Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:02 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Recovery Help
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:05 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Greetings!
I have been attempting to recover a 10.1 G9 250go tablet for the last several days with no success. I'm hoping the gurus here might have some ideas/suggestions.
The issue (husband's tablet, so initial info might be a little sketchy):
-was working fine, he had been reading on it before bed. It had plenty of battery charge left, so he shut it down and went to sleep as usual.
-Next morning, he tried to boot it, and got the animated logo, but nothing more. If we left it alone, it didn't respond to anything besides force reset and recovery menu. It would sit for any length of time with the pretty shining logo.
What has been tried:
-After several force restarts and shut-down-let-it-sit tries, we began trying the recovery menu options.
-At first, it did not want to complete the check disk, and he got impatient and forced shutdown. After several attempts, he gave up and I finally got him to leave it alone for a few days (we were away from home, so no PC access).
-Now that I can get to my PC to work on it, here is what I have tried:
*Simple startup: same results. Pretty animated logo... OOoooo... Same result after several force-restarts.
*Recovery menu: Checkdisk completed, no further messages given.
*Update Firmware: Plug in AC adapter, began update and... power went out *facepalm*...
*Update Firmware 2nd try: it hangs with the blue bar less than 1/4 completed, I have had it sitting for several hours now with no progress.
That is where I stand, so if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be eternally grateful!

Post subject: Re: Recovery Help
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:51 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Zura wrote:
I'm hoping the gurus here might have some ideas/suggestions.

First off, I feel I should mention that there really are no 'guru's here. This is simply a 'user' forum where other users try to help out. Having said that... the 250GB HDD Archos tablets have always been a bit tricky (and, from what I read never actually worked all the well).

So, instead of asking here I would highly recommend contacting/calling Archos directly and ask them about the best way to fix you device... especially, since at this point, it almost sounds like you've already totally wiped out the firmware on the device.

Unfortunately, I do not have any experience with the 250GB version, but I will assume it's pretty much similar to how starting over from total scratch is on the 8GB or 16GB versions. However, I would have to say the MOST IMPORTANT THING is to know just which firmware version you had on the device (before it got messed up).

The reason I say that is simply because there are far too many other weird problems with any of the 4.0.2x versions, and if you had 4.0.7 (or lower) you may NOT want to upgrade. And, if you did have 4.0.7 (or lower) and now do upgrade to ANY of the 4.0.2x versions there is NO WAY to ever downgrade back (other than learning how to 'root' your tablet and install an older 'rooted' version of the firmware.

I've always kind of wanted to get one of the Archos 250GB G9's, but since the hard drive in it is ONLY of any use for documents/photos/music/video... and it has less then 2GB to install any apps in... well, just was not anything I actually needed (I can always store all that other stuff on a sdcard or USB Thumb drive, so I've only got the Flash memory models simply for more app install space).

Wish I could help you out more. Maybe someone else will reply with better information to do so.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:11 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Oh, I understand that this is a user-helping-user forum :) Sometimes boards like this are more productive than contacting the mfr as other folks may have had the same issue or experience. I was holding out hope!

It does sound like the firmware has been wiped out... I'll have to give the hubby bad news. I'm not sure that he'll RMA it as this will be the 3rd (I think) that has either crapped out or been sent to us completely blank. It does seem that they are a little tweaky, as even mine has problems. I don't have nearly the number of apps, movies or documents on mine that he does and mine has what seems to be an occasional video issue.

They are great for storing movies, docs and music as you said, but if I ever replace mine, I think I'll follow your example and use an SD or Thumb drive with smaller internal memory. They seem to be less problematic, and that will be more than enough for my tablet's primary purpose: storing and sorting recipes!

Thank you much for your suggestions, they are greatly appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:17 pm 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

Zura wrote:
I'll have to give the hubby bad news. I'm not sure that he'll RMA it as this will be the 3rd (I think) that has either crapped out or been sent to us completely blank.

I'm really sorry to hear that, but from what I've read in various other forum posts there does seem to be a lot of people that have have very poor luck with Archos products.

On my end, I have:
2 -- Archos 70b (running Honeycomb).
2 -- Archos 80 G9 (one 8GB flash, the other 16GB flash memory).
1 -- Archos 101 G9 (8GB flash memory)

And, oddly, none of those has ever really totally crapped out on my (yet, fingers crossed) even with all of the extra screwing around with rooting them, installing multiple versions of rooted firmware, and/or re-installing stock Archos (non-rooted) firmware.

I do have one other Archos 80 G9 (8GB flash memory) device that the USB jack broke on, BUT the reason it broke was an accident that was totally my own fault (although there are a lot of other people that had the USB jack go bad due to flaws in manufacturing).

Unfortunately, as I mentioned, I've never had one of the 250GB HDD models to play around with. So, I really do not know enough about those to give you any real help. Again, sorry about that.