Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:39 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: A very bad experience
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:05 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This is the first time in my life that I am making a complaint about a device. I test cell phones for a provider in Canada and help out in their support department, so I consider myself very knowledgable. Also I'm a software engineer. Some of my cellphones are years old, including a Compaq PDA that is well over 15 years old and still in perfect condition and a 10 year old Apple iPod, so is my husband's Samsung Galaxy Tab (the original 7" one from 2010) which he still uses every day.

In October 2012, my husband and I purchased two Archos 101 G9 10" tablets from Amazon. Although right from the start we weren't overly impressed with the quality and lack of updates, but the price was attractive.

In May 2013, my husband's device flatly refused to be switched on. After some email exchanges and a phone conversation with a pleasant Rep, we were asked to send the device to the USA at our own expense for a warranty repair. Cost of shipping: well over $40. After a total lack of communication, in July we finally received the replacement without a single word of explanation or apology. Also, we received a downgraded model in return, it had a much slower CPU and older software which we then had to upgrade to ICS. It lags no end and every time my husband switches it on, there are extremely irritating popups in the right bottom corner where it goes into a perpetual update cycle that lasts for minutes until he can finally use it.

Now, January 2014, my own device has suffered the same fate: it is DEAD. It is fully charged, but neither holding the power button for half a minute, holding the power + volume up button nor any other combination makes it budge.

While we mourn its demise, realizing the time of warranty is now gone, please rest assured that we will NEVER again consider buying an Archos. Right now we have had a failure rate of 100% so it's a matter of waiting for the last remaining one to go... I wish my first and most likely only post on these forums could have been a raving review for Archos and their products, and I realize my complaint won't do any good, but I'm afraid I have absolutely nothing positive to say. It is not my nature to post negativity, but I'm justifiably fed up. Thank heavens there is competition out there. I will say this much with firm conviction, anyone considering an Archos should seriously consider the options out there.

Thanks for listening, a very disappointed consumer