have this problem.

I hope it helps...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:34 pm 
Archos User
Archos User

It's a really thin tablet and if I press hard on the back it flexes and I get the weird effect on the screen. I have to press pretty hard though. My missus has the same tablet and she hasn't mentioned it- so no problem. The tablets exceed my and her expectations if only the latest firmware had been tested properly, I had to downgrade to get haptic feedback and the rear USB port working at the expense of Google talk. The new firmware seemed to cause random reboots too, so far on the .22 firmware it has locked up just once.

A sound purchase.

My top tip- buy thumb keyboard, it's brilliant!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:17 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

bobby72 wrote:
It's in french ; they say Archos is aware of it and has already fix the problem for the next productions to come.
Archos says also that this problem doesn't affect the performances or the longevity of the device. And just a part of the actual tablets have this problem.

Great news. But what about customers who already got a defective device, i.e. a tablet with display error? May they send in their device to Archos and get it replaced or fixed?

So I guess the Turbo version will not be affected by the display error any more? And when is the Turbo version expected to be available at all?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 7:47 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

If it's not going to damage the screen or shorten it's life, I might put up with. I notice it more after coming on here and reading the posts!

Then again, does anyone know where I can get some small needle nose pliers???

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 136 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next