Forum.ArchosFans.com

Unofficial Archos Support Forum
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:19 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:00 am 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

This is for info, I take no responsibility if anything goes wrong if you try this. im only telling you what I did to fix my archos and that it worked for me.

If your unlucky and broke your micro usb on your g9 101 turbos, motherboard,
you can either try getting a micro usb and fixing it(good luck) its hard, very hard . I tried and failed badly.
anyways

I did not give up lukcily the archos has a spare usb which is for the 3g dongle? I disconected the ribbion to this, and I soldered 2 wires from the + and - on back of usb and soldered them directly to the + and - on the motherboard which led to the battries also.

hey presto I can charge my archos now . the battery seems to have circuit protection built in as I have left to charge and the battery does not exceed 100% percent. although once it reaches 100% percent I would not charge any further. also I noticed the archos charges much faster this way, can get a full charge in about 1 hour.

ok now the technical bits .. when your using your archos it will not show that it is charging , the only way you can tell if the tablet is charging is if you put the archos in to deep sleep, when you check it again after short period it will automatically update battery status. but your battery will never show it is charging . as the sensors on the motherboard have been bypassed.

u will need to aquire a usb male to male cable cost a couple quid of ebay u can either charge of your pc or a usb port adapter make sure the adapter does not exceed 500mah.

I can no longer acess my tablet through usb , but I am using a wirless program of app store that lets me connect over my network , so I can still access my files on the archos or add anything I need.
or just use your micro sd or Bluetooth for file transfers.

also the new usb connection moves , I think this was to make it easier to fit a dongle. anyway all I did to stop the movment was push it right back and super glued the sides so it stays in a fixed place now.

hope this helps anybody who wanted the info

thanks peace out!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:18 am 
Archos Expert
Archos Expert

While what you have mentioned MAY WORK for those that only need a way to be able to charge their devices...

I'm in a totally different situation!

I had done a full re-format BEFORE I found out that my USB jack was broken. As such, I can not even install any firmware at all now anymore!

So, just a heads up for anyone else that does any kind of re-rigging the USB just to be able to charge... If you CAN NOT any longer connect to a computer with a USB connection, then you also can NOT ever do a full re-format and/or install ANY firmware after either!

It really sucks that Archos 'double sided' things. By that I mean soldering the USB jack on the top of the circuit board and then soldering the sdcard slot right under it on the back side of the board. From any kind of repair point of thinking that was really rather stupid (not to mention you can not insert/remove an sdcard if there is anything plugged into the USB jack... like a USB Host cable for a mouse or keyboard).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:12 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

"togood",

Can you advise if your 101G9 is still working now after your work-around for charging? I have three of these device that have this same issue. I purchased 5 of these devices for family members and one was replaced while still in warranty for a new device for this exact issue. Very shortly after the warranty expired, three of the devices failed with the same issue. This really sounds like a manufacturing fault to me. 4 out of 6 devices with the same fault!

A repair shop I brought them too said they cannot re-solder the USB/DC jack as the connection to the motherboard is too weak and it will just break again. I mentioned your fix to them to see if they would carry out this repair, but they wouldn't. They said this will lead to other issues with the device as it is not designed to charge through that port and would cause other things to fail.

Maybe you can advise how yours is working?

Also, maybe you can add a pic or two of your fix so I can try to carry out myself...?

Thanks in advance...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:41 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

hi just to update on the I have tried leaving the 3g dongle ribbon cable plugged in to the motherboard and it does not affect the unit. now I can at least connect a usb drive to device to watch movies and stuff.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:58 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

togood wrote:
This is for info, I take no responsibility if anything goes wrong if you try this. im only telling you what I did to fix my archos and that it worked for me.

If your unlucky and broke your micro usb on your g9 101 turbos, motherboard,
you can either try getting a micro usb and fixing it(good luck) its hard, very hard . I tried and failed badly.
anyways

I did not give up lukcily the archos has a spare usb which is for the 3g dongle? I disconected the ribbon to this, and I soldered 2 wires from the + and - on back of usb and soldered them directly to the + and - on the motherboard which led to the battries also.

This is the best method to put your house on fire! :shock:
DON'T PLAY WITH LITHIUM BATTERIES! THEY BURN/EXPLODE IF CHARGED TOO MUCH!
On my device there's even a label sticked on the batteries saying that!

You should instead solder cable from USB port to where the original charging port was soldered: quite difficult due to very little terminals, but safe for battery. Just consider that as a GND terminal you can use the whole mini-USB socket envelope; so you'll have actually to solder just ONE pin.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 3:01 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

GlennLawr wrote:
This really sounds like a manufacturing fault to me. 4 out of 6 devices with the same fault!

no, it's just that...

GlennLawr wrote:
A repair shop I brought them too said they cannot re-solder the USB/DC jack as the connection to the motherboard is too weak and it will just break again.

right, that is! Abd it's gonna happen more and more often on any device now that mini-USB charge method is mandatory: mini-USB is not designed for such an intensive use (a dozen of connection per day, i.e. every time you want to fill battery up a bit).

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 12:34 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

when i charge the battery i tend to leave the device on so it is still discharging at the same time. i did try to solder a connection to the original battery terminal but failed badly not very good at soldering . i had a freinf this week same device he dropped the archos while charging ? his u nsb is now loose. typical of this product. i have a spare archos , i will again try what you suggested solidrng at the original point, i may invest in some micro soldering tips to assist?

will keep you posted , and il try the suggestion of the ground - on the usb , seems to make sense so i only need to get on wire connected to the port to work.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2014 1:51 pm 
Archos Novice
Archos Novice

Remember: lithium maximum charge voltage is 4.20V; charging above makes the battery catch fire; USB voltage is 5.0 V.
Crosslink:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... 3&e=895483